Oily undercarriage, very strange leak?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
2005 ST1300 with a bit over 60,000 miles. Occasionally I will find a very small spot of oil on the ground. (Roughly the size of a half-dollar, after sitting overnight) It does not continue leaking, it just drops this much and stops until I ride it again. This generally happens after at least a few hundred miles of highway riding.

Looking at what is directly above the spot on the ground, the oil that reaches the ground appears to be dripping off the centerstand pivot, which is always coated with a mist of oil and road grime. This seems to indicate that a mist of oil is coming from somewhere while riding, then accumulating when the bike stops, and then dripping to the ground. :think1:

Every time I change oil, the bottom (finned crankcase cover)and rear lower portion of the motor, as well as the centerstand are covered in oily black grime. I clean it all up, run the bike, check for leaks, all dry. It doesn't seem to leak unless extended highway riding is involved. This tells me it may be crankcase ventilation related, but the inside of the airbox and the filter are clean, dry and normal with no oily residue.
The oil mist and road grime covers the back lower third of the motor, all the way across, including the heim joint for the shifter shaft. I've been wondering if the two vent hoses that are secured in a metal loop on the left rear corner of the crankcase could be the source, but I can't understand how oil would be coming from either one, since they seem to be the fuel overflow and canister suction hoses. I have looked fairly closely for the source of the oil higher up on the motor, but I'm not able to see where it's originating. Everything up high that I can see easily seems clean and dry. I have not yet completely removed the fuel tank, but that will be the next thing I do. The top side as well as the front of the motor are clean and dry. I have verified that the oil is not coming from poorly seated valve cover gaskets. It's not a serious problem, as the bike uses/loses only about 6 ounces of oil between oil changes, but I like things clean and dry, so I want to fix this.

Any ideas or experience with this problem? :shrug2:

Garry

Byron

STOC #
Is it possible that some of this is anti-freeze overflow? Colored anti-freeze plus road grim would leave oily looking residue.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the replies, but it's definitely engine oil, and the filter seal area is not wet, neither is the drain plug. Seems to be from higher than that. I am beginning to suspect the oil cooler hose attachment points or the final drive shaft seal.

Garry

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the replies, but it's definitely engine oil, and the filter seal area is not wet, neither is the drain plug. Seems to be from higher than that. I am beginning to suspect the oil cooler hose attachment points or the final drive shaft seal.

Garry
The oil cooler hoses contain coolant but the oil cooler itself does screw onto a threaded boss on the engine block. I suspect a leaking oil cooler would mimic a leaking oil filter because the filter would probably be oily.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Could be oil coming from the mystery plug located up in the vee under the t-stat.
Use search to see threads about this. If you can't find info, pm me a contact no. And I will call you on the white courtesy phone and see if I can assist you.
Look at the right side of motor at oil pump inspection hole, you may have lost the oil seal behind the waterpump...
But as others have said.....coolant and road grime do look like oil.

Top Bottom