• Start with a City beginning with A
    • This is BY STATE
    • Similar to the Tag contest, there will be one thread per state
    • Post a picture of your bike AND some sign, building etc which clearly shows the city/state you're in
    • The next person posts from a city with the name beginning with B, then C, D, etc
    • You can't posts back-to-back pics, you have to wait for a person to post the next city
    • Once Z is reached, the game starts over with A
    • If your state doesn't have a city beginning with the next letter in sequence, it's okay to skip that letter
    • If the location sits for more than one month, the person that posted that is open to move it to the next letter.

The World Wide game is a bit different as it is by whatever is considered a geographic type of regional category, state/province/village etc. and all those will be in the single World Wide A-Z topic.

ON: A-Z (Round 9)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I picked up the "K" on a ride on Monday.
The J was posted on Friday. The K was picked up the previous Monday but posted today, Saturday. Is this correct protocol?

I was under the impression that in addition to being in alphabetic order, these tags were supposed to be in chronological order as well.
i.e.
I would only post a photo of a K that I had collected after the J was posted and accounted for. Is this not required? If not, this would have made things a lot easier.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The J was posted on Friday. The K was picked up the previous Monday but posted today, Saturday. Is this correct protocol?

I was under the impression that in addition to being in alphabetic order, these tags were supposed to be in chronological order as well.
i.e.
I would only post a photo of a K that I had collected after the J was posted and accounted for. Is this not required? If not, this would have made things a lot easier.
Doesn't matter when you get it.. you can go get the entire alphabet on one ride and post every other letter as others post letters.. the focus is to ride.

STOC #

i.e.
The only rule I follow is that the photo needs to be recent. I don't believe the rules make any mention of chronological order of when the photo was taken. I've posted many that were taken before the photo it follows. I now go to more than one "letter" when out looking for "A to Z" tags because in the past I've gone out and taken just one photo, only to find that someone else beat me to it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not in my opinion, you still hv to go ride to get any of them.

Plus, I can't prove or enforce it much, so just not posting back to back letters is the easiest option.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Doesn't matter when you get it.. you can go get the entire alphabet on one ride and post every other letter as others post letters.. the focus is to ride.
Seems like that discourages riding.
I see your point Joe however, if 1 or 2 people can take a day ride and easily photo the entire alphabet, then it just becomes a posting competition.

Not much reason for anyone else to play.
It would appear that my thinking is similar to that of Jeff, and why I always thought that chronological order was required. Cataloguing multiple letters of the alphabet during one ride and then waiting to post them seems to defeat my understanding of the purpose of the game. I understood the point of these games to be to get more people out to ride more. I thought that chronological order was in place to enhance that objective.
Plus, I can't prove or enforce it much, so just not posting back to back letters is the easiest option.
I would very much hope, and choose to believe, that with this group the honour system precludes any need for enforcement as is the case with many other of the riding games.

Just in case there is any doubt about why I am asking, I am in no way challenging the tag that was posted, or campaigning for a rule change, or any other modification to the game for that matter. I asked only because I wanted to know what it is that I am supposed to be doing because up until this tag was posted I believed that chronological order was part of the game. I had been doing this in chronological order all along because of that belief. I'll probably continue that way regardless, simply because it means more riding.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I sometimes take a backup of the following letter I'm intending to post, in this case I had an M just in case someone posted while I was out... I could have got an N, but O would have been a real stretch. I see the points being made, but I'm OK if someone posted their backup. I think we all are generally following a chronological order, and not posting "old" photos e.g., from a month ago. OTOH, I think we would find it difficult to take too many in chronological order in one day. I once participated in a contest to get all the letters of the alphabet in Ontario in two days, no requirement to take them in chronological order. It took every bit of the two days to do that and plan the route so that you could. Take a look at a map and see if you can put that route together..........

I'm basically saying I'm OK as is, if someone wants to take a half dozen and post them, then have at it. I'll know they rode quite a bit, it's not something I'd ever do nor do I think anyone has so far done more than 1 plus a backup...... let's just carry on and have fun. The worst that can happen is you reach the end of the alphabet sooner and have to start all over again. Kinda like riding that fave road you found, turning around and riding it again.

The Tag game OTOH forces you to wait until the last is posted. Or like yesterday, I had a plan but somebody beat me to it. All good.

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
IMO, taking a backup photo or 2 in case you get scooped, is fine.

Much beyond that and it's more posting than riding, ... and discouraging to others who might want to join in.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You had to ride to post.

I'm not going to enforce 1 letter per ride.

STOC #
I will continue to seek out and take photos of two or three locations whenever I'm out looking for tags because I like playing the game and it gives me a great excuse, as well as a destination or two for the ride. However, in the future I'll just not mention when I took the photo, so that should eliminate this concern.

I always use a recent photo and have a library of most letters from years before, but I've never re-used an old photo that was taken for a previous round. I've gone to the same location, eg. Queensville at least three times and taken different photos over the years. I've done that because there are only a couple of "Q's" in Ontario and the game tends to get stuck there.

BTW, I took photos of "K" and "L" while I was out last time, but can't post the "L" because of the back to back rule. On the next nice day I'll go and get another "M" and "N", so I'll be ready with one or the other, once the "L" is posted by someone else.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
However, in the future I'll just not mention when I took the photo, so that should eliminate this concern.
Since I was the one who asked the question that raised this issue, I feel that for clarity I should state unequivocally that I take no issue whatsoever if you continue as you have been doing. Feel free to include when you snagged a tag as well.

My question was not intended to be an objection or to initiate any changes. I was playing the game based on rules that I incorrectly assumed to be in effect. When I learned that you were playing differently, I simply wanted to know what I should be doing. No more, no less.

Carry on, and have fun doing it.
My season is over.

Top Bottom