one more keyless "key"

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No it's just a STrip of leather. I wouldn't mind a metal inner support though but I'd want the fitment for a single key.

No it's just a STrip of leather. I wouldn't mind a metal inner support though but I'd want the fitment for a single key.
Keyports are very cool. If you've never seen one, they are the "swiss army knife" of key organizers. You can add screwdrivers, scissors, files ... all sorts of interesting accessories to one. I might be rwong, but I think they're guaranteed for life.

The idea
I thought up a different type of keyless setup with no wiring mods for an st1300
The basic idea is mounting the key in the igniton with a round head on it and a plate from the riser over the top to prevent removal. You turn the head to start the bike.
This prevents anyone removing the key to open the luggage. At this point your thinking this is the most stupid idea in the world anyone can start the bike but this is the smart
bit you remove the hiss chip and epoxy it to the inside of a well fitting ring on the hand you use to turn the key. Now the key cannot start the bike without the ring. minus the fact with a metal disc over the igintion most theives will think the ignition is now elsewhere.
Why bother?
Carrying a key has numerous drawbacks. If you are abroad when any of the follwing happen you are really screwed.
1. you drop your key near your bike or forget it in the ignition. For some reason you included you disc lock key on the same ring and you bike is stolen with no payout.
2. you snap your key in the igniton
3. you lose your key while away from the bike and now cant start the bike
4. Its raining you have put on all your rain gear and realise the key is in your inside pocket.
The build
remove the hiss chip and cut the plastic head off the key you will be left with a snub
At this point depending on the tools you have you can either use a thick metal disc or cut off a length of rod to make the round knob.
If you want the knob to be deepset you will have to lathe the end at an angle to match the igniton dip or lathe a step so the end is the same diameter as the lock plate and the top is wider than the ignition cover to prevent water ingress if you really clever you can lathe a notch so the top of the knob sits over the ignition cover stopping water.
For the easier option make a metal disk as wide as the igniton cover to just sit over the key
whichever disc version you make make a slot cut to accept the head of the key then fix in place with the method of your choice glue solder or maybe weld you can also use a pin through the side of the disc and the head of the pin if your aim is good.
File or cut lines round the disc edge for grip
insert new key into ignition. remove riser top plate and make a metal plate that fits in the area and goes under the bigger bolts the end should come out the front and sit over the centre of the top of the disc this could be a triangle shaped plate or a plate with a long point at the front. mark and notch the riser cover plate to sit over the new piece.
If needed add a bolt above the key head down through the plate this will allow you to put pressure down on the key to make turning it easier.
epoxy hiss chip into the underside of a well fitting ring but roughen the surface inside the ring well

Negatives
Its very unlikely but If someone figures out what the knob does they can turn on you ignition. If left your battery will be flat on your return
I dont know the range from the ring to the hiss chip this would need to be tested. Its my understanding the bike only needs the hiss code to start not after
The ring if metal may reduce the signal range so may need to be another material. to test the range you can remove the chip from the key and put the key in the ignition bluetack the hiss inside the ring and try.

Other ways to reduce key issues.
Change your igniton to another used one on ebay. This way you are using your igniton key less and you can get plain unchipped keys for the pannier locks
Buy a small tool lanyard the stretchy type and attach your ignition key these are long enough to reach the igntion and unlike a chain you will feel the pull if you try to walk away a chain will just snap the key
buy a pack of fishing lanyards on amazon they are coiled plastic with wire inside they last for years but are too short for ignition to clip so are ideal for topbox and disclock keys
do not keep your disc lock key on the same ring as the igniton key obviously
wrap a spare key to keep it protected and attach is under a panel somewhere. buy a broken key removal set £5 and put that and alan keys to remove the panel in the left front pocket.

How to get lost keys back
1. search for deeply engraved solid brass circular dog tag on amazon. On the order page select line one REWARD line 2 first half of you phone number ie 07564 line 3 the rest 000000 do the same for side 2
Do not buy cheaper options i have had them they suck and the colour wears off inside the numbers making them unreadable. When you lose your keys you will usually get a call very quickly often before you know you lost them goto the cashpoint get out £10 and go give it to the person that found them. Or fold up a £10 note put it in a small plastic ziplock and write reward on it and keep it in your jacket
Dont be cheap and make excuses just pay the £10. A basic house key is £8 to get cut minus the hassle of finding a spare a motorbike key or full set of keys is much more expensive.
Get one for your bike keys and one for your house keys and they will always come back.

2. Another option is a tile tag they connect to your phone via bluetooth and when log where your keys are. If you cant find them hit find and they will beep the keys or if you cant find you phone press the tag and they will beep your phone even if its on silent. When lost they will show the last location you had them and when you get near you can call them. The app also piggybacks off other tile users so if you click lost when someone passes them who has the app it will send the location back. Last week i forgot to click my topbox keys to my gear and left work with them still hanging out the topbox i got home realised they wer missing. usually i would have to ride back slowly while looking on the other side of the road which on a busy road is hard. I opened the app and saw they were near my work so bombed it back to where it said and they were in the middle of the road. depsite a car hitting it the tag is still fine.
Negatives are for the version with the removal battery it isnt cheap maybe £30 so buy a used one. Also if someone without the tile app picks them up in a remote area and walks off you wont know where they are. If this is in a busy area as long as you get near them you can ring them but if the person has walked far enough away it wont work until they pass someone with the tile app. Also if someone knows what it is its possible they might take the tag and throw the keys. The best option is the dog tag

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Keyports are very cool. If you've never seen one, they are the "swiss army knife" of key organizers. You can add screwdrivers, scissors, files ... all sorts of interesting accessories to one. I might be rwong, but I think they're guaranteed for life.
I would not like to have the massive weight of that thing messing up my ignition lock barrel...
(females are kinda excel in this art; a key-chain collection like a dungeon master and actually wondering why her car's ignition lock wouldn't work anymore...)

Top Bottom