....on the matter of buying an "exotic" bike

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
It might be an old article, but the lesson is still relevant. I can remember stopping for a nature break while out in a long lonely stretch of desert and thinking both of how beautiful and desolate the area was...and about what I'd do if my bike broke down.

My riding is both commuting and long distance riding. For commuting, I need something reliable that will be there day after day, and not leave me stranded on the side of the road with the rain pouring down on me. And for the long distance riding, I need the same thing...except now I'm not where I can get the bike towed to my garage and figure out how to fix it.

I used to look at Moto Guzzi bikes like everyone else does. They are cool. There's nothing like them. But I wouldn't trust one on a cross-country trip.

Chris

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Money no object... I'd buy 3 exotic bikes, and pay a mechanic to live in my garage.

I'm not convinced there's a motorcycle that's considered in the same vain as an exotic automobile.
Though a dictionary states:
very different, strange, or unusual
Sir, I give you, the Vyrus 987 C3 V4. I've had the pleasure of sitting on one at a bike show in London. I think that qualifies as "very different, strange or unusual." Expect to pay north of £70k GBP for a guy to fly from Italy, measure you, then wait 6 months for the bike to be built for your individual needs.

New Wing and Africa Twin are cool but not easy to work on !

So I found my 2nd BMW and took the plunge as my 60th bday present. Price was lower than similar RTs due to known issues but it was fully serviced and five warranty items done.

but I would never go Aprilia or KTM or Ducati just too uh exotic :)

Bike
1994 ST1100
Indeed. ...and frankly, with the Japanese brands, its not like you cannot find a great bargain, a bike that goes waaaay too fast or one that won't wheelie to your heart's content.

I mean, these are the people who built, the ST1300, Interceptor, Fireblade and Blackhawk, the RD350 and RD400 and XS650, the H1-500 and H2-750 ring-dings, the GT380, 550 and 750 Water Buffalo and superb GS/GSX four-strokes in the past and now the new GL1800, the CBR series, the new H2 and the excellent MT07 and MT09 along with the SV650 and GSXR series of bikes.

The key thing is - all of these machines will stay together and keep running while they do all of that fun stuff.

Whatever additional performance is in those exotic bikes, in all candour, is inaccessible to 95% of the riders I know (including me). We simply aren't skilled or courageous enough to use the extra capabilities and people who think they are, are either kidding themselves or are far crazier than me.
You forgot the 2 Yamaha FJ models and all the VFR's.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
......for a guy to fly from Italy, measure you, then wait 6 months for the bike to be built for your individual needs.

How much extra for some tread on the tires and padding on the seat? I'm thinking the Italian dude is mostly there to measure your wallet. If you measured the guy who fits this bike, he'd have a 24 inch inseam and 48 inch arms.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not "exotic", but rare for SoCal, was my 1985 V45 Sabre!

BobInSMorig.jpg

I ran up to Canada in June of 1999 to pick it up. I had to have it delivered south of the Canadian border, to "get it across". Then at first Kaliforniastan wasn't going to register it, but they did, as a "Grey Market Bike". Grey Market bikes were basically motorcycles in the state illegally, but back then they really didn't care. I'm not sure if you can still do that today!

The Canadian models didn't get the Harley mods (700ccs and changed out the instruments).

I put almost 25,000 miles on it, and then bought a '84 V65 Sabre, before a couple years later buying my first :dr13:.

I actually wished I still had that bike. But I had to sell both the V45 & V65 Sabres after buying the :dr13:

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Not "exotic", but rare for SoCal, was my 1985 V45 Sabre!

BobInSMorig.jpg

I ran up to Canada in June of 1999 to pick it up. I had to have it delivered south of the Canadian border, to "get it across". Then at first Kaliforniastan wasn't going to register it, but they did, as a "Grey Market Bike". Grey Market bikes were basically motorcycles in the state illegally, but back then they really didn't care. I'm not sure if you can still do that today!

The Canadian models didn't get the Harley mods (700ccs and changed out the instruments).

I put almost 25,000 miles on it, and then bought a '84 V65 Sabre, before a couple years later buying my first :dr13:.

I actually wished I still had that bike. But I had to sell both the V45 & V65 Sabres after buying the :dr13:

My first sport tourer was an 84 V65 Sabre. Barn find for $800 and only 7000 miles. Had to do the carbs three times before I got them right but then it just ran until I sold it at 85,000 miles. Never replaced any camshafts either. Had the full fairing but not the Honda hard bags. Many happy miles on that bike. Bulletproof.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My first sport tourer was an 84 V65 Sabre. Barn find for $800 and only 7000 miles. Had to do the carbs three times before I got them right but then it just ran until I sold it at 85,000 miles. Never replaced any camshafts either. Had the full fairing but not the Honda hard bags. Many happy miles on that bike. Bulletproof.
My '84 V65 Sabre was the first bike I could feel like putting lots of miles on. Even though I had it for just 2 years before getting my '05 ST1300, and before selling it four years after, I managed to put on over 26K miles! :thumb:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It might be an old article, but the lesson is still relevant. I can remember stopping for a nature break while out in a long lonely stretch of desert and thinking both of how beautiful and desolate the area was...and about what I'd do if my bike broke down.

My riding is both commuting and long distance riding. For commuting, I need something reliable that will be there day after day, and not leave me stranded on the side of the road with the rain pouring down on me. And for the long distance riding, I need the same thing...except now I'm not where I can get the bike towed to my garage and figure out how to fix it.

I used to look at Moto Guzzi bikes like everyone else does. They are cool. There's nothing like them. But I wouldn't trust one on a cross-country trip.

Chris
But, but, but according to your profile you ride an "exotic". Living on the edge??!!

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
But, but, but according to your profile you ride an "exotic". Living on the edge??!!
It's not a "real" BMW. :D Just ask any of the people over on the BMW MOA forum. ;)

The F800GT is probably in the top rung for reliability, at least among BMW models. There's no final drive to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. The bike uses a belt drive. Inspect it occasionally, and all is good. Mine finally needed to be changed at about 53,000 miles. The electronics are simple. Instead of the fancy computers to control the suspension thousands of times per second, there's three settings -- Comfort, Normal and Sport. The engine doesn't need drive modes. It has enough power to break the rear wheel loose in slippery conditions, but the traction control is again, just the minimum. It doesn't try to adjust in the middle of a corner. It's probably the most reliable model BMW makes.

And for an old man like myself, the 470 lbs wet weight, is a delight. :)

Chris

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I had a friend in the 70's who had a Husqvarna 390 with an automatic transmission. It was an enduro monster, but it required a transmission rebuild after every couple of enduros. Something about some Sprague one-way bearings that gave up regularly. My only Husky was a TE610. As usual, I kitted it to the gills, Safari tank, pipe, crazy lights, seat, etc. Then I learned that the valve lifters last for about two tires. I guess with a head rebuild every other tire didn't meet my reliability standards. Also, the electronic dash would go dark occasionally until it decided to light back up. The bike kept running though. It is safer to just throw your wallet out in the street.

Wow, that right there is a Man's garage. Finished walls, dropped ceiling, and industrial rack shelving, perfect for storing your anvil and safe collection.... Respect.

RT

Took my K/GT for another spin what a hoot !

i see lots of older BMWs on the road and some of them are pristine .. sadly many older jap bikes are not and look sad or worn out.

They just don’t get the respect, case in point a local dealer has a 1000 Hurricane for cheap but I already have one toy

Top Bottom