Oil filters

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've seen other Fram filters with cardboard endcaps. Maybe this is a Harley spec for this filter? Wonder about other Fram filter numbers.

Overall, good info from this video. One example is not a statistically meaningful sample. I wonder how good Fram's quality cotrol might be.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That ONE model Fram Filter, is the only Fram product I would use on any vehicle.
Rumor is, Fram Filters took over the entire Harley Davidson account a while back, and the new Premium filters offered by HD (no longer made by champion labs) are the cheapest, most poorly made filters I've ever opened up!
see post #32

Bike
2010 ST1300
That ONE model Fram Filter, is the only Fram product I would use on any vehicle.
The above video was done in July 2022, your linked thread was August, '22. As I said, one sample is not a statistical sample. Do you think Fram will keep the quality up?

Bike
2005 st1300
Do you think Fram will keep the quality up?
I have to say I am impressed with that filter, especially for being a FRAM. It is unusual that Fram has one standout filter in its lineup. This makes me wonder if they just recently acquired that filter from somebody else. My thought would be that knowing FRAM has made a fortune on being able to manipulate processes to make things as cheap as possible and just meet quality standards, it makes me wonder how long before that filter suffers a degradation in quality

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have to say I am impressed with that filter, especially for being a FRAM. It is unusual that Fram has one standout filter in its lineup. This makes me wonder if they just recently acquired that filter from somebody else. My thought would be that knowing FRAM has made a fortune on being able to manipulate processes to make things as cheap as possible and just meet quality standards, it makes me wonder how long before that filter suffers a degradation in quality
Watch the second video in the link I attached.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yup, another case of the replacement filter being made much cheaper to raise profits etc.
Personally I would not use either one of those in any of my vehicles.
Felt/cardboard/open ended pleats, and the back pressure release valve on the left one (same style as K&N and HiFlow Filtro) can jam open and defeat the filter.

Bike
2000 ST1100
When doing oil/filter comparisons I like to use the manufactuers filters and oil. Never been let down yet. One you tube guy I don't know:rofl1:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I guess my questions here would be how long has Fram made this filter and who made the first HD filter he reviewed that is no longer available?

Looks to me like Fram might have made the original HD filter under a private label contract and then continued on under the Fram label when HD cancelled the contract to source a cheaper one.

I used OEM Honda filters on my ST and I use the OEM Yamaha filter on my Tracer. Never an issue + I've never heard of any OEM oil filter failures that have trashed an engine, although, I suppose if you search long enough on the net you'd find at least one example of something bad happening somewhere.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Companies cut corners/quality to increase profits, plain and simple. Most of us that have been around for a while have witnessed the quality rise and fall, then rise again. "They don't make them like they used to" is still a classic and accurate saying.

Companies that produce perishable parts for engines for example will always search for something that is "good enough" to lower costs and maximize profits. The big names rely on their branded names to maintain sales. The videos above and information available today reveal that the exact same products are often branded with different names and the products you relied on for years, have no longer maintained the quality they once did. Most don't know that and that's what the companies literally bank on.

I work in a paper converting company. We use the exact same paper in many branded names that sell in stores. All we do is change the outer poly packaging. Some people swear by these products saying they are better quality than others we produce. Some people are wrong. :)

Top Bottom