Older riders and wrist pain

SuperTanker

Bike
05 St1300
Have any of you ST riders in the age 60 range notice any wrist pain after your long rides. I notice after week long rides that my wrist joints are very sore. Maybe its not from the angle of the bars and just an old age thing. I just thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else has noticed it, and if so what do you do about it?

Bike
Goldwing
Well, one of us is four years from that number but does have pains. Mine are moSTly due to trouble with both thumbs but the wriSTs are aggravated some as well. Long rides sometimes bug me. I've added the foam grips to the STock ones and this helped me. During my firST long trip I had to add a crampbuSTer and that helped me. Haven't added the risers yet, but do consider that.:)

OP
OP

SuperTanker

Bike
05 St1300
I have the risers and the BMW grips. I have thought about the foam covers but forgot what they call them in order to order some.
Thanks

Byron

STOC #
Cruise control is a wonderful thing for long trips. Not very helpful in the twisties unless you're just cruising and enjoying the scenery. Grip Puppies is what you're trying to remember.

coty_jim

Wesley Terry
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
grip puppies are what they are called. I think they come in a couple of different sizes. I haven't had wrist pain, but I get occasional "pins and needles" in both hands after a few hours in the saddle. I believe it's from an old auto accident which gave me a very serious case of whiplash and neck-shoulder issues. I also would suggest a cruise control, I use the Audiovox CCS-100 and it works great.

OP
OP

SuperTanker

Bike
05 St1300
I know that his isn't the forum to discuss cruise control but, was your Audiovox fairly straight forward to install? What I mean is do you have to be an electrical genious to do the job?
Thanks
Al

Al
Two things worked for me without having to modify the bike. First I started taking fish oil capsules with Omega III. Second I learned to support myself on the bike by using core muscles and to a lesser extent thigh muscles. I confess I haven't ridden a week straight, but I've had many 10 hour 500 mile days with no problem. Hope this helps.
Allen K.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm an orthopedic surgeon's best customer (I think I put his kids through college by myself!;-) I have had shoulder surgery also on the right one.) I've had an STT resections on both wrists (a rebuild of the thumb/wrist joint) due to the absence of remaining cartilage so I am very sensitive to wrist pain. I use the flip clip mod (basically a 1 inch or so riser) and some Rojen grips on my ST1100s

http://www.flandersco.com/action.lasso?-db=_Flan_Levers.fp5&-lay=Accessories&-format=/AccessoryResultsP.html&-op=cn&Catagory=Accy8+Grips&-skip=0&-max=50&-lop=and&-find

(the part number is 151-0001 - but you will have to cut a hole in the end of them for the bar weight), and I do have the McCruise control. I do put on quite a few miles and seldom get sore wrists. The Rojen grips are 'fat' in the middle and conform more to the natural shape of the hand, with ribs running lengthwise (and they work well with grip heaters). They also have a 'throttle rocker' built into the right grip. When you sit on your bike, check how much 'bend' you have in your wrists. The tighter the bend, the more chance you will get wrist pain on longer rides. For instance, I cannot ride something like a VFR because my wrists just won't bend that much after the surgery. If you can position the handbars so that your wrists are in a more neutral position, you will probably find a lot of the pain going away. On the ST1100, you can also rotate the bars in the clamps to get a little more favorable position. Hope that gives you some more ideas.

Bike
'07 ST1300
this may sound odd, but you may need to see a good chiropractor.....this might head off future surgery.....at least it's worked for me...

often wrist pain can be associated with misalignment of joints, which a good chiropractor can help you with....

and I would suggest NOT placing a lot of weight on your arms/wrists/hands while riding.....try to remember to keep your grip LIGHT on the handlebars.....

seems like I've read here quite a bit about riders being tense and gripping HARD on the bike grips.......

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
No pain, but my arms sure do get tired. Seems to me that Honda designed the ST as more "sport" than "touring." It's fine on short rides but after the first 1,000 miles, I really start wishing for a better seating position. I have risers and they help, but still not enough.

i have found that using sports wrist wrap supports work very well in taking some of the stress off of the joints & tendons...found in the sporting section of big box stores or close to the meds department...do not cost much & seem to help me...otherwise...yes, i get wrist pain even when using core muscles in back, stomach, & legs to support me...stick them in my jacket or tank bag when i do not need them...:03biker::)

OP
OP

SuperTanker

Bike
05 St1300
Yes I was thinking about those wrist supports. I think I'll give that a try in the 2010 riding season, Thanks.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I ride a Blackbird and ST1100 both in stock configuration. I've installed Audiovox cruise controls, which offer helpful relief. On the ST I've grip puppies as well. Most helpful is good posture -- balls of the feet on the pegs, chest out and chin up, relaxed arms and good lower body control. Wrist pain is seldom a problem, even on long trips. If it comes, it's the result of unconscious tension, I think, gripping too tightly or arm straightening.

Styles

Top Bottom