Oil Spill No More

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just another tip about not spilling oil on the center stand when changing out the filter. I have tried all the different methods and have never been happy with any method to keep from spilling oil on the center-stand, floor, lift and any where else it goes except where oil is suppose to go. Until now. I ask my wife to buy one of those aluminum foil roaster pans at the grocery store for me. I then bent/wrapped the pan around the center stand, under the oil filter. Walla a perfect drip pan for filter remove. The pan cost about 2 bucks, and it comes out of her grocery budget:D and I change the oil on my ST on average 2 times a year. As I use synthetic oil and go about 8k between changes so the cost is small compaierd to the clean up time with out. Here are some pictures. Did not get a drop of oil on the center stand or the lift/floor or anywhere else.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, I never though to use a disposable pan like that.

Is it because the bike is on a lift you do the oil change on the centerstand? Reason asking is I use the sidestand and the piece of foil method on the exhaust pipes and never spill a drop changing the oil & filter with the lower fairing left in place.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, I never though to use a disposable pan like that.

Is it because the bike is on a lift you do the oil change on the center stand? Reason asking is I use the side stand and the piece of foil method on the exhaust pipes and never spill a drop changing the oil & filter with the lower fairing left in place.
I have always done oil changes on the center stand. 1. because I want the old oil to drain completely. I believe, on the side stand, a small amount of dirty oil will be trapped in the sump. And 2. Yes, the side stand won't work on the lift, and I am too old to be laying on the cold garage floor, any more.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good one.

I use a fat stubby funnel and a low oil pan which works well but I'll sneak of of these pans out of the kitchen next time to see if that works better for me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I hate to admit I even go in there, but Dollar Tree has those pans at a really good price. I am sure the ones pictured are of a thicker gauge/better quality, but you only use it once! Great pictures AND idea!!!

Also..
IF you happen to wheel into a Dollar Tree, they have a cute little cable lock, for a buck...i have used the same one for 4 years now..

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
What I found was the aluminum roasting pans work really well to drain the oil into. Then you have to try to slide it out, pick it up, (completely filled to the brim) and deal with it. Those things are not designed to hold a gallon of anything and let you dispose of it.

My answer was an oil drain pan ($2.49) at Wally World, that holds lots more than a gallon and has enough strength on the sides to allow you to pick it up to dispose of the oil. You can also reuse it. YMMV!

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have always done oil changes on the center stand. 1. because I want the old oil to drain completely. I believe, on the side stand, a small amount of dirty oil will be trapped in the sump. And 2. Yes, the side stand won't work on the lift, and I am too old to be laying on the cold garage floor, any more.
All good points. Drain oil on the centerstand then remove and replace filter on the sidestand unless a lift is used.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
What I found was the aluminum roasting pans work really well to drain the oil into. Then you have to try to slide it out, pick it up, (completely filled to the brim) and deal with it. Those things are not designed to hold a gallon of anything and let you dispose of it.

My answer was an oil drain pan ($2.49) at Wally World, that holds lots more than a gallon and has enough strength on the sides to allow you to pick it up to dispose of the oil. You can also reuse it. YMMV!
As you can see in the picture I am using a real drain pan for draining the oil, The aluminum roasting pan is just for the filter oil.

Bike
ST1300
I love the roasting pan idea, but wrench pullin' just wont be the same for me if I don't spill a little oil on the garage floor.
I'd probably finish in half the time, which means only one beer instead of two, and I wouldn't get to cuss nearly enough! ;)

Bike
2004 ST1300
I guess the question is which stand allows the most oil to drain out. I would believe because the drain bolt and filter are on the left side, putting the bike on the side stand would allow more oil to drain towards the left, therefore, a more complete drain.

Perhaps some of the ST gurus can offer your opinion.

JC

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've only changed the oil twice since I bought the bike in 2009. First time was with no protection from the center stand and exhaust. Yes, it was messy. Second time was with the aluminum foil method. I like to do oil changes on the centre stand also, as the crankcase drains on a level surface, the rear final drive drains on a level surface. Still on the fence on how I'm going to change it for the third time. That should happen in the beginning of 2013. Riding 8000 miles a year now. I'm extending my oil changes as the the oil that came out on the first 2 changes looked like it still had life left in it. Still a carmel color. Also, still have a sample bottles on the shelf from my last oil change and also a sample from the rear end as I was thinking about sending it out to get it analyzed. Thinking lots of rags, cardboard and foil ready for the Exon Valdez. Maybe have a Scotch on the rocks first, just like the captain of the Valdez had before he ran a ground!! Ahoy Matey

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess the question is which stand allows the most oil to drain out. I would believe because the drain bolt and filter are on the left side, putting the bike on the side stand would allow more oil to drain towards the left, therefore, a more complete drain.

Perhaps some of the ST gurus can offer your opinion.

JC
No sump oil drains out of the filter as it is located above the normal oil level. The oil in the filter itself and a little from the threaded boss drains when the filter is unscrewed. There is always some residual oil trapped in the oiling system and the engine when draining the sump and short of disassembling the engine to its component parts and cleaning each of them there is going to be some old oil left behind no matter if on the side stand or center stand. I say do what is practical for your situation.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just had a brain wave, crack the filter loose but with no oil coming out of the seal, then puncture the filter with a small nail and let the oil drain out of the filter first. Stick the nail back in, see if you can black tape it in there, might've a bit tough, due to the oily residue.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I will definitely try that. I seem to be pathologically unable to deal with automotive liquids of any kind without making a huge mess. Years ago, when I kept a race car in a shared shop with a dozen other guys, my car was nicknamed Amoco Cadiz.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Interesting and also funny. I laugh with you not at you, as I can just imagine how I would feel if I dropped a shim in the motor.:) Did you get it out? Thanks for the post.

Hmm, interesting. After my first experience changing the ST oil I'm considering using my Baxley Sport Chock to hole the bike up by the front wheel. This should give me a little more front end height and leave the center stand free and clear of oil from the filter. Pull it down to loosen the filter, then let it up to unscrew it.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Do Honda make USA bikes with right side prop stands ? Or do they lean the wrong way when you stop on the roadside ? If so why and if not why not ?

Top Bottom