Orange Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor-TPMS (DO NOT BUY)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
UPDATE: Per this post by Larry, it's recommended you do not purchase this item
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?108902-Orange-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-TPMS&p=1510124&viewfull=1#post1510124

I decided I wanted to try this and I knew I was taking a chance as their ads all stated
the pressure range from 0 to 50 psi and the temp range was -4 F to 176 F, also, you
can't adjust the front/rear hi/low settings but I typically set both tires the same so I didn't care so much.

However, when I got the item, there was an updated specs page added which
states the pressure range has been updated to 0 to 74 psi and you can now adjust the front and rear hi/low warning settings independently so those running different kinds of tires may love this.

I installed this on the Tenere as I needed to put new tires on and wanted to scrub those in
as well as give the TPMS a go..

I purchase this from Wingstuff.com for around $160.

Positives:
  • Price - at $150, it's probably the cheapest of the inside-wheel TPMS products.
  • Monitoring - The longest I've seen it take to record tire pressure and temperature is about 20 seconds, fastest was about 2 seconds. You don't need to be moving forward for the sensor to record like other systems and it's not as long as several mins with other systems. The manual states it will take up to 3 mins to record pressure/temp but I've not seen it take that long at all.
  • Sensors - These are sensors that looks like the ones that go in cars and it has metal
    valve stems, the would easily mount to an ST11/ST13 wheel.
  • Display - The blue display w/white numbers is very easy to see in bright light.

Negatives:
  • No angled valve stems - yes, only vertical ones however, if you know your pressure and it can be retrieved quickly, you're not going to have to deal with adding air or checking air as often so may be a wash.

Conclusion
I give this a big thumbs up and may see about getting some for next year's NatSTOC giveaways.

Update: This is also known as an Orange TPMS because that's the company that makes them (Orange Electronics). This one is model M202.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Re: TP Checker Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor

The look kinda stubby in the photo. Would they be a lower profile once mounted than the stock ST's stems ?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

The look kinda stubby in the photo. Would they be a lower profile once mounted than the stock ST's stems ?
They'll be fine on the ST. Here's a pic on the Tenere rear wheel, it is pretty close to the oem valve step once installed, maybe a tad shorter.

Attachments

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

This looks very similar to the Orange TPM system. The reason for delayed readings on certain systems is that they are trying to prolong life of the batteries in the sensors, so a triggering movement or time delay is a feature. Also important to me is the availability of replacement sensors.... Orange claims 3 year battery life, SmartTire was 7 years, e.g. I would buy from a source that has replacement sensors available.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

Good point Ray that was why I had to get rid of my Smart TIre system sensors went bad no replacements. They stopped supporting the MC TPMS. But it seems as though TPMS's are becoming more common so mayne there is hope for more MC TPMS's

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

It is the orange tpms system.

Fwiw I got this back from Orange.

Yes, all units shipping through Orange are the updated 0-74psi units.

We are not currently planning on developing a 90 degree valve stem for the unit, see attached image of the valve clearance on a 2002 Honda Goldwing wheel.

The valve stem on the sensor is ~1" from the base and only the nut and valve cap show (~.75") above the rim, typically leaving quite enough room to get in there and add pressure. Also, by having a monitor for pressure, the theory is that you should not have to mess with the valve nearly as much.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Well, the company exists now so I have to assume replacement sensors will be available. I'm sure everyone thought smart tire would be around forever too, that's just a gamble no matter what you buy, anyone got a Saturn? ooops

The manual has instructions for replacing sensors and re-mating them with the receiver.

As for the 3 year battery life, not sure I understand how they calculate that... 3 years for one rider may be 100k miles of riding but 30k riding for another. Perhaps they are always transmitting, constantly? I'm okay with that as the one thing I never liked about the other TPMS products is there wasn't an immediate read of the pressure. So, in my opinion, they were more for warning while riding rather than checking your pressure before you get moving.... only due to that delay in the reading. The fact that this one displays the reading immediately is great to me as I can put air in before I have all my gear on and start my trip. I love that convenience.

I'm not trying to bash the other product as many really like the Smarttire and Doran and other options out there however, FOR ME, this product has the best mix of features and enough so I actually bought it. The angled valve stem isn't as important to me if I already know what the pressure is, most of the time I check it the pressure is fine anyway.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

I agree Joe the Smart tire had to be moving and above 16 MPH before it gave you a reading. Other than the valve stem this one looks real good and as you said the valve stem is really a non issue if you are getting a reading without having to stick gage on it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I decided to move this over to the ST, had a tough time trying to figure out where to mount the display but then moved my Gear Indicator over and it's just about a perfect fit on the dash.

You can't tell due to the angle of the pics but you can see all of the display and this just so happens to block out a section with no information on the OEM dash.

I'll post more once I get the sensors in the wheels and have a finished product.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Installed. I tapped the small position lights for 12v power.

Here's a couple more shots, the one in the dark doesn't show the numbers but they are there, some strange lighting effect.

Attachments

STOC #

hey! This one I can actually read while underway. Might have to put my current TPMS up for sale when I go to replace my tires.

Bike
04 ST1300

Tpms seem to be attached to the instruments glass, i am wondering is its velcro or 3M used for attachment, surely it will leave some permanent smudge on the glass in case of permanent removal of TPMS from the bike. I purchased Tiregard TPMS and the screen is much bigger and it came with 2 small velcro stripes for attachment to tank. I didn't fancy the tank option so i mount it on the bars, and on my 1st ride it fell off when i hit the portholes, so i have to order another unit, now i don't know the mounting solution to use.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Tpms seem to be attached to the instruments glass, i am wondering is its velcro or 3M used for attachment, surely it will leave some permanent smudge on the glass in case of permanent removal of TPMS from the bike. I purchased Tiregard TPMS and the screen is much bigger and it came with 2 small velcro stripes for attachment to tank. I didn't fancy the tank option so i mount it on the bars, and on my 1st ride it fell off when i hit the portholes, so i have to order another unit, now i don't know the mounting solution to use.
The kit comes with velcro patches but I used some 3m trim tape. If you had to remove either one, shouldn't leave any marks behind.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

When using an internal TPMS how does it affect tire balance? Does a lot of weight need to be added to counteract the weight of the sensor?

STOC #

When using an internal TPMS how does it affect tire balance? Does a lot of weight need to be added to counteract the weight of the sensor?
I don't think it would be any different than an external. I just order one of these and will be attempting an under glass mount this winter. My TireGuard will now be up for sale $99. shipped.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They are pretty light. I'm sure there's some affect but most tires/wheels are not perfect to begin with so it's not something I worry about. I've put more weight on a wheel that didn't have a tpms.

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

They are pretty light. I'm sure there's some affect but most tires/wheels are not perfect to begin with so it's not something I worry about. I've put more weight on a wheel that didn't have a tpms.
To bump this thread and get some more information before I pull the trigger on this:

Has the manufacturer addressed the problem of sealing the valve stem? I read several reviews (old) where the buyer had to go out and find a rubber washer/grommet to affect a seal. I don't want to have to take the wheels off twice.

By the way, these are available on Amazon for $138.00 with free shipping. FWIW

Bike
st 02 & 03

I got mine the other day after asking on here and reading the thread from mellow. I spole to the UK out let about this same issue. While they did acknowledge it happens they say that the nut should be done to the torque stated. My kit has a stepped rubber washer so I'm hoping a good seal will be made. The other thing they said was to check the valve insert (not sure if that is the correct name) and use the correct tool or long nosed pliers to nip it tight.
As per my post I have not fitted the senders yet as I intened to take the wheels off myself and save a few ???,

Top Bottom