Oil Filter For 2007 ST-1300A

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Just a simple question about the OEM oil filter for the ST listed above. I have it listed in my "data" as a 15410-MFJ-001. Just wanted to verify that was the right filter before I make an order. And yes I know I just look under the bike but.... The filter is the same number as I use on my Goldwing according to my data. But, I have been wrong before. Just want to make sure before I do a purchase.

Oh, the part number for the Wing has changed, it appears. New number is 15410-MFJ-D02 .

Edited to add:

I did a search and found this information from 2014.

Oil filter Part Number 15410MFJD02 which confirms it's the same as my Goldwing. So..... Just checking.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Or go to the auto parts store and get a Mobil 1-110A for $11 and save some money.
Yeah! I’ve used Mobil-1 110a or Mahle/Bosch 3323 filtre for over 37-yrs on my VFR. It just ticked over 100k-miles this year! :)

”a” on Mobil-1 filtre is good for 20k-miles with synthetic oil, vs 15k on non-“a” filtre. Although I use Honda’s recommendation for changing oil every 7500 miles or 1-yr, whichever comes 1st. Here it is at one of 20 trackdays/yr I do on it. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
The wing and the ST use the same filter. Honda is constantly changing the last 3 numbers on the filters depending on where they are made.

I just get a Mobil 1-110 filter at Wal Mart for my wing and am done with it. I used the same filter when I had my ST. I had over 60K on my ST when I got rid of it. I have over 70K on my wing and it is running great.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
”a” on Mobil-1 filtre is good for 20k-miles with synthetic oil, vs 15k on non-“a” filtre. Although I use Honda’s recommendation for changing oil every 7500 miles or 1-yr, whichever comes 1st. Here it is at one of 20 trackdays/yr I do on it. :)
I've always loved the look of the Interceptors, especially the 750 in that color scheme.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Years ago when I had multiple Honda motorcycles I discovered that Honda only had two models of oil filters for their motorcycles regardless of what the part number was. The only difference between them was the diameter, and presumably the amount of media internally. The thread size, O-ring, and sealing flange location were the same on both. If you had room for the larger diameter you could use either one. When I would ask the parts guy for a filter I would just tell him whether I wanted the small one or the large one.

I don't know if this is still the case as my only motorcycle has been the ST1300 for quite a few years now.

because of the filter location and difficulty to reach and remove I've switched to the K&N
oil filter because it has the 17mm hex fitting making it easy to remove and install with a socket on an extension.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Just a simple question about the OEM oil filter for the ST listed above. I have it listed in my "data" as a 15410-MFJ-001.
My :twocents1:
I've got the same model bike with over 167,xxx original miles and have only used the OEM filter you have listed.
I have stayed away from the automotive type filters but its your bike so you can decide.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A little tip however about easy removal/installation.
Once when I was at my local Honda dealer to buy an oil filter they didn't have any in stock. They did have an oil filter kit in stock however.
This kit does appear on the parts fiche diagram but the P/N for it is not listed.
This kit includes a Honda oil filter and the Honda oil filter socket- which has no P/N on it either. Because they didn't have the filter in stock they sold me this kit for the same price as the filter alone, so now I have the socket. The parts guy said it was called an oil filter kit. If you want one of these sockets, don't have the P/N, or the Honda dealer can't find the P/N for it, ask them to check for this kit P/N. They might just have one in stock like my local Honda dealer did and you'll have a filter to boot.

The kit is listed as;
FILTER SET, OIL 15010-MCE-H51

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
because of the filter location and difficulty to reach and remove I've switched to the K&N
oil filter because it has the 17mm hex fitting making it easy to remove and install with a socket on an extension.
Uh no… Don’t use K&N filtres…

K&N filters are banned by all racing organisations I've raced with: AFM, CCS, WERA, ASMA, CVMA. I don't know of any that allows K&N. Also banned by majority of trackday providers with more every day.

Design flaw was welded-on nut at end. K&N's official position keeps on changing. Initially they blamed user-error for over-tightening nut. Then it was changed to use nut only for removal. However, filters that never had nut touched are also blowing up. Heat of welding on nut causes carbide precipitation and accelerates stress cracking. Regular heating on/off pressurising cycles causes filter to eventually crack and spray oil onto hot exhaust headers. O-ring on filter also slips out due to oil-pressure.

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/aftermarket-oil-filters-banned-from-various-competitions/
http://www.sttforum.com/index.php?threads/k-n-oil-filters.19691/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/6o0eyl/kn_motorcycle_oil_filter_failure/
https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83828-kn-oil-filter-failure/
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oil-filture-failure.260593/

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326687-K-amp-N-oil-filters-BEWARE/
https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/k-n-oil-filter-failure.9415/
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/k-n-oil-filter-leaked.599458/
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/k-n-204-1-leaking-oil-filter.954458/

If you’ve sustained damage from K&N filter, join following class-action lawsuit:

I've seen 2 of these personally.

2019 - trackday @ Thunderhill East with Trackdayz.com
K&N filter blows entering slowest turn-14. Rider crashes with 4 others behind him who hit oil spill. A brand-new Aprilia RSV4 is totalled. One rider broke both wrists.

2020 - trackday @ Buttonwillow with Pacific Track Time
K&N filter blows entering Bus Stop turn and catches bike on fire. Luckily rider was alone, crashes off-track and bike is totaled from burning oil. Track is closed for 2,5-hrs for clean-up

K&N filter still failed when nut was not used to tightened. Carbide formation and hydrogen embrittlement is already present from welding. Tightening nut just quickened failure. Even without that, repeated heating/presurising cycles will cause cracks and filter will split. Recall was just to calm customers when problem first exposed, but they have not changed design since K&N filters are still failing. This only shows that marketing works.

Yes, there are many alternatives better than K&N if you’re looking for U.S. made filtre.

STOC #
A little tip however about easy removal/installation.
Once when I was at my local Honda dealer to buy an oil filter they didn't have any in stock. They did have an oil filter kit in stock however.
This kit does appear on the parts fiche diagram but the P/N for it is not listed.
This kit includes a Honda oil filter and the Honda oil filter socket- which has no P/N on it either. Because they didn't have the filter in stock they sold me this kit for the same price as the filter alone, so now I have the socket. The parts guy said it was called an oil filter kit. If you want one of these sockets, don't have the P/N, or the Honda dealer can't find the P/N for it, ask them to check for this kit P/N. They might just have one in stock like my local Honda dealer did and you'll have a filter to boot.

The kit is listed as;
FILTER SET, OIL 15010-MCE-H51
Great info! Thanks. I've always used a socket on an OEM Honda filter but it doesn't fit perfectly so I tap it on, then it's a pain to get to the socket off of the hot filter.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like many of us I have collected many oil filter removal tools over the years. Strap wrenches, band clamps, slip joint pliers, cap sockets but for my Hondas and Mazdas this has been the only one I use for about 15 years.

Attachments

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've always used a socket on an OEM Honda filter but it doesn't fit perfectly so I tap it on, then it's a pain to get to the socket off of the hot filter.
I always clean dust/road grime off the old filter prior attaching the socket... falls off easily afterwards...

Bike
2006 ST1300
Like many of us I have collected many oil filter removal tools over the years. Strap wrenches, band clamps, slip joint pliers, cap sockets but for my Hondas and Mazdas this has been the only one I use for about 15 years.
Dave...Looking at the edge of the circular part of the wrench, opposite the handle, it looks to be well-loved......

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
One of my earliest posts here was very shortly after bringing home my 2008. Being the meticulous (OCD?) owner I am, I changed the oil pretty much right away, and was immediately confronted with a recalcitrant oil filter that refused to budge.
As my brother-in-law didn't work on it himself, obviously some Neanderthal, Gorilla- fisted fool tried to weld it to the engine. Or at least that's what it felt like.
I tried rubber straps, 3 different oil filter wrenches, I tried putting strips of rubber inside the wrenches in attempt to get a grip, and ultimately punched a screwdriver through the side of the filter, with the expected mess for my efforts.
Can't find the pics now, but I had tools strewn all around the bike, and I came here for some help.
Or maybe it was just for sympathy, I really don't remember.
The point is, I always install oil filters hand tight, plus a slight turn more, and I NEVER have any problem removing them by hand.
No tools required, except for the cleanup afterwards.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a couple of them.. however, my go-to, usually for the 1st oil change done by some power lifting robot is this one and it's worked well for misc cars/trucks as well.

Similar to this:

1704288726113.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
After the first time, there should be no reason for oil filter removal tools... at least in MY life. :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave...Looking at the edge of the circular part of the wrench, opposite the handle, it looks to be well-loved......
I ground off the "well loved" portion in order to get more clearance from the ST1300's header pipe. It wasn't necessary to use it as is sold but getting more clearance allowed more turn.

Top Bottom