One missing screen bolt.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Having assembled all the ST1100 plastic panels I finally noticed one screen bolt with allen type head was missing . Will the MOT man nail me to the wall for this ? Is a screen bolt that important ( I nearly said necessary , which is silly ) . The top fairing and screen have never been removed and I can`t make out how they are fitted with all the obscure plastic covering the inside bits . Is there a dismantling sequence preferable to Hari Kari ?

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I looked up Seppuku on Wiki and that led to Boiling in Oil which is far worse .Now I`ll have nightmares .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I found the ST100 service manual again .I had lost that . Indeed the screen removal is quite nasty and the sloping side panels need to be removed (again ) if I ever get round to it . The missing bolt hole does not seem to have anything inside the hole to screw into. Immay fill in the gap with a screw and some Bostik and paint it black. One Scottish bridge was put up like that but the train crash showed it up. The Tay Bridge disaster --or so they say .

Bike
VStrom 650
The screen ain't hard to remove fella, is it 4 or 6 screws, I forget. Might be 5? But it's probably 2 minutes including finding the screws you drop.
Are we talking about the same part?
Upt.
Edit....
There should be 5 JIS screws. Item 16.

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
I'll tell you that I've been running without the center screw since day 1, there are air vents directly below that must relieve some pressure, and that screen hasn't moved. Yes, it would be nice to have (just looks cleaner), and I'll be taking my body work off here soon, and at that time I will address it. But no adverse effects from it not being there.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
center bottom hole it a plastic rivet.
That’s on the Garnish. You don’t need to remove it to remove the screen.
A number of us have upgraded that to a clip nut and use a screw to fasten the Garnish to the fairing. I would highly recommend doing so if you utilize a larger than stock windscreen. If not there is a chance that the slide clips of the Garnish will break from the additional wind pressure of a larger screen and case the screen to be less rigid and flop around a bit.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is a screen bolt that important?
Dunno about the MOT tester, but with one bolt missing, the load on the other mointing points on the screen increases -> risk of cracking... worst case: drag ripping the screen off at speed...
And as already pointed out should those be 5 pcs black anodized JIS cross-head screws, with a nylon washer under each head (except on the pre '96 models where the two upper fixing points feature those black triangle pieces...)
So if it would be my ride, I'd inspect and fix the issue right away...

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I tried to decipher the diagram and then looked on a site selling the parts.Getting past the bits I did not need there were parts numbers which probably were screws but they were all unavailble . Clunk! My bodge with glue and some left over black paint is not going to draw attention .The paint had all but solidified but there was a smear left ( It was water based so I spit on it to make it usable )in the centre to use before it all went in the bin .High Tech .No expense spared .

Bike
2000 ST1100
If you think the screen is hard wait to you have to replace the headlight bulb. I've only had to do it twice but for me it's a 1 hour job of mirrors and cussing before its in. Screen removal and install is a piece of cake.

Top Bottom