Oil leak...

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well....I have an oil leak. This is my second ST1300 and this is the first problem of this nature I've encountered.

Description:

Thin coat of oil over the bottom half of the engine....w/dirt, of course....
I couldn't tell where the oil is coming from....as it's pretty much over the entire lower engine...more on the right side (as you sit the bike). I took a good look at the two weep holes and couldn't determine if the oil was coming from either. The valve cover area...on both sides is clean. I know that if I had a cover leak....it might be inboard and not visible. I've never had these cover off since buying the bike.
I have all the plastic off the bike to do some work....valve check, fluids, coolant...etc.
What a mess.
I've also never used a drop of oil between changes....but I now notice that the oil level is down in the site glass....from exactly in the middle of the two indicator bars...to just below the bottom bar.
The bike is running very well.

So....any ideas? I do have to remove the valve covers to do the valve check...maybe I'll find something then. Also...I've noted a thread that discussed an undocumented drain from the top of the engine, routed through to one of the lower weep holes. I'm not sure what oil and from where the oil comes from (starting point for this drain)....in that thread.

Any help is very welcome. The less I have to do to fix this...the better! :)

Forest

Last edited:

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I prefer simple methods. Soap and water clean-up. Then start it up and look for the leak. Might take a naked ride to get it flowing. I would do this before pulling anything apart so you know where the leak is. And can make sure it is taken care of before you put everything back together.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bill...

Yep....since I couldn't determine where the leak was....in the dirty condition....I degreased the mess and will do just what you suggest. It's part of the not so defined plan. LOL

Thanks

Forest

tankster64

tankSTer
Bike
06 ST1300
My bike had an o ring fail where the cam shaft cover sets down on the head causing oil to enter the spark plug tunnel and leak out the weep hole and on to the lower right side of the engine. Maybe this pic will help.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Tankster...thanks for the tip. I hope it's not that particular problem! LOL
I'll know more as I pull the valve covers for a valve check. I hope it was just a botch at the factory when they sealed the covers. If it is the cover(s), it's inboard, as I don't see any oil on the outside of the engine near either cover.

Forest

Bike
03 ST1300A
Did a valve check last week and thought I had everything tight. But, on my way to work I smelled burning oil so I turned around and by the time I got back home the oil site guage was empty.

Luckily, I was only a half quart low and the problem was the left bank valve cover on the inboard side. The oil sprayed under the tank and then as it warmed up it ran down the weep hole out the bottom right side of the engine and then swirled around the engine - what a mess! Gunk and lots of water later it was clean again.

Re-set the gasket and rode around for a couple of days to insure no more leaks prior to installing plastic. Hope your leak is something easy to locate and correct.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
At the recommendation of Paul....I cleaned up the area and sprayed foot power over any area that has a seal/gasket or weep/drain hole.
It took all of two miles or riding to find the oil exiting the round weep hole.

So.....

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Looks like you have a genuine water pump seal leak. Mine leaks a little from there, not enough to make a difference in the oil level between changes though. So for now I am riding and watching the level.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Yep...I'm pretty sure it's the water pump seal at this point. Not a pretty picture. To do this job correctly requires some special tools and some time. I'm going to make a call and use the warranty.

Forest

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Streetrod....I'm betting on the real deal. A water pump seal failure.
I've been though the threads on this site and a few others....and have found numerous references to oil or antifreeze at the weep hole site...but with few people taking the bike in for a full blown repair. Seems the repair takes a few special tools and a lot of breakdown...but after talking to someone who really knows...and then dragging out the repair manual...a decent dealer should be able to get this job done.

I'll keep everyone advised. I have no idea how long it takes to get work done at a honda dealer. LOL I've done almost all of my own work in the past.

Forest

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Forest, this was one thing my 03 had an issue with-but it was coolant and cycle center of denton fixed it fast once they got the parts-that took almost a month. My 08 is now leaking coolant but it's now considered normal for some. I don't think the same applies for oil. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I prefer simple methods. Soap and water clean-up. Then start it up and look for the leak. Might take a naked ride to get it flowing....

At the recommendation of Paul....I cleaned up the area and sprayed foot power over any area that has a seal/gasket or weep/drain hole.
It took all of two miles or riding to find the oil exiting the round weep hole.

So.....

Forest
So Forest...are you sayin' you rode it naked in the daylight? :D
Good luck with the analysis and fix - keep us poSTed.

mjblair

TooTall
I second the previous advise, clean it up and ride naked till you find the source. If it is that significant as to drop the level as you say, it should take long to find it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Streetrod....I'm betting on the real deal. A water pump seal failure.
I've been though the threads on this site and a few others....and have found numerous references to oil or antifreeze at the weep hole site...but with few people taking the bike in for a full blown repair. Seems the repair takes a few special tools and a lot of breakdown...but after talking to someone who really knows...and then dragging out the repair manual...a decent dealer should be able to get this job done.

I'll keep everyone advised. I have no idea how long it takes to get work done at a honda dealer. LOL I've done almost all of my own work in the past.

Forest
You're like me, I do my own work, didn't want to take it in even under warranty.

It's covered, take it in, let them fix it. I'm glad I did, they did a good job and it's still dry at the hole.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I prefer simple methods. Soap and water clean-up. Then start it up and look for the leak. Might take a naked ride to get it flowing....

So Forest...are you sayin' you rode it naked in the daylight? :D
Good luck with the analysis and fix - keep us poSTed.
Don

Me riding "naked"...day or night....would be just about as ugly as the ST without the bags on...

And....I don't want to cut into Fred's domain!!

Forest

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
A brief update...

I took the (naked) bike to Al Lamb's Honda this morning....a large dealer in N. Dallas. Ted, the head service writer, whom I've dealt with before, took a look and in one second said, "I'll order the parts and give you a call. We can get this done in a day, once the parts arrive." I also pointed out that the lower evaporative hose was burned though because of incorrect routing (from the factory)...."no problem, we'll get a hose ordered and installed properly". Yea!
So...three or four days and I'm puttin' plastic back on the bike.
Ted also mentioned that they had just done this same job the week before. He knew about several tech bulletins about impeller depth changes and the fact that the '03 manual says, "pull the engine from the mounts". Yikes.....all subsequent manuals do NOT recommend pulling the engine. I feel pretty good...at this point about the dealer's ability to do the job correctly. This also gives me time to change brake pads and do a fluid change for brakes and clutch.

Forest

Last edited:
Top Bottom