one more keyless "key"

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Sourced wireless key module from aliexpress: Fingerprint identification control board mobile phone NFC. It comes with the box and wireless antenna, and optionally, with fingerpring module. It also has starter mode to use it as a starter switch bypass.
And two standard automotive relays. Connected it to hot wire from the ignition key socket. Didn't want to cut holes for button or fingerprint scanner, and used only NFC input. Figuring out how to pair mobile phone to use it instead oа RFID tag. I'll try to find and attach connection circuit scheme
Screenshot_20230423_182039_Gallery.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-23 184545.png

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I too just have the single key, but with a spring clip so I just clip it to my suit when not on the bike.

I can appreciate the keyless mod, I just don't put a whole lot of faith in orphan electronics from the Chinese black hole of electrical bits.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... I just don't put a whole lot of faith in orphan electronics from the Chinese black hole of electrical bits.
Or tinkering with primary circuits to begin with...
(I always leave them alone... blowing the fuse of the taillights is one thing, risking a failing ignition while on the road a totally different story...)

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Quick connect key ring, so you can separate the bike key from rest of keys.
sometimes (almost always) I need to warm up engine and also open paniers, topbox with the same ignition key while preparing to a ride. Now I can do it without shutting engine off )

And just in case, I can still bypass this chineese electronics and use key as usual.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like 3 relays. Or is one OEM?
I added two high-current (40A) relays in the cuts of oem circuit (drawn in red color - one for ignition line, one for fan line). Third relay was in the wireless module already.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Low tech approach: Quick connect key ring, so you can separate the bike key from rest of keys.
sometimes (almost always) I need to warm up engine and also open paniers, topbox with the same ignition key while preparing to a ride. Now I can do it without shutting engine off )
Slightly higher-tech approach: I carry two key rings, each with an ignition key and a top-box key.

I can start the bike and open the luggage, and I also have a spare ignition key in case I lose one.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Or tinkering with primary circuits to begin with...
by the way, I dont know why they (honda designers) didn't use relays for ignition key switch. All high current goes through it - horn, lights, fan, everything. With this mod there will be only few milliamps of current just to latch relays.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Slightly higher-tech approach: I carry two key rings, each with an ignition key and a top-box key.

I can start the bike and open the luggage, and I also have a spare ignition key in case I lose one.
Emm.. I don't know where is my spare key ring.. keeping it at home somewhere...

How I've done it for years ...

1) One keyring for the house /barn
2) A keyring dedicated to the vehicle.

Once you lock up the house/etc, those keys are not required for the vehicle. And vice versa.

And of course, a tracker tag (using Samsung SmartTag here) for each keyring, cause my wife bought one for each keyring, cause I'm notorious for misplacing keys. (spent 30 minutes looking for zero turn key yesterday, not worth a tag).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Two relays, one small pcb kit and 30 min of time, thinking how to crumple wires.
Nice!! :thumb: How big is the fingerprint module? Mounting it near the right grip could make starting the bike more efficient. But your approach works for you and it's invisible which is pretty trick. I also get the reluctance to cut into the Tupp.

How difficult is in to make a spare fob or is one included with the kit? I get that you could carry a key in case the fob is lost but you'd want to replace the fob at some point.

My preference would be for a ~2' distance so that just walking up to the bike would turn on the IGN.

Very slick install. Congratulations on solving your problem.

And of course, a tracker tag (using Samsung SmartTag here) for each keyring
My bike key is the only key in one of these:

And attached to it is an Apple AirTag. My other key rings are so tagged as well.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
How big is the fingerprint module?
seller has 3 sizes of fingerprint module - smallest one is 20 mm in diameter. But yes, I'd prefer to keep tupperware intact.
Kit has a master key to link new fobs.

My preference would be for a ~2' distance so that just walking up to the bike would turn on the IGN.
That would be more convenient solution, agree. Some alarm systems have this function as I was told. Maybe it would be better to go in this way and also have two-way remote alarm system.

Top Bottom