oily issues

Oil change time would like to use synthetic , but heard i must be careful . anyone have experience to share ? Thanks

Bike
2005 st1300
Yes, you must be careful using synthetic or conventional. The important point is whether the oil is okay for wet clutch use. An oil with JASO certification is suggested. There are however oils that aren't certified, but have been proven to be fine. Do a search here and you will find many, many, many answers to this and other questions about suggested oil... Pack a lunch

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use fully synth all the time - but follow the rules - see @SMSW's link above.
I prefer the way the engine 'feels' with it in. But it is expensive.

Bike
2005 st1300
D
owners manual bears no reference to synthetics
Did it bear any reference to only using conventional oil?
Owner's manuals have only been referencing using synthetics in recent years, but the point is that it doesn't matter which you use as long as it meets other specifications. IMHO, synthetics are superior and I would recommend them, but conventional is perfectly acceptable, within their parameters (mainly shorter change intervals)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Honda's oil change intervals (and this goes for every manufacturer) are only recommendations based on their research and unpublished parameters that will lubricate the engine adequately. Short story is those mileage suggestions are malleable and subject to environmental conditions. Run your bike at top speed hour after hour circling Death Valley in summer and you should change your oil more frequently. Run it continuously* at lower loads and you can probably stretch the intervals. I've not seen any specific recommendations for changing oil if you use synthetics beyond what is found on the front of the gallon container. Like DAP's 25 year caulk** this should be taken with a shovel full of salt. I confess to not reading new car manuals or searching for credible synthetic oil change intervals - credible meaning studies run by other than the oil companies.

*It is often said short trips not letting the oil get up to temp and boil off water contaminants are the worst for an engine.
** I once had a question about this claim and after shuffling my way up and down the corporate ladder was able to get an honest engineer. He snorted and said something to the effect that the 'marketing guys will say anything to sell the stuff'. Then he added, 'the paint over which you apply our caulk is not going to last 25 years so how can the caulk last that long?'

Bike
2000 ST1100
owners manual bears no reference to synthetics
Then there is your answer. My 2005 Toyota did not say specifically to use synthetic oil. I used convention oil until I could not get it anymore. Now using semi synthetic but when I changed the valve cover gasket the upper part of the motor looked good at 228K miles. Could it had been better perhaps with full synthetic? Probably but conventional oil and changing the oil and filter at the recommended intervals resulted in good service results. Again my 82K ST1100 manual said 10W 40 motorcycle specific oil and nothing about synthetic so I used Honda conventional. 82K miles on the oil and it's been all good. Can you use synthetic yes probably. But for me these have been my routine. I understand new cars mostly say use synthetic oil so thats what I would use. If you bought a new Goldwing motorcycle its my understanding it does not say specifically to use 10W 30 synthetic.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I use the semi. Was told full syn affects the gaskets and might cause a leak. I dont know if this is true, but the semi seemed a wiser choice. I change every 5000 mi or before a tour.
Lucky for you, there are tons of people here that know the correct answer.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Honda's oil change intervals (and this goes for every manufacturer) are only recommendations based on their research and unpublished parameters that will lubricate the engine adequately. Short story is those mileage suggestions are malleable and subject to environmental conditions. Run your bike at top speed hour after hour circling Death Valley in summer and you should change your oil more frequently. Run it continuously* at lower loads and you can probably stretch the intervals. I've not seen any specific recommendations for changing oil if you use synthetics beyond what is found on the front of the gallon container. Like DAP's 25 year caulk** this should be taken with a shovel full of salt. I confess to not reading new car manuals or searching for credible synthetic oil change intervals - credible meaning studies run by other than the oil companies.

*It is often said short trips not letting the oil get up to temp and boil off water contaminants are the worst for an engine.
** I once had a question about this claim and after shuffling my way up and down the corporate ladder was able to get an honest engineer. He snorted and said something to the effect that the 'marketing guys will say anything to sell the stuff'. Then he added, 'the paint over which you apply our caulk is not going to last 25 years so how can the caulk last that long?'
Don’t get me started on the DAP!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes, you can use synthetic oil meeting the correct specifications.
No, it won't harm the engine or the clutch if it is the correct specification of oil.

Will using synthetic oil be beneficial to the engine? Not likely in any way that you will be able to measure if you do the oil changes in accordance with the maintenance schedule.

Because you are in Ontario, you see a very wide range of temperature change during a riding season. If you only change your engine oil once a season, the biggest benefit of synthetic engine oil is a superior ability to handle these temperature variances. Will that provide an advantage to your engine? Probably not one that you will ever be able to measure.

OP
OP
Thanks to everyone for your replies i was undecided in regard to synthetic , and concerned about possibly damaging the clutch getting the wrong stuff . My riding season is shorter than some and I store with fresh oil , and change halfway thru the season , so conventional will be sufficient, I like the advantage of synthetic, but probably not enough to justify the cost . Thanks to all for your input . Frank

Top Bottom