Ohlins Suspension for ST1300

Bike
04' ST1300A
Hi Guys - I am the owner of a 11/2004 ST1300A and I wanted to let others know about a chap in Sweden who has been selling Ohlins suspension for the ST1300. He has complete matched sets of both shock and fork springs which were commissioned by the Swedish Police for use on their ST's. They do not appear on the Ohlins website anywhere and I have so far had nil response from Ohlins directly when I have emailed them. I have contacted three buyers who have already purchased a set from him. The best response was from a fellow in the UK who gave me a great report, and very detailed instructions on fitting the rear shock which he said was a bit of a "bugger" to fit. On the strength of this I went ahead and ordered a set off eBay. They will be dispatched tomorrow, and I am looking forward to fitting them to my ST. I had been debating whether or not to order a Penske shock and decided to have a look at the UK eBay site. I searched under "Pan European" and the suspension came up in my search. I am wondering if anyone else out there has heard of this situation before, and if they know the reason why this stuff would be on the (albeit) unofficial market? The suspension is brand new in the Ohlins box and costs quite a bit to freight to OZ.

Part numbers are -

Springs - 08753-10
Shock - HO737
eBay item number is - 320994216911 (on the UK eBay site)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with any further info on this - Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I looked, but failed to find anything Ohlins for the ST. I went full tilt Race Tech for the ST.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
I looked, but failed to find anything Ohlins for the ST. I went full tilt Race Tech for the ST.
Ohlins still have nothing listed to fit the ST ... but, this bloke has re-listed another set of suspension ... I do not know how many sets he has. Mine is on it's way. It is the fourth set he has sold as far as I can tell. The buyers I have been communicating with have all said the same thing, good result. My set has made it's way via UPS from Sweden - Denmark - Germany - latest location is Louisville Kentucky. I will keep this thread posted on how I go with some photos when it shows. I will also detail any other info I can get hold of along with install photos and a ride report when I eventually get the fork springs and shock installed. :D

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Suspension arrived as promised today - looks nice. New in the box from Haken Sundstrom Racing. From what I can tell, this guy develops products for all sorts of applications. One of his brochures shows a series of photos of the Police Model ST undergoing fitment of various pieces of equipment to it. I can only presume the Ohlins Suspension was ordered by the Swedish Police as an upgrade to OEM stuff. Anyway it is brand new and looks the business. Remote reservoir is for adjusting compression damping and it has a rotating plastic ring on the bottom of the shock just above the eye for rebound according to the manual I received with it. Pre-load is manually adjusted with the supplied C spanner. I will be installing the shock and fork springs next week sometime when i am rostered off work so I will keep on with the story then.IMG_1954.jpgIMG_1951.jpg

I would be very interested in your mod. Ohlin's are excellent shocks and worth every penny that is spent on them. I will be waiting and watching your progress. Good luck.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
I would be very interested in your mod. Ohlin's are excellent shocks and worth every penny that is spent on them. I will be waiting and watching your progress. Good luck.
Cheers mate. I have had confirmation from Haken that he has very close contact with Ohlins Racing AB, and that these components are part of a limited production run from Ohlins that were ordered by his company. He mentioned that he has stocks of both fork springs and shocks for the ST as they did not use them all when the Police bikes were modified. The main reason stated for development of this product was to enable the Swedish Motorcycle Policemen to "Go faster safely" (His words) They use a mixture of the ST1300 and the FJR1300, and a number of both these models were fitted with this modification. I am afraid I don't know much more than this for now. I have also asked Haken to provide me with baseline settings for the shock so I have a start point when "dialling" the shock in, and what type/grade of oil was used in the forks of the Police ST's that were modified. He has yet to get back to me on this, but I get the impression that he is a very busy guy. He has more sets available as he re-listed a similar set after I purchased mine.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Doh2.jpg
Cheers mate. I have had confirmation from Haken that he has very close contact with Ohlins Racing AB, and that these components are part of a limited production run from Ohlins that were ordered by his company. He mentioned that he has stocks of both fork springs and shocks for the ST as they did not use them all when the Police bikes were modified. The main reason stated for development of this product was to enable the Swedish Motorcycle Policemen to "Go faster safely" (His words) They use a mixture of the ST1300 and the FJR1300, and a number of both these models were fitted with this modification. I am afraid I don't know much more than this for now. I have also asked Haken to provide me with baseline settings for the shock so I have a start point when "dialling" the shock in, and what type/grade of oil was used in the forks of the Police ST's that were modified. He has yet to get back to me on this, but I get the impression that he is a very busy guy. He has more sets available as he re-listed a similar set after I purchased mine.
Had a crack at installing the shock yesterday but had to call it quits for now. Got the shock mounted up OK, but the remote reservoir is supposed to fit where my cruise control actuator is !!! I did mount it up with the beautifully made bracket that came with the shock, but ... if I had left it there it would have interfered with the swing arm travel and destroyed the reservoir. More thinking required to come up with a solution. Have a look at the photos guys and see if you can think of something. I even got desperate enough at one stage to consider ripping out my MC Cruise Control actuator nooooooooo ........ What do you technical boffins think???Doh1.jpgDoh3.jpgDoh4.jpg:confused::confused::confused:

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Hello Mr. Tenor, I trust you are travelling well mate. As you seem to be the only one interested I thought I would just let you know that I finally nutted this out. I had to remove and replace my MC Controls CC actuator, and mount the remote reservoir above it and hold it on with a couple of zip ties. Believe me it ain't going nowhere! I have been for a bit of a ride with everything mounted up including the fork springs and I must admit it has made an amazing difference to the bike. It now has a tremendous range of ride adjustments from soft(ish) and very compliant, to racetrack firm for high speed confidence in the twisties. It has been well worth the effort to get world class suspension on the old girl. Single best investment I think I have made on any bike I have owned. Haken has yet another set for sale on EBay if anyone is interested. IMG_1998.jpgIMG_1999.jpgIMG_2000.jpgIMG_2005.jpg If she lost a few kilos and I squint, she could (almost) pass for a Gixxer yes? Good result, Cheers Guys - Steve

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Steve,

I have been following your thread on this but unfortunately I could not offer any advice for you with the MC cruise servo situation. After you have more miles/km on it, post back what your thoughts are. Do you plan to do anything in the forks to upgrade the front suspension?

May have to wander over to eBay and see if I can make a holiday purchase.

Thanks for the information.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Hi Gator, and thanks for the encouragement mate. I guess it is easy to forget that lots of people have read this post but probably only a small number of folks are into mods like this. I suppose even only a smaller percentage of those would have a crack at doing something like this on their own. I was just looking for a few suggestions from like minded people and I was a little disappointed that no-one offered anything. I have become a bit lazy as I have gotten older, and I don't get the tools out much anymore. I am even considering (gasp!) selling my Gixxer as I am over getting looks like "Jeez, he looks old to be riding a bike like that !!" when I take off my helmet. Hopefully now I can take the ST to our local training venue and keep up with the students on our advanced roadcraft courses. It's no problem on the Gixxer, so I think I will challenge myself a little next time out. I am going for a decent ride on Tuesday if the weather holds out, and I intend to have a bit of a play with the settings then. At this point, the front end has stock internals apart from the Ohlins springs that came with the shock, and she steers a little differently now with them fitted. It is for sure a lot more accurate now, with less input required at the bars to initiate any turning at all. Slow speed stuff is also much better as well, with both ends feeling far more in control than before, ie - less dive/squat under power on applying the footbrake for full lock stuff. Overall so far so good, I will post up a report next week after my ride. There is one spot on the Ocean Road coming back from Apollo Bay where there is a large dip in the road surface on a medium/fast right hander. A couple of weeks ago on a pre-install ride (my favourite loop this ...) the whole thing decked out and ground away a bit of the brake lever which was exciting. Didn't bother the bike much but I had to change my underdaks shortly after. Hopefully it won't do the same thing on Tuesday when I do the same loop. (linky) - https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=207834106683535482735.0004ce39d9f918aec559e&msa=0 Anyone local, have a look at the link, it is a very technical and challenging piece of tarmac about 350 kms from my place and back. Talk to you next week folks, maybe with some pics of our lovely Ocean Road as well .......

Last edited:
OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
OOOPS, forgot to include the latest eBay item number from Haken --- 321018862828 Just type it into the search box, or copy and paste if you are slack like me -- :D Stay Upright eh?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Steve for the listing number. I see that the sale also includes fork springs.

Have a couple of days to think about the price which seems like a good deal. Shipping cost may be more than expected though.

And if I ever get to your part of the world, hopefully I can get on a bike and check out the loop you have posted. Looks like it would be a great ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Thanks to those who have PM'd me about this. I couldn't go for a fang last Tuesday as I got a dose of the flu. Getting over it now so I hope to have a decent ride in the next few days in between work commitments. So far I have been very pleased with the way the ST has been changed by this investment. I am now convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that good suspension is foundational to the way a bike feels and rides. Not only that but the confidence it gives you as a rider is nothing short of amazing. I now know I am not going to be thrown off line when I am cranked over in a corner and I go through a series of bumps on some of the goat tracks I ride on. Can't wait to take the ST to Apollo Bay and back. Cheers guys - Steve

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I toured the Ohlins USA factory in Hendersonville, NC this past September.... recommend you give them a call if you want some information, however you will pay full list. They have a slow time in the fall, but starting in January they get real busy so don't expect any quick service then. I also recommend you call Rick at Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC (motocd.com) as he is a Ohlins/RaceTech/Penske dealer. Rick was an engineer at Ohlins and is highly regarded by them. A friend of mine paid approx. 25% less (installed on his FJR) as he rode in for his rear shock change. Great deal. Maybe call Rick first and he can maybe tell you what's available for the ST.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Hi RaY - As far as I know, Ohlins have not yet brought anything to Market for the ST. I just happened across a development engineer who was working with the Swedish Police and I lucked in. I think he has just sold the last set of suspension he had on the shelf as he has not re-listed the item as on previous occasions. I feel pretty special now cos I think I am the only one in OZ with this stuff installed. Mighty good it is too may I add. - Cheers, Steve in Melbourne OZ.

OP
OP
kaptainkaos
Bike
04' ST1300A
Haken has relisted another set if anyone is interested

EBay Item number is below ---

Cheers - Steve;)

(Edit)

Well this will be the final installment ... I have now lived with the <new> ST for a while now and it has only cemented my opinion that one's boingers are THE most important part of the equation. When you have a range of adjustability that lets you set up your STeed virtually any way you want too, it makes it sooo easy to fiddle with.

I am extremely happy with the investment I have made, and I am now going to sell the Gixxer after a period of soul searching and giving in to the charms of the <revitalised> ST. If anyone wants to contact me to discuss this further feel free. Stay safe everyone and keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom