Oil Filter For 2007 ST-1300A

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The point is, I always install oil filters hand tight, plus a slight turn more, and I NEVER have any problem removing them by hand.
Agree on the 1100 due the easy access (dunno about the 1300 though), won't work on my GF's NT700VA though, where the filter sits at the aft of the engine, right above the main-stand where I just cannot wrap my hand around it...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Agree on the 1100 due the easy access (dunno about the 1300 though), won't work on my GF's NT700VA though, where the filter sits at the aft of the engine, right above the main-stand where I just cannot wrap my hand around it...
On the 1300 it's awkward (for me), but not impossible for me to get my big hand on it. Obviously it's a whole lot LESS awkward if it's not torqued to 700ft-lbs by some sadistic service tech.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have read a lot of complaints on this site that Honda over-tightens the oil filter at the factory, and that the oil filter torque specification in the manual is ludicrous and is obviously a mistake. I'm not so sure that is the case. I think that we would have to know what criteria Honda uses to determine what they think is the right torque for an oil filter. I suspect that ease of removal by hand, without any tools whatsoever, is not one of the criteria that they consider.

Prior to acquiring the Honda oil filter socket, I always tightened the oil filter by hand like everyone else does. After I acquired the Honda oil filter socket, I decided to do an experiment for no other reason than curiosity. The next time that I installed a Honda oil filter I used the socket to torque the oil filter to exactly the specification in the service manual. What I discovered is that that amount of torque compresses the oil filter seal more than adequately to ensure that it will not leak while at the same time bringing the protruded filter outer metal ring very close to the oil filter adapter without touching it. The point being that the seal was sufficiently compressed so that it certainly was not going to leak while at the same time being very well captured by the protruded outer metal ring of the filter so that the seal can never suffer an aneurysm. I then left that filter on for the full oil change cycle. At the next oil change I used the Honda oil filter socket to remove the filter. It unscrewed very easily using the socket.

My point being that despite all of the complaining about the torque spec., it seems to work quite well when using a Honda oil filter and a proper oil filter socket as intended, so maybe they did know what they were are doing when they developed that specification.

By the way, I did this only to satisfy my curiosity. Ever since I have tightened the filter by hand as I just can't be bothered getting out a torque wrench for this task.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
i spent some time on the K&P website as listed above.
That's one impressive filter!!!
I think I found my next filter (after I burn through the 2 remaining Hondas and the one Wix)...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
i spent some time on the K&P website as listed above.
That's one impressive filter!!!
I think I found my next filter (after I burn through the 2 remaining Hondas and the one Wix)...
I didn't spend much time on their site but their search feature didn't find a match for the Honda P/N.
If you buy one, let us know which one. I'd also be interested in what you think of it once you have it in hand.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
looked on their site under honda, then ST1300 and it said filter S1. Looks about the same dimension as the Wix 57356.
I probably will get it in the Spring.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just a simple question about the OEM oil filter for the ST listed above.
haha Look what you've stirred up! There is no such thing as a simple question when it comes to oil or oil filters.

I'm glad you figured out what to order Honda OEM wise. Good choice. Now sit back and let all discuss simplicity for a few weeks!

I have read a lot of complaints on this site that Honda over-tightens the oil filter at the factory, and that the oil filter torque specification in the manual is ludicrous and is obviously a mistake. I'm not so sure that is the case. I think that we would have to know what criteria Honda uses to determine what they think is the right torque for an oil filter. I suspect that ease of removal by hand, without any tools whatsoever, is not one of the criteria that they consider.

Prior to acquiring the Honda oil filter socket, I always tightened the oil filter by hand like everyone else does. After I acquired the Honda oil filter socket, I decided to do an experiment for no other reason than curiosity. The next time that I installed a Honda oil filter I used the socket to torque the oil filter to exactly the specification in the service manual. What I discovered is that that amount of torque compresses the oil filter seal more than adequately to ensure that it will not leak while at the same time bringing the protruded filter outer metal ring very close to the oil filter adapter without touching it. The point being that the seal was sufficiently compressed so that it certainly was not going to leak while at the same time being very well captured by the protruded outer metal ring of the filter so that the seal can never suffer an aneurysm. I then left that filter on for the full oil change cycle. At the next oil change I used the Honda oil filter socket to remove the filter. It unscrewed very easily using the socket.

My point being that despite all of the complaining about the torque spec., it seems to work quite well when using a Honda oil filter and a proper oil filter socket as intended, so maybe they did know what they were are doing when they developed that specification.

By the way, I did this only to satisfy my curiosity. Ever since I have tightened the filter by hand as I just can't be bothered getting out a torque wrench for this task.
They install it without any oil or lube on the seal. Most folks put some oil on the seal prior to tightening. That WILL affect torque readings.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They install it without any oil or lube on the seal.
Curious how one would know one way or the other.

IF their specification calls for some kind of seal lube, I would be surprised if a company as particular about their engines as Honda wouldn't do it.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
:potstir1:
Put the removed filter on flat surface with seal up, place the new filter on top seal down. Seal to seal add a slight twisting motion, this will evenly coat the new seal with experienced lubricant. Instal, don’t over tighten.

STOC #
I always clean dust/road grime off the old filter prior attaching the socket... falls off easily afterwards...
Makes sense but the problem in my case is the socket I use doesn’t even fit the new clean filter perfectly; I’ll bet the socket that comes with the filter in that kit will fit much better.

Uh no… Don’t use K&N filtres…

K&N filters are banned by all racing organisations I've raced with: AFM, CCS, WERA, ASMA, CVMA. I don't know of any that allows K&N. Also banned by majority of trackday providers with more every day.

Design flaw was welded-on nut at end. K&N's official position keeps on changing. Initially they blamed user-error for over-tightening nut. Then it was changed to use nut only for removal. However, filters that never had nut touched are also blowing up. Heat of welding on nut causes carbide precipitation and accelerates stress cracking. Regular heating on/off pressurising cycles causes filter to eventually crack and spray oil onto hot exhaust headers. O-ring on filter also slips out due to oil-pressure.

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/aftermarket-oil-filters-banned-from-various-competitions/
http://www.sttforum.com/index.php?threads/k-n-oil-filters.19691/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/6o0eyl/kn_motorcycle_oil_filter_failure/
https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83828-kn-oil-filter-failure/
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oil-filture-failure.260593/

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326687-K-amp-N-oil-filters-BEWARE/
https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/k-n-oil-filter-failure.9415/
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/k-n-oil-filter-leaked.599458/
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/k-n-204-1-leaking-oil-filter.954458/

If you’ve sustained damage from K&N filter, join following class-action lawsuit:

I've seen 2 of these personally.

2019 - trackday @ Thunderhill East with Trackdayz.com
K&N filter blows entering slowest turn-14. Rider crashes with 4 others behind him who hit oil spill. A brand-new Aprilia RSV4 is totalled. One rider broke both wrists.

2020 - trackday @ Buttonwillow with Pacific Track Time
K&N filter blows entering Bus Stop turn and catches bike on fire. Luckily rider was alone, crashes off-track and bike is totaled from burning oil. Track is closed for 2,5-hrs for clean-up

K&N filter still failed when nut was not used to tightened. Carbide formation and hydrogen embrittlement is already present from welding. Tightening nut just quickened failure. Even without that, repeated heating/presurising cycles will cause cracks and filter will split. Recall was just to calm customers when problem first exposed, but they have not changed design since K&N filters are still failing. This only shows that marketing works.

Yes, there are many alternatives better than K&N if you’re looking for U.S. made filtre.
finally got to this.... WOW!! will not use the KN anymore, looks like the Wix for me
THANK YOU!! - Mike

Top Bottom