Oil Leak After Valve Inspection

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Recently, I replaced the windscreen adjuster with a new unit and while I had everything apart, decided to check the valves which needed to be done in a little over 1000 miles. The valves checked okay, so I put the valve covers back on. Before I put all the plastic back on I ran the bike to check for leaks. I ran it for a few minutes with maybe a minute or two at sustained 3-4k rpm. When I put them on, the heat mat on the right side got caught under the valve cover so it leaked. I took it off, removed the mat, put it back on and checked for leaks. I was still seeing oil coming out of the little weep hole on the right side of the engine. Thinking maybe I damaged the valve cover gaskets, I ordered new ones and installed them (the old ones seemed okay, but were a little hard). I applied some sealant to the corners of the half circles as usual. I started it a couple more times but didn't run it for sustained 3-4k, just blipped the throttle a few times. I checked very carefully around the perimiter of the valve covers and in the spark plug holes and didn't see any leaks, so put everything back together. I rode it about six miles on local roads and didn't see any oil. Then I took it on a longer test ride with some highway riding (sustained 3-4k). After the bike sat for a while, I saw a few drops of oil under the bike. I've done this before on this bike as well as others and never had this problem before. The only thing I can think of is maybe there's some residual oil in there from the first leak that hasn't cleared out yet, but that's probably wishful thinking. Logically, it has to be something with the valve covers since the bike has never leaked before. Has anybody else had this experience? Any advice what to check? Is there anything else that can cause oil to get into the V of the engine and drain out of the weep hole? Thanks in advance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It sounds like you did everything right. I was going to mention the half moon areas, but you have that covered. I'm sure someone will have the answer and chime in. It has to be something simple.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Could have caught the mat again when putting the new seals on. Sounds like the plastic will have to come off again. Baby or foot powder dusted on the engine helps trace the oil path.

v8-7

Site Supporter
pretty easy to catch the mat and even easier to have the gasket roll a bit during the reinstall ..

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Might be as simple as needing to replace the rubber washers on the cam cover hold down bolts. These compress with age and apply less squish force to the gasket and can let some oil weep. There are gaskets around the plug holes and if these weep then the oil passes down the plug wells and out the drains under the header pipes.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I took it for another ride (16 miles including some interstate) yesterday, and it seems to be tapering off so it may be residual oil. Before there were 3 spots maybe the size of a quarter or a little bigger. This time there was one maybe the size of a nickel. I'll keep riding it for a few more days and see what happens. I'm prepared to take it apart again if necessary. I spoke with Igofar (Larry) and he gave me some great tips on how to get a successful leak free install. One of them is replacing the rubber washers under the valve cover bolts that TerryS mentioned.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I did a couple more short rides, and now there's no oil dripping on the ground. I do see a tiny bit of oil on the bottom of the engine (on the left side), but it's not enough to drip on the ground. Since the leak is so minor, I'm going to leave it be until the next time I have the bike apart (over the winter). I'll order the valve cover bolt washers (part # 90543-MV9-670) so I'm ready, and follow all the best practices for the install to get it right.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
After I did a valve inspection in late summer 2018 I began to notice a slight whiff of oil smoke when I stopped the bike, or when I first started it in the morning. When I saw got home from WV-STOC I opened it up again and confirmed that I had slightly pinched one of the rubber heat shield mats under the head cover during reassembly. Got that sorted out and presto- no more hot oil smell, and no more leak. Got an inspection mirror you could work in behind the head covers to check yours?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Two simple ways to prevent pinching the heat shield mat is 1. simply remove the coils so you have a straight down drop to replace the cover, and 2. If your too lazy to do that, cut a piece of cardboard or use a piece of plastic from a gallon jug of water and make a shoe horn. Slip this between the head and the mat and you won't ever have to worry about pinching stuff again.
:doh1: :WCP1:

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Update - I reconsidered and decided to go ahead and get the valve cover washers and try and fix it. I have the Blue Ridge Gathering coming up in a few weeks and want it ready for that. I used all the best practices recommended by Igofar (Thanks Larry!). After it was back together, I gave it a couple runs as usual - a few minutes at 3-4k rpm off and on until it was fully warmed up. On the first run, I saw a bit of oil coming out of the weep hole - leaving one spot about an inch in diameter. I removed the coils and spark plug wires to get a look at the valve cover seals (as good as is possible). There was no sign of leaking on the valve covers. The hose connected to the bottom of the air cleaner housing on the right side of the bike (crankcase breather?) was a little wet with oil, but below it was dry. I cleaned it off before the second run. After the second run, the hose was dry, no spot of oil on the ground, and no oil coming out of the weep hole! I was getting very discouraged, so I'm really hopeful I can put this behind me. I will be checking for a while. I'm seriously considering skipping the next valve inspection; I'm in no hurry to go through this again.

Top Bottom