Old 28amp alternator left me stranded this morning

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Took the ole girl out for a spin this morning. She was performing well when all of a sudden she died on me coming out of a turn. Fortunately there was a park on my left so I was able to coast into the park. Thanks to my Dad who had the time (he's retired, haha) to come and pick us up.Back at the house I stick the volt meter to the battery and 11.75 v showing. Hmmm, battery isn't being charged. ( no I don't have an on board volt meter) but you can bet your bottom I'll have one very soon.
Once the battery is charged I'll start the process of checking all connections but firstly I'll start her up and check as to whether or not the new rectifier/regulator is sending power to the battery for charging. If not, I'll move on to the alternator. Of course the R/R showed sending 15.7 or so volts to the battery.
Hopefully it's a loose connection.

now I've checked the voltage coming off the R/R it reads 11.03 volts where as it was just over 15v when I installed it. Now I'll check the blade connections to the R/R and I'll retest each of the 3 wires coming from the alternator. There is no plug connector between the alternator and the R/R because I removed it and soldiered those wires together.
I'm expecting loose blade connectors or a faulty alternator which by the way tested good before hand.
Wouldn't that just beat all if I ended up needing to replace the alternator.

well after testing the alternator wires I found what appears to be an intermittent problem or the old alternator was hanging on by a thread and has finally quit.
the 1st wire tested showed 0 volts, 2nd 21.5 volts, 3rd 0 volts, but to make things interesting I retested them again(all this at 4000rpm) and found all 3 wires showed 0.5volts.
Just for info the exciter wires(blk and white) coming off the battery showed 10.9 volts.

What am I forgetting here, anything?
Does it sound like an alternator that needs to be replaced?

Terry

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
you may have broken wires at the alternator both the ac and dc wires may be at fault don't jump the gun just yet test them if you can someone chime in with this as ive never seen the 28 amp alternator it should be rebuildable so not a total loss I think

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Sofawizard but I believe I resolved myself to replacing my aged (136,000 mile) 28A alt with a new 40amp. I've began researching on this site, st riders, mike martin's and any other sources of info I can find. All input is welcome from everyone.

Bike
Red 1995 ST1100
Hey Alvarez5044, I am starting my alternator upgrade this weekend. Got all the parts and a brand new alternator for about $600.00. Got it all online.
I have all the special tools to pull the swing arm. If you need anything I live in Geneva Florida. Good luck.

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Sofawizard. I have to agree that it is a big job, but having done it once myself now, I think that I could do it again within a few hours. (Now that I know what I am doing and that all the bolts are free etc)

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Alvarez5044, I am starting my alternator upgrade this weekend. Got all the parts and a brand new alternator for about $600.00. Got it all online.
I have all the special tools to pull the swing arm. If you need anything I live in Geneva Florida. Good luck.
Thanks krummenaker,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was out of town. I priced up the parts on partzilla and it came to $540+.
Where did you order your parts from?
I may very well be interested in the tools you have.
Finally how did your upgrade go?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks krummenaker,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was out of town. I priced up the parts on partzilla and it came to $540+.
I did the upgrade several years ago; can be done in a day but took two and cleaned up stuff. Check "Service Honda" for the parts; good prices and great service.

Also, contact John Oo on ST-Riders.net (he checks in here too) and get on the list for the traveling tool kit that has the special tools, documentation, and IIRC a video of the process.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I did the upgrade several years ago; can be done in a day but took two and cleaned up stuff. Check "Service Honda" for the parts; good prices and great service.

Also, contact John Oo on ST-Riders.net (he checks in here too) and get on the list for the traveling tool kit that has the special tools, documentation, and IIRC a video of the process.
Thanks sirepair,
I'll check "service honda" as you've suggested. I'm actually excited about doing this. I know that might sound crazy but I enjoy working on her, also florida riding season is here and I'm missing out.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
performed the upgrade myself last week - took me more time to drill a hole in one of the bolts that came from the old alternator than to do the actual swap ;-)

Bike
Red 1995 ST1100
Just finished the upgrade and everything is great. Taking her out to Biketoberfest this weekend. Good luck on yours.

Bike
Red 1995 ST1100
Hey Alvarez, yes I got my parts from Partzilla, had the best prices on the web. I could mail you the tools if you like, just let me know. The upgrade went great, taking her up to Biketoberfest this weekend. Good Luck.

Thanks krummenaker,

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Ride safe.
I'll let you know about the tools once I have all the parts here.
Thanks again,
Terry

Hey Alvarez, yes I got my parts from Partzilla, had the best prices on the web. I could mail you the tools if you like, just let me know. The upgrade went great, taking her up to Biketoberfest this weekend. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Finally the parts are ordered for the 40 amp upgrade. Very excited to finally be moving in a positive direction. As a side note part of my delay was repairing a chicken coop we recently acquired, making it secure for 3 lovely ladies (chickens).
This coming weekend I will disassemble the bike in preparation for the weekend of Nov8-9. I'm off call/work that weekend and should be able to complete the task. I do however believe it will take longer than I anticipate, plus I'm going to perform some drive shaft maintanence that's recommended while it's apart.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Checking on the shipping progress of all my goodies I've got coming left me with only a big sigh as the date of estimated delivery is now Nov 12th. Oh well, I've got bigger fish to fry than the alternator at this moment. I had started a thread concerning broken off brass threads stuck in the motor so I'll be working on that through out the day. To me that's priority one with the ole' girl. I may be disappointed but I'm not down.

On a side note and totally unrelated to motorcycles. We (our family) now have added 4 more chickens (for anyone that has them) to our brood for a total of 7 laying hens. Chicken TV is what's on most afternoons. So much better that watching the news, etc, etc .....

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Wow what a day yesterday. My dad showed me how it's done reversing the broken brass screw out of the bike and...............a Fedex truck pulled in and delivered the parts for the upgrade. Yep, I opened that box cuz I wanted to feel what a $410 alternator felt like :D sure is purty and I thought for sure I saw the ole girl smile.
The swing arm is off, the drive shaft looks good except the splines are a little dry. Over all probably not bad for 136,000 miles and an unknown service record.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad to hear you got that out. Yeah, old guys (dad's especially!) rock!!! :D
(I might be a bit biased on both those though; so, you might take those endorsements with a grain of salt!).

Good luck with the upgrade and I suspect I'm not the only one that would enjoy some pictures...
Just a hint of course! :D

Top Bottom