OK KS MO IL AR Dash

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Dude....weather doesn't look too swift up here. H2O from Thurs thru Sunday. I will NOT be riding if the rain cometh. 110 miles X 2....nah......I'll be passing. We'll see!? DG
I ride in everything, but I totally get it, especially since you're in it for a day ride while I'm on a long loop!

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get things worked out.
Thanks very much. I'm replacing just about everything other than the wheel, the splines, and the axle on the back end. that includes the rear caliper bracket and I'm also rebuilding the rear caliper. I was going to do the caliper rebuild anyway, but I was going to put it off to the winter. I hope to be able to jam this trip in after Independence day.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
UPDATE

The essential parts came in. No visible evidence of damage to the swingarm or the pumpkin. No run out on the axle. No visible cracks or damage to any contact surface on the wheel.

All the bearings, spacers, and collars on the rear axle replaced. Rear caliper rebuilt. Rear end cleaned up and re-pasted with the expensive loctite goop.

SMC replaced. All brake pads replaced with Honda stuff with heat shields.

New tire on the back (T31), and same going on the front next week.

The bike appears to be just fine. The only thing I can't recover is ten consecutive days of unscheduled work calendar for riding.

However, I have blocked off 2x four day weekends for AR and OK STOC events and hope to see some of you there. I'll try again next spring if not this fall!

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Finally got this whole thing together. Work has kept me busy so I gave it a snippet of time here and there.
The rear wheel was easy. The rear caliper rebuild was easy. Replacing the SMC was easy. Replacing all the pads was easy.

Bleeding the brakes did not go so smoothly. Ultimately, with Igofar's assistance, a blockage was diagnosed. In short, the PCV passed a kidney stone and then everything started to work properly. IGF said that was crap left in the circuit from the old SMC. I had to go through the whole brake system twice. The safety check worked. Everything stopped as it should and released when it should. I think the rear brake is actually stiffer than the front. Right now I just want to ride.

Tomorrow, the shop will fit me in and get my front tire changed, so I'll have new rubber front and back, too. I wish I had to go to Arkansas this weekend.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Final update on this -

Got to the shop when they opened so they slapped my new T31 on the front to match the back. Put on 200 miles, all fun.

One finger braking power. Very smooth handling. There was a tendency to understeer on off-camber turns that probably relates to needing more preload. This is my first ride after servicing the adjuster.

I decided to randomly wander around Skiatook lake. Came upon a tight little right hander. Went in easy. Good thing, too because it was blind and turned out to have a decreasing radius, oh, and it comes into a left hander the same way, oh, and it goes into a right hander again! On gravel. Managed that and turned around in someone's long country driveway and went back to some other, different, unfamiliar roads.

Loved the Sargent seat.

I had a lot of fun and it was great to finally more fully enjoy this machine I purchased back in late May.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Did you buy a Sargent seat? Sorry I haven’t had a chance to loan you mine. I have been working a lot. Probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I’m just thankful to during theses times to even have a job!

Top Bottom