Oil change interval (time not miles)

Bike
2008 ST1300
Hey all.

I've had a lot going on the last couple of years, haven't put a lot of miles on my 08 ST. 3,506 to be exact in a few days short of two years exactly. I live in a cold part of the Northern US, 6 month snowy winter with my bike indoors in an unheated barn.

I changed my 3,506 mile,two year old oil and sent a sample to Blackstone for used oil analysis, including the extra TBN count.

Mobil 1 racing 4T synthetic, OEM Honda oil filter.

What do you all think? Two years too long? Post your guesses, we'll see how the oil looks in a few days when I get my report.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I would wonder about the filter material breaking down over a longer time span.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I ran my Amsoil for 2 years this time, as I didn't ride much last year. I'll change it at the end of this riding season and will again probably not have more than another 1000 kms. Back pain sucks! :)
I did change my oil filter though. I did a kick stand and shifter service, so taking the filter off made it easier.
I'm not worried about my crankshaft getting eaten up by any acids in the oil. :)
Local mechanics have said they have seen people often run their oil for two years and even done it themselves.
I'm curious to know what the report reveals.

Last edited:

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
After 2 winters in unheated storage, I would be most concerned about condensation. The freeze/thaw produces ice crystals on the inside of the engine case, gas tank, etc. then when it warms up, they melt creating the dreaded condensation! An oil and filter change is cheap insurance, not to mention, peace of mind. Just my own personal observation. Jevers

Bike
2010 ST1300
My guess is that the analysis will show the oil still had 30 to 50% of its useful life. I just changed oil in my GMC van - 6700 miles in about 2 1/2 years (Mobil 1). The dashboard oil life indicator said I had 30% of its life remaining. The first time I sent a sample to Blackstone, they said the remaining life in the oil was well over what the dashboard readout said it was. I agree 2.5 years is too long. Most of my driving is 50:50, freeway:surface roads.

A big part of this is, I suspect, the way recommended intervals are determined. My guess is that the numbers are an approximation or average for most users and the error will be toward the safe side - i.e. change oil slightly more often than necessary.

I too am curious what Blackstone says.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm not worried about my crankshaft getting eaten up by any acids in the oil. :) Local mechanics have said they have seen it often and even done it.
What have the mechanics done? The way I read that is they have dissolved crankshafts (journals) in acid.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
What have the mechanics done? The way I read that is they have dissolved crankshafts (journals) in acid.
lol.....Sorry. They said they have often ran their oil more than one season if the mileage was low, with no worries at all. They have suggested that to their customers as well.
Take Care

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good thought on the filter. It might still be in the trash, if it is I might cut it open. I expect it to be fine, but worth a look.

I would have no problem running Honda's 8k mile on my oil/filter if I hit that in a year (or maybe two) my only real concern was the age, as most literature you see says xxx miles OR 6 months, etc. I've consolidated my fleet to just two, so the ST should see quite a bit more mileage assuming my life cooperates.

One thing I presume in my favor, my ST really doesn't see too many short trips. I'd say not many under 15 miles, and most are 50-250 miles at a time, and I'm not afraid to run the hell out of it for fun. I'm pretty sure my oil gets up to temp on most of my rides, and stays there for long enough to burn off any condensation (hopefully).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you had high mileage on the oil it would be more of a concern. With only 3,500 on it, and if it always achieved full operating temperature and stayed there for a significant length of time when you did use it, I don't think that there is much to be concerned about.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I alway's dump mine once a year when the bike takes it's long winter nap. Doesn't matter how many miles I attained over the riding season. So if it was me I'd dump it. Honda GN 4 oil and a oil filter you might be out of 38 bucks but it would be great peace of mind for you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My guess is that the analysis will show the oil still had 30 to 50% of its useful life. I just changed oil in my GMC van - 6700 miles in about 2 1/2 years (Mobil 1). The dashboard oil life indicator said I had 30% of its life remaining. The first time I sent a sample to Blackstone, they said the remaining life in the oil was well over what the dashboard readout said it was. I agree 2.5 years is too long. Most of my driving is 50:50, freeway:surface roads.

A big part of this is, I suspect, the way recommended intervals are determined. My guess is that the numbers are an approximation or average for most users and the error will be toward the safe side - i.e. change oil slightly more often than necessary.

I too am curious what Blackstone says.
Have you ever noticed that the oil life indicator shows the same mileage and oil life remaining regardless of what oil you use?
I've run my wife's CRV and my Element with both Dino and Synthetic, and apparently the oil life indicator didn't know the difference ;)
Makes you wonder if its just another fancy "check engine light", or "smog" light designed to get folks back into the dealership for service work. :rolleyes:
Years ago the check engine light was just set to go on after so many miles.
Do you really think your oil life indicator is a small little computer that inspects your oil, and provides you a read out like Blackstone?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
To the OP, how many total miles on your bike?
That would make a difference on the results that return.
Is it low mileage and still breaking in, or a used auction bike with 100k miles on it?
Just curious.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you ever noticed that the oil life indicator shows the same mileage and oil life remaining regardless of what oil you use?
I've run my wife's CRV and my Element with both Dino and Synthetic, and apparently the oil life indicator didn't know the difference ;)
Makes you wonder if its just another fancy "check engine light", or "smog" light designed to get folks back into the dealership for service work. :rolleyes:
Do you really think your oil life indicator is a small little computer that inspects your oil, and provides you a read out like Blackstone?
I don't change brands of oil - it used to be Shell, and then Mobil 1. While the different cars I own use different viscosities, I only buy Mobil 1 now.

My GMC wants the Dexos label on the oil. My best uneducated guess is this means oils with that label have a specific additive package or meet certain performance specs. My second best uned. guess is that my van has an algorithm that tracks how long and how often the engine is run and balances that against how long research has shown said additive package will continue to protect the engine.

I am cynical, but not so much that I believe a check engine light exists to draw cars back to dealerships for service. I still think were, say, GM or Ford to do that they would get caught by a 14 year old hacker and the subsequent black eye would cost them far too much - in real $$$ and reputation. Do you think VW got away with the diesel masking software scot-free? I bought tires from NTB last year after asking around here. While they were being installed they phoned me to tell me I needed new brake pads and front rotors. I told them to skip it and I would take the car to my trusted mechanic (seriously - I said that). Howard pulled my pads and told me one caliper pin had seized. The pads had worn more or less evenly and I had between half and 1/3 of the pads remaining. So, sure, there are crooks out there, but I am still idealistic enough to hope and trust that the mfr's are not that dishonest...yet.

Given how we - ST owners as a group - take care of our bikes (I'd guess it's way better than average) and how many things you find wrong with these 'well maintained' bikes, is a kick in the butt to have a mechanic look over the car every several thousand miles such a bad thing? Absent a check engine light, how many owners take their cars in for regular checks? I'm thinking now of a hardware mfr's rep acquaintance of mine who bragged he never changed the oil in the 75,000 miles he owned a hunk of Detroit iron - all his mechanic did was add a quart now and then....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have never checked the difference in oil life based on type of oil, so I can't dispute or confirm that. I would not be surprised if that is the case however. Most oil life monitors operate on an algorithm that monitors driving conditions such as temperature, run time, idle time, duration at high RPM, duration at low RPM, etc.. Using those parameters, the result would be the same regardless of oil type. This is because they are not actually testing the oil. They are monitoring the conditions that the oil is being subjected to, and then applying the law of averages.

Previously I always changed my engine oil at the mileage intervals specified by the manufacturer. What I do know is that every vehicle that I have had since the oil life indicators came out advises me to change the oil at a mileage interval far beyond the mileage that I used to when it was being done based on the manufacturers mileage recommendations alone. If their goal was to get me in for oil changes more frequently, they screwed up the software and shot themselves in the foot.

I was working as mechanic in a GM dealership many years ago during the time that the transition from carburetors to fuel injection happened, and for a long time afterwards. There was no such mileage trigger for the check engine light of any vehicle that I worked on. If the check engine light came on, it was because there was a fault detected. Many vehicles did have a maintenance reminder light that is intended to remind people about maintenance events that are based on mileage. If this is what you are referring to, that is whole different system apart from the check engine light, and its computer monitors different things alltogether.

I also fully admit that I don't know what is happening with the latest model vehicles as I no longer do that work.

Top Bottom