Ordered a phone mount

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
After reading about another member's mishap with his phone meeting an untimely end I ordered a Tackform cradle with RAM ball from @Motorcycle Dave.

I've been wanting one since my Wing buddy got a variant of it and figured now was a good time. I'm happy with the price too. These are nicely made. I had an X-Grip that held well but pushed a Volume button unless very carefully mounted. And the Tackform is much lighter than the heavy duty mount I've been using so it will sit well on the RBIS mount.

Anyway I called him up and it'll be going out tomorrow. I'm a happy Gui. :D Thanks Dave!

Bike
2012 ST1300A
After reading about another member's mishap with his phone meeting an untimely end I ordered a Tackform cradle with RAM ball from @Motorcycle Dave.

That is exactly why I posted my own experience. I hoped it would prevent anyone else from suffering the same fate. I did find out from other members that the X-grip comes with a safety strap but I bought the bike used and it was not included. I really like the Tackform mount you posted and the reviews look outstanding.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have Velcro pile on the back of my phone and the hook side on my tank bag, I’ve layed my bike down at 55 mph and the phone stayed on tank bag which stayed on bike

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've used an X-mount for years, starting with my KTM 950, and I never had any security issues, even on some really gnarly offroad excursions.
HOWEVER!! I upgraded my phone a few months ago to the Galaxy S10, and it lasted about 3 weeks on the X-clamp. Rode the ST on a road being paved, and it flipped right off!
Took me 15 minutes to find it in the rain; it had skidded across 3 lanes, into oncoming traffic and was run over a couple times. Or more.
What a pisser!
So I'm back to my old phone, on the X-clamp, with one elastic addition...
X-mount on ST1300.jpg

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I've used an X-mount for years, starting with my KTM 950, and I never had any security issues, even on some really gnarly offroad excursions.
HOWEVER!! I upgraded my phone a few months ago to the Galaxy S10, and it lasted about 3 weeks on the X-clamp. Rode the ST on a road being paved, and it flipped right off!
Took me 15 minutes to find it in the rain; it had skidded across 3 lanes, into oncoming traffic and was run over a couple times. Or more.
What a pisser!
So I'm back to my old phone, on the X-clamp, with one elastic addition...
I feel your pain, but I don't have a back up so Im stuck waiting 7 days for my new phone to be delivered. :censored:

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Great choice. You don't need the supplied rubber strap - the phone stays put without it. I have hit some serious potholes etc. on my FJR and the phone (iPhone SE) hasn't moved an inch with this mount

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I recently upgraded from the Ram X-Grip (for sale BTW) to the Quad Lock system with wireless charger and shock damper. The X-Grip was OK, but I had to position my iPhone off-center to avoid it pushing the volume or on/off buttons. It was two-handed install to squeeze the arms open, position the phone and one at a time loop the rubber retainer around each corner. Finally I then plugged in the power connector. I started looking for a different answer when I clumsily knocked the phone out of the X-Grip, hitting it on the back side with my hand after reaching forward to access some dash buttons. Good thing I had the power cord plugged in or I'd have lost it on the freeway! I was also hearing about how hard-mounting the phone was killing the iPhone cameras. Now with the Quad Lock it's a one-handed, press and rotate 45 degrees and the phone is locked in and charging. Protected from vibration too. I am very pleased with this system.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I asked for, and received an X-Grip for Christmas a few years ago. I might have used it if it hadn't been for the arms interfering with the buttons on my Samsung Galaxy S7. There was an excruciatingly small window where I could position it without it pressing the buttons.

Then a coworker arrived on his scooter as I was leaving work on my bike and I saw this RAM phone holder. The Quick-Grip. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU
It fit my S7 like a glove. It holds the phone very solidly and I trust it 1000x more than I ever would the the X-Grip.

1616520549387.png

Then I upgraded to the Galaxy S10 and it was larger than the Quick Grip could accommodate. Enter the Quick-Grip XL. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD4-238AU

1616520577760.png

Balance in the universe restored. :)

The little arms on the sides are configurable and allow you to snug them up against the sides of the phone as well as position them to avoid buttons.

Highly recommended by me.

Bike
2014 ST1300
Those who bought the quad lock, what kind of mount did you use and how did you attach it? I bought one with the stem mount but it's proving to be a pain so I'm wondering if there is another alternative. I looked at the handlebar mount but not sure how it will fit around the bars where there is space.

Top Bottom