Oil change interval (time not miles)

Bike
2000 ST1100
I alway's go buy what the owners manual say. On my old 05 corolla it says every 5K regardless of what type of oil used. On the 11 Mazda cx7 it was changed at 6K and the manual called for a synthetic oil. And on the ST1100 yearly or 8K whichever came first which called for 10W 40 non synthetic oil. On the lawnmower it was yearly at the beginning of the season. Filled that thing with whatever oil was left over in my container bottles and it's still running after some odd 11 years:biggrin:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Many vehicles no longer specify oil changes by mileage. My owner's manuals states to change the oil when the oil life monitor indicates to or once a year, whichever comes first. There is no mileage recommendation.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Many vehicles no longer specify oil changes by mileage. My owner's manuals states to change the oil when the oil life monitor indicates to or once a year, whichever comes first. There is no mileage recommendation.
My old corolla did had a light that would come on every 5 K miles. The 11 Mazda had a maintenance reminder that would come on to change oil. Both had instructions to change it at the recommended 6 months or 5K on the Toyota and 6K or 7.5 months for severe duty at 6K miles in the owners manual. I think its when we have owned lots of vehicles and we are elderly/ mature we know how to maintain a vehicle. The owners manual has worked for me for some odd 50 years so I'm going keep using it. Never showed me wrong.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think its when we have owned lots of vehicles and we are elderly/ mature we know how to maintain a vehicle. The owners manual has worked for me for some odd 50 years so I'm going keep using it. Never showed me wrong.
My owner's manual has no mileage recommendation. By changing the oil when the oil life indicator advises to, I am following the owner's manual.

I don't know how old your Toyota is or what system it uses, but on many older vehicles you are quite correct that the oil change reminder is based on mileage alone. Older vehicles didn't have the ability to monitor engine operating conditions in an effective enough manner to allow a reliable dynamic recommendation of oil change intervals, so it was based on an arbitrary fixed mileage interval.

With any modern vehicle that is equipped with an oil life monitoring system, applying the same maintenance program and changing the engine oil based on mileage alone at relatively low intervals like 5,000 miles is something that many people continue to do. This mostly results in unnecessary premature oil changes. These are not only wasteful of both money and resources, they do not provide any appreciable benefit to the engine either. Modern engine management and improved engine oils have increased oil change intervals significantly. The intervals suggested by the oil life monitor cause me no concern.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My owner's manual has no mileage recommendation. By changing the oil when the oil life indicator advises to, I am following the owner's manual.

I don't know how old your Toyota is or what system it uses, but on many older vehicles you are quite correct that the oil change reminder is based on mileage alone. Older vehicles didn't have the ability to monitor engine operating conditions in an effective enough manner to allow a reliable dynamic recommendation of oil change intervals, so it was based on an arbitrary fixed mileage interval.

With any modern vehicle that is equipped with an oil life monitoring system, applying the same maintenance program and changing the engine oil based on mileage alone at relatively low intervals like 5,000 miles is something that many people continue to do. This mostly results in unnecessary premature oil changes. These are not only wasteful of both money and resources, they do not provide any appreciable benefit to the engine either. Modern engine management and improved engine oils have increased oil change intervals significantly. The intervals suggested by the oil life monitor cause me no concern.
I hear you. At the time when I bought my 2005 corolla new Toyota was having blown engines caused by sludging. So thus their 5000 mile recommendation. I currently am at 230K miles using Pennzoil yellow bottle non synthetic oil except for the last 2 years when Pennzoil discontuined it. So I'm using their synthetic blend. I did use the synthetic for the Mazda as that's whats called for in the manual with 6K mile change intervals. Never had an oil problem in any of my engines.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just an update, spoke to Blackstone, results expected Thursday evening.
I'm guessing it'll be just fine and dandy.
Because of the bug I didn't change my oil this spring, it was about 2000 miles and 10 moths old with a new Honda filter at the change. Bike stored in a cold garage for at least 6 months without being fired up.
Guess what.......just got to Spain and Portugal and back and the bike didn't seem to mind too much. Oil is still on the line and looking fresh but will be changed with a new Honda filter too, this week. It's probably done around 6000 miles on this oil now and it's just convenient to get it done.
Many talk about, "it's cheap insurance to change it". What about just putting decent oil in and riding.
Upt'North.

STOC #
On my st13 I change it at the end of the yr or 12k klm. Use Motul full synthetic.
My 2015 accord has a monitor that counts down every 10%. Warning light starts at 20%. Don’t think it has ever come on before 10k. Usually 12-14k. Dealer uses full synthetic also.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Interesting, viscosity had dropped to about 10-30. I know Honda started out at 40 and switched to 30, but looking at how it sheared down in not so many miles, I'm glad I started at 40 weight. I will continue to use the Mobil 1 racing 4t, and think I will go til 7k miles next time.

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Unless I missed it... Did you bring the oil up to operating temperature before draining? I'm assuming that you did, being that no water showed up in the analysis. Thanks for sharing your results! Jevers

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I did, I rode for about 15 minutes at 50-75mph, and pulled the sample from the middle of the pour. Probably 15 minutes went by between shutting down and draining, but it was still plenty warm.

No problem!

Top Bottom