Oil Spill No More

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Do Honda make USA bikes with right side prop stands ? Or do they lean the wrong way when you stop on the roadside ? If so why and if not why not ?
All the motorcycles (and bicycles) I've ever seen, regardless of brand or country, had the side stand on the left side. Maybe some company somewhere put one on the right side?

Bike
R1200rt
Do Honda make USA bikes with right side prop stands ? Or do they lean the wrong way when you stop on the roadside ? If so why and if not why not ?
a lot of theories 1 Most modern bikes follow the side/kick stand on the left primarily because · 1. It can be operated while still keeping the rear brakes engaged
2 Motorcycles started off as bicycles with motors. The stand on bicycles is in the left because of how the pedels , chains and sprockets are on the right
3 As stated it comes from mounting horses from the left which comes from carrying a sword into battle on your left side. This way you don't have the sword getting in your way as you swing your right leg over the horse. So if you are carrying a sword it also makes mounting your motorcycle easier

Bike
2010 ST1300
3 As stated it comes from mounting horses from the left which comes from carrying a sword into battle on your left side. This way you don't have the sword getting in your way as you swing your right leg over the horse. So if you are carrying a sword it also makes mounting your motorcycle easier
Except for the Lone Ranger and Tonto, both of whom mount their horses from the rear. The reason this did not catch on more widely (rear mounting) is the Knights of the Round Table wore so much armor that they had to be hoisted onto their horses. Vaulting or even hopping was out of the question. If you wear armor on your bike (or an Aerostitch suit), start practicing the rear mount. Just watch out for the top case.....:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
1 Most modern bikes follow the side/kick stand on the left primarily because · 1. It can be operated while still keeping the rear brakes engaged
Yeah I'd say no on that. For years some motorcycles had the brakes on the left and the shift lever on the right. The side stand was still on the left.

If bicycles had the side stand on the left and not the right then I see the logical progression of adding a motor. Keep the new iteration as user friendly as possible by keeping the side stand on the left. More familiarity and slightly less learning curve. No reason to change sides. As many early riders were seen as mavericks and rebels it's only fitting that a bike when parked leans to the left.

Bike
R1200rt
Yeah I'd say no on that. For years some motorcycles had the brakes on the left and the shift lever on the right. The side stand was still on the left.

If bicycles had the side stand on the left and not the right then I see the logical progression of adding a motor. Keep the new iteration as user friendly as possible by keeping the side stand on the left. More familiarity and slightly less learning curve. No reason to change sides. As many early riders were seen as mavericks and rebels it's only fitting that a bike when parked leans to the left.
" Most modern bikes follow the side/kick stand on the left" again not my theory..., And I take offence to the "As many early riders were seen as mavericks and rebels it's only fitting that a bike when parked leans to the left." You can be a rebel or maverick and not lean left!!! :spank1: :rofl1:

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
If you take offence about mavericks etc it conjures up the great answer by Marlon Brando when he was asked by the outraged gent in a suit ;"What are you protesting about ?" Marlon says" Watta you got ?"
I saw some bolt -on on prop stands on sale this week for either side (2 versions ) but I would rather have them welded on . But it`s a nasty thing to realise you have bought a bike that has no main stand just when you need one.
I bought a used YDS2 Yamaha once I think it was £200 ) and running down a steep hill in Plymouth there is a roundabout and a left turn up another hill. .I had left the prop stand out and it made the bike jump . Lesson learned . Plymouth`s hills and roundabouts are as bad as Laguna Seca . That would be my favourite ride if Daddy Christmas was nice to me .I noticed the Pan Euro prop stand , when left out , switches the engine off .Good idea .
There is a Sheffield site to ask which hill is the steepest. My son was there at University . One of the steepest hills has an long iron railing . Reputed to be there to help Drunk Students .The answer came back --"Drunk Students???--What other sort is there?"

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
All the motorcycles (and bicycles) I've ever seen, regardless of brand or country, had the side stand on the left side. Maybe some company somewhere put one on the right side?
IF, and I'm not saying there ever was, but IF someone ever put a sidestand on the right side of the bike, I would bet money it would have been Norton.

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
And i thought you guys were talking about using roasting pans to drain the oil filters. I didn't think it would take long for this thread to go sideways.;)

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
If you wanted to tilt the bike right to get a better angle on the Oil Filter (Oh look back on topic ) an extra side stand might be handy .On the main stand you need to get your hair on the dusty garage floor to see the bottom edge of the filter, which is not as convenient as it could be .That position just set off my vertigo , which is why I had to stop riding in the first place .

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Except for the Lone Ranger and Tonto, both of whom mount their horses from the rear. The reason this did not catch on more widely (rear mounting) is the Knights of the Round Table wore so much armor that they had to be hoisted onto their horses. Vaulting or even hopping was out of the question. If you wear armor on your bike (or an Aerostitch suit), start practicing the rear mount. Just watch out for the top case.....:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:
I always wondered how many times they almost mounted from the rear. I was inappropriate even back then.

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
Any motorcycle I've seen has the side stand on the left. Actually depending on the road/shoulder conditions, I'd prefer it on the left, because oftentimes the ground is firmer and more level near the pavement. Also if parked on the pavement, the crown on the road might cause the bike to lean excessively to the right if the side stand was on the right.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Yes the oil has been changed . I left the plug off for a day before changing the oil filter . By the time I removed the old filter there was no oil dribbling out . I had covered the pipes with a plastic bag but after putting on the new filter there was hardly a smudge of oil to be seen .

Top Bottom