Ontario Members- Salvage Registration Question

Bike
st1300 vfr800
It is also a lot of work to get a car or truck unbranded . A few places will do it but lots of pictures needed and a lot of paper work for it to be done . Think a lot of ford trucks with the aluminum bodies being written of because of the cost for buy new rivets to hold them together .

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I saw my friend today. I mis-understoud what I was told that the motorcycle shop stated about changing the frame. They told him that the only way to get this bike plated in Ontario is to replace the frame with another frame, therefore another serial number, that has a serial number branded none. The problem is that they told him that finding such a frame is next to impossible.

So, anyone have such a frame hanging around that they don't need?

What a load of B,S.. I understand the need and desire to thwart ne'r-do-wells but come on, a little bit of logic isn't to much to ask is it?

This guy may end up scrapping a perfectly good and perfectly functional and beautiful motorcycle for no other reason than red tape. Pretty sad.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
So no paperwork (ownership) change to Ontario, I assume still registered in Quebec? Sell it to a friend in Quebec (on paper), have he/she plate and insure it there, and so it is 'stored' in Ontario. Or sell the bike there.

Bike
2008 ST1300a
I saw my friend today. I mis-understoud what I was told that the motorcycle shop stated about changing the frame. They told him that the only way to get this bike plated in Ontario is to replace the frame with another frame, therefore another serial number, that has a serial number branded none. The problem is that they told him that finding such a frame is next to impossible.

So, anyone have such a frame hanging around that they don't need?

What a load of B,S.. I understand the need and desire to thwart ne'r-do-wells but come on, a little bit of logic isn't to much to ask is it?

This guy may end up scrapping a perfectly good and perfectly functional and beautiful motorcycle for no other reason than red tape. Pretty sad.
Maybe find out what folks who build custom bikes from scratch do? They must be able to register a bike with a frame they built?

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
So no paperwork (ownership) change to Ontario, I assume still registered in Quebec? Sell it to a friend in Quebec (on paper), have he/she plate and insure it there, and so it is 'stored' in Ontario.
Finding someone willing to do that long term because of the responsibility the registered owner has might not be so easy. I would not do that for someone else on a long term basis. There could also be insurance problems long term if/when something happens.
Or sell the bike there.
He has already mentioned that this is what might end up happening. Pretty sad I think.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Maybe find out what folks who build custom bikes from scratch do? They must be able to register a bike with a frame they built?
My understanding is that in the case of custom built motorcycles they are starting with a new frame that has a serial number that has never been registered, therefore it has never been branded. I assume that there is a safety inspection required to make sure that it is safe and meets the regulations. Once that inspection certificate is issued that serial number is branded none, which is the status needed to get it registered.

In this case this motorcycle has already been branded irreparable, which is the Ontario equivalent of salvage. Since it is not possible to legally get a structural inspection certificate for a motorcycle in Ontario under any circumstances, you can not get its status changed from irreparable to none, so it can never be registered in Ontario. It seems that the only option is another frame with a serial number that is currently branded none. Two motorcycle shops who specialize in BMW's, one in Eastern Ontario and the other at the other end of the province in Sarnia, have both told him this. They both also told him that finding a frame is next to impossible and, because of that, would probably cost a lot more than he is willing to spend to fix this problem.

Top Bottom