Optically isolated relay boards

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Has anyone use these for another application?

I'm thinking about replacing my current trailer wiring relays in the ST with this all-in-one board just for compactness & neatness. (Yes, I don't need optical isolation)

1654788092053.png

Envisioning the install like this:

1654789633087.png

Last edited:

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
You probably don't need opto-isolated kit. I think that board is limited to 5V on the control side, and is active-low (pull the input to ground to enable the relay), although they're changeover relays so probably not a massive problem.

I would be looking at a basic trailer bypass relay - designed for the job!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I don't see any issues with you using this board, I did something similar on a trailer I had some time ago. This is pretty similar to many power distribution boards available for accessories etc. The one thing I would do if you use this is to make sure it is well protected from moisture. A lot of these types of relay boards are not coated. A board made for a vehicle is usually coated to prevent corrosion issues. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You probably don't need opto-isolated kit. I think that board is limited to 5V on the control side, and is active-low (pull the input to ground to enable the relay), although they're changeover relays so probably not a massive problem.

I would be looking at a basic trailer bypass relay - designed for the job!
It says the board will do 5v or 12v (you adjust the pin jumpers)

Most of the trailer bypass systems I see are for a 4 wire system, and I'm running a 5 wire setup. (running, brake, left turn, right turn, ground)

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't see any issues with you using this board, I did something similar on a trailer I had some time ago. This is pretty similar to many power distribution boards available for accessories etc. The one thing I would do if you use this is to make sure it is well protected from moisture. A lot of these types of relay boards are not coated. A board made for a vehicle is usually coated to prevent corrosion issues. Just a thought.
I was thinking in a small project box.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Ah, missed that! In that case, should be good. Should hopefully handle any transients ok.

I forgot you lot run weird electrickery :) It's all 7 or 8 wire stuff over here.

You can get brush on conformal coating (a couple thick layers of laquer/paint will do ok although not as durable and more awkward if you need to make repairs or changes). I wouldn't rely on just a project box - even if perfectly sealed (they never are) you'll get condensation inside, and moisture can also track up cable insulation.

Reactions: Obo

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
If you put it in a sealed container I would put a desiccant package in it to help keep it dry.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Opto isolator boards are typically used when input and output voltages are not the same, eg industrial equipment controls running 24 vdc and 120 VAC outputs to device. But no reason they can't be the same if it suits your purpose :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Most of the trailer bypass systems I see are for a 4 wire system, and I'm running a 5 wire setup. (running, brake, left turn, right turn, ground)
I used a sealed trailer wiring and relay harness from Kuryakyn on my ST1300. It is set-up for separate brake and turn signal lights, so it has the five wires that you need. It includes the trigger relay that isolates it from the battery when the motorcycle is turned off.

The nice thing about it is that it includes all of the relays in one small waterproof box and all of the wiring that you need to connect it to the motorcycle and to get to the trailer connector. It also includes the fused relay trigger wire. All the relays are electronic and completely sealed in the one waterproof case, including the trigger relay, so everyhting easily fits in the tail piece of the ST1300.

Another nice feature is that it also has an extra fused 12V+ supply line that you can use to send accessory power to your trailer. I never used it, but I wired it up for future use to power an electric cooler.
At $130.00 CDN, I didn't think it was worth making my own by the time that I bought everything and made it. I bought it form FortNine.
Kuryakyn Universal Trailer Wiring & Relay Harness - 7671

Top Bottom