Oil leak-dropplets on fairings and gas tank...

After reading through 15 of 16 pages (here) on oil leaks, I was unable to find anything that matches my situation. After riding to work about 10 miles, I noticed small droplets of oil on head covers, fairing behind head cover openings and on top of the gas tank and center tank pad. I am 99.9%sure that is engine oil but I am 0% sure where its coming from.

The bike is an 07 with 39,5xx miles the oil was changed about 1,500 miles ago. There are NO drips or puddles on the ground, nothing inside the fairings (that I can tell).
I recently had my mech do fork seals, brake pads, coolant flush and balancer shaft adjustment. While he was doing this for me I asked for him to look everything over to see what else it may need. His words were "bike is super clean, whoever worked on it before, knew what they were doing, it needs nothing". Also said there were no bolts or clips missing or improperly installed. He gave it a clean bill of heath.

After finding the droplets, I wiped them off, later I rode home and inspected again and was unable to see any oil. Today I ride to work and checked when I arrived....the droplets returned but not as many as the first time. Most of the droplets are small, maybe 1/64"-1/16" and the first time there were a dozen or so, second time about half that many.

I've been working all week and wont have time to really investigate until this Mon. Just hoping to get a few ideas on where to start.
I sincerely thank you all, as I know wisdom will be shared.

P.S. may or may not be relevant but new spark plugs, air filter, brake and clutch fluid have all been done in the last 2000 miles.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Pics tell a whole lot more. Brake fluid would be clear if just replaced.

If it’s appearing only on the top of the bike and not accumulating lower areas of the engine. I’d start with making sure the hydraulic wells for the clutch and brake are buttoned up correctly

Also see if there is a ring seal on the oil filler cap

Then look at the front forks - if the seal is gone it may spit out enough to be picked up through the fairing. but then again a pic of these areas and droplets would help too. Without the plastic off could be something else we can’t see.

Pics tell a whole lot more. Brake fluid would be clear if just replaced.

If it’s appearing only on the top of the bike and not accumulating lower areas of the engine. I’d start with making sure the hydraulic wells for the clutch and brake are buttoned up correctly

Also see if there is a ring seal on the oil filler cap

Then look at the front forks - if the seal is gone it may spit out enough to be picked up through the fairing. but then again a pic of these areas and droplets would help too. Without the plastic off could be something else we can’t see.
All good advise. I would also look at the lines connecting to the brake and clutch wells.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Lots of owners don't have either a garage or nice weather cover. I wonder how many of the similar posts we have read are the result of rain a day or two back, insufficient cleanup after a liquid change or spill, or wash/rinse water accumulating under the plasticwork on one of the several catch areas. I usually park my ST's on the center stand in the garage. If I've washed just before hand, that gives me a little puddle, where the drain paths have done their job.....Garage floor is flat, drive slopes downhill.

OP
OP
Fork tubes are bone dry. Don't see DOT4 coming from anywhere. Bike is washed, dried and waxed EVERY week. It sleeps in a carport and stays completely dry unless we have major wind and rain.
Rode to work today an did NOT find any droplets.
It was not coolant, too slippery and wrong color.
I will investigate more as to the suggestions you all have made.
I thank you

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Fork tubes are bone dry. Don't see DOT4 coming from anywhere. Bike is washed, dried and waxed EVERY week. It sleeps in a carport and stays completely dry unless we have major wind and rain.
Rode to work today an did NOT find any droplets.
It was not coolant, too slippery and wrong color.
I will investigate more as to the suggestions you all have made.
I thank you
Last resort.....I found a drop of fluid on the left hand pocket of my 1100 recently. My first thought was the clutch master cylinder but everything was dry and the fluid level right where I keep it. A few days later, another drop. This check found a leak at the seal around the actuator between the housing and lever, the bottom of the are was a little moist, not enough accumulation to form a drop yet. You might want to keep an eye on that area for a bit.

Bike
05 ST1300
My guess - the fella, or someone else, dropped some fluid inside the fairing somewhere and it pooled there. Then when you ride the wind carries it up and around. It does that to test your stress level and also your powers of observation Haha.
p.s. a tiny drop on your finger and then on your tongue will identify what the fluid is, you inhale much more of that every day you’re in traffic on a bike.

Top Bottom