Oh no.......sat too long, won't start....now what

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Yes Shuey, I'll be looking for one of those lights soon as she's back. Rear ends are my biggest worry.

Sorry if I mistated, but the starter works fine, and turns the engine over. It just does not catch (fire). There are plenty of promising suggestions here to try once I get her nestled into my garage. I just worry that there is no pump sound. However it seems not to hard to find a used lower tank with pump on ebay for 150-200. Better than the 600+ retail just for the pump.

There sure are a LOT of ST upper tanks for sale on Ebay.

See ya at one of the future STOCs...

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Jim this is a great pic. Did you take it or is there a source to a much larger version? (Sorry for the thread detour)

Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
However it seems not to hard to find a used lower tank with pump on ebay for 150-200. Better than the 600+ retail just for the pump.

There sure are a LOT of ST upper tanks for sale on Ebay.

See ya at one of the future STOCs...
You can get a brand new fuel system including pump and filter for $366 and free shipping at Partszilla.com. Have used them for genuine honda parts over the years. Check this thread for very detailed replacement guides, less than an hour job for an experienced tech like you.

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Always happy to share the product. Though I'd love to run a still, that is illegal without licensing (which carries a regulatory overhead that is just too much hassle). So... I brew beer and make mead. As a brewer, you usually want to brew way more beer than you'll ever be able to drink - up to 200 gallons per household per year. I occasionally hear my neighbors going in and out of my garage helping themselves to the kegs, that's awesome! I picked up the hobby about 3 years ago and it is really cool to make EXACTLY the type of beer you and your pals like. Hoping you find your bike only needs a quick and cheap fix.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thanks Mick. I've been looking on Ebay and there are a lot of lower tanks for 40-60, and some with fuel pump for around 150.
As mentioned, very little likelihood of a rusted out lower tank, BUT.... if that were indeed to be the case, I'd steer away from used tanks. The reason is that the the pump assembly fits and seals onto a very thin lip of the tank. If that lip is not perfectly flat, you have the possibility of it not sealing well and having a leak in the vicinity of a hot engine.

When I had to replace my lower tank, I was given a used tank that someone had laying around. When I got it and looked closely, I could see that the lip was slightly warped, probably from not following the proper tightening sequence or not using a torque wrench and cranking down too hard on the nuts. I decided not to risk it and just got a new lower tank for about $270+- from www.servicehonda.com. It was worth the money for the peace of mind. I also did not want to have to pull it out again!

Top Bottom