One more reminder: it's not the size... it's the technique

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
One foot should always remain on the rear brake to keep from getting pushed into the intersection when re-ended.
Actually preached in advanced rider trainings over here...
Two contact patches the size of an egg, and balancing a top heavy bike with a full tank of fuel, on your tippy toes is just down right dangerous.
It actually starts by always observing where you stop...
Choosing the center of a lane, hence right on the hump of tarmac with sunken truck-tracks on both sides can end you up in trouble...
Watched (and picked up) a number of short legged girl-riders struggling, trying to put her foot down... no ground... bam!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I believe if someone rear ends you, your body is probably going to fly backwards (whiplash) pulling your feet off the ground and brake pedal, and your hands off the bars... basically its going to knock your bike out from under you. Imo it would be foolish to think that one toe resting lightly on the brake pedal could stop the momentum of a 3000 pound car in motion, from punching a 600 pound motorcycle 30 feet forward,. Physics are physics.

I do put my left foot on the ground and my right on the brake pedal at a stop, depending on the surface of the street at a stop, (I may have to put the right down if the road is sloping to the left) but I dont do it because I believe it will stop a car from punting me out in an intersection

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I believe if someone rear ends you, your body is probably going to fly backwards (whiplash) pulling your feet off the ground and brake pedal, and your hands off the bars... basically its going to knock your bike out from under you. Imo it would be foolish to think that one toe resting lightly on the brake pedal could stop the momentum of a 3000 pound car in motion, from punching a 600 pound motorcycle 30 feet forward,. Physics are physics.
+1 Inertia / Newton's Third Law of Motion / whatever. There are good reasons to keep a foot on the brake pedal. Standing your ground isn't one of them.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I always handle the ST through proceedure. It's a big ass bike and I have no interest in challenging it's enormous weight or momentum. I just wish I could find that 710 cap.
If you turn around and look at that cap with a mirror, it will say OIL. :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

I do put my left foot on the ground and my right on the brake pedal at a stop, depending on the surface of the street at a stop, (I may have to put the right down if the road is sloping to the left) but I dont do it because I believe it will stop a car from punting me out in an intersection
Perhaps I can add some useful comments....maybe not...but I have been rear ended on bikes (3) times already!
One on a Goldwing GL1500 while sitting at a red light. Young girl on her cell phone was not paying attention and plowed into me at about 20 miles per hour.
Foot on the brake lever (flashing brake light caught her attention) just enough to slam on the brake. Estimated skid marks - 20 mph. Moved my bike half a bike length forward, but not enough to slam me into the car in front of me.
Second one, Drunk Woman coming off freeway, down the ramp, where I was waiting at a red light in the first position. Slammed into me at approximately 30+ mph.
Also on a Goldwing at the time.
Destroyed both mufflers, bags, trunk, and rear frame bracket (totaled bike) pushed me past the limit line and half way into the intersection!
Luckily, no cars hit me, threw the bike over on its side and bailed off without injuries.
Third time, on a GL1800 Goldwing, was sitting in traffic, about 3 cars back at a red light, and was struck by a STOLEN Honda Sports car, FLEEING from the police at the time.
No skid marks, no brakes, smashed into me, threw me over/through the shield, AND the car in front of me! I landed on HIS hood, and rolled off. Goldwing was completely destroyed between the Stolen/Fleeing vehicle, and the car in front of me. My front wheel ended up in his trunk. Engine knocked out of bike.
The funny thing about this accident was, as I rolled off the hood of the car and landed on my feet, the FLEEING car jumped the curb, hit a fire hydrant, and was stuck for a moment or two....just long enough for me to Punch through the drivers window and hit the driver in the face. Even the Officers got a good laugh out of that....Car got away, nobody ever caught, had to sue my insurance company to get it paid for etc.
Lesson's learned from these....
No matter how good you think you are at holding the hand brake, when your startled, your grip opens up!
When your startled with you foot on the the lever, you press down even harder! Maybe all the years from driving cars, who knows.
Foot on the lever, gives ME three contact points for balance, lights up the rear brake light to get folks attention, and does SLOW DOWN the bike from being pushed into traffic (most times)
As far as the 3rd accident, I was just plain lucky.
Ride safe out there.
:WCP1:

Top Bottom