oil leak

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If I remember correctly;
They are fuel filler neck overflow, coolant recovery tank overflow, and a drain hose from the water pump weep hole.

The hose from the water pump weep hole was not present in early model years. I don't recall what year it was added. If the 2005 has it, and if you're sure that it is oil, then the oil would most likely be coming from the water pump seal.

OP
OP
WOW i HOPE IT'S NOT COMING FROM THE WATER PUMP THE FLUID DOESN'T LOOK GREEN LIKE THE ANTI FREEZE BUT IT'S SLIPPERY LIKE OIL the center stand is all covered with it

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The water pump weep hose discharges at the front center of the engine oil pan and only present on model year 2008 and up.

The coolant recovery tank overflow is by it's self over on the left side. The manual shows it passing though the frame.

The three hoses in the clip bracket and oval bracket at the center are the fuel tank overflow and 2 EVAP system hoses. One of mine has had a minor amount of oily gunk on the end of it off and on for the last 155k miles. Enough to cover the center stand may be coming from someware else, as Tdinova said a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oh that's good then I found a diagram of the hoses and one is from the coolant overflow tank and the other two are from the fuel tank So it must be coming from the coolant tank cause I don't smell fuel Thanks for you help I just got this bike and have had several problems and fixed all them so far now this Boo hoo

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd pull the tupperware and eyeball the engine. Oil leaks are usually found around the valve cover or oil filter, not so much coming out of a hose on the bottom of the bike. Regardless, these leaks are rare. IIRC, there have been the occasional post about excessive oil in the bottom of the air box - usually a result of too much oil in the crankcase. Check your sight glass, too. There was one post about a leak around the glass window, which is easily replaced*.

Get a sample of the goo from your kickstand and sniff it. Aunt Freeze will smell sweet (compare the smell to what you have in a jug of anti freeze). You can also spray clean the center stand and go for a ride. See what collects after a half our or more at sustained speeds.

*Easily after you drain the oil, of course. Or lay the bike down on the opposite side to get the window area dry, and then replace it and the O-ring. Best to do this with an empty or almost empty top gas tank.

Top Bottom