Overheating Problem.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rode today on a 243 mile lunch run (round trip). On the way home, I experienced some overheating. During my winter lay-up I changed the thermostat, a few hoses, and anti freeze (among other things). Have put just under 700 miles on the bike since this work with not even a hint of leakage or overheating, with a rock steady 3 bars showing on the dash. Then came today's ride.

It was around 65 deg F on the trip out, and hit a high of 75 on the trip back. About 15 miles into the return trip we encountered stop and go traffic on the Interstate. This lasted a total of about 3 miles, and we would ride maybe 50 to 200', stop and wait a bit, then repeat it. A few times we puttered along at maybe 20 - 25 mph. After maybe a mile of this, I noticed 4 bars, then 5, then 6, at which point I pulled onto the shoulder, turned the bike off, and watched my friends drift ahead in the single lane of cars. After about 100 yards, I powered up, and rode at a moderate pace on the shoulder to catch up, stopped and shut down the bike. I thought this might give the bike a chance to cool, but more importantly, if the fans were not working, a brisk speed and ram air would cool the radiator. The temp dropped in these runs, but not as I expected. Had the fans been off, I would think from 6 bars I would see, 5, then 4, then 3, much as I had when the temp increased. Instead, when I turned on the ignition it showed 4 bars, and stayed there, climbing again after some slow riding. (I was stopped for only a few minutes in these 'rests' - less than 5).

After a few cycles of stop and rest, catch up, the temp gage showed 3 bars and I joined my friends. After a short stop and go, the temp climbed again. Repeat the stop and rest, and after a bit I again saw 3 bars. Finished up with the construction zone and rode following my friends at around 70 for maybe 10 or 15 miles. Temp was steady at 3 bars. In all, after that construction zone, I rode a total of a hair under 100 miles, at speeds as low as 60 and as high as 85 with long stretches at 78 showing exactly 3 bars.

Rode the 3 miles from the freeway to my home in slow suburban traffic w/ 3 bars. All this on a gorgeous sunny day of 75 deg. Once home I checked the overflow tank. It looks like I have not lost one drop since finishing the layup maintenance. No AF on the garage floor, either. New t-stat is a Honda part, installed w/ the tickler hole at 12 o'clock per the manual.

I hesitate to pull the fairing to check the rad. temp switch because I'm going on a trip tommorrow of about 100 miles out, and return on Saturday.
Have not even looked at the manual. Tommorow before I leave I'll check the fuse for the radiator fans.

Questions: 1. Where is the sensor that turns on the radiator fans? Is this one of those two connectors I pulled apart when I removed the radiator?
2. Where is the sensor that tells the dash the temp of the engine coolant? Is that on the back of the thermostat housing?

Any other ideas?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You could easily hear the fans running when the temp went 3 to 4 bars. The fans cycle at the high side of 3 bars, before 4 bars ever come up.

The coolant temp sensor threads into the thermostat housing. It signals the ECU the coolant temp which switches on the fans.

There are two connectors, one on each side of the radiator, that connect each fans positive and ground wires to the wire harness of the bike.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Questions: 1. Where is the sensor that turns on the radiator fans? Is this one of those two connectors I pulled apart when I removed the radiator?
2. Where is the sensor that tells the dash the temp of the engine coolant? Is that on the back of the thermostat housing?
See attached.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
You could easily hear the fans running when the temp went 3 to 4 bars. The fans cycle at the high side of 3 bars, before 4 bars ever come up.
The coolant temp sensor threads into the thermostat housing. It signals the ECU the coolant temp which switches on the fans.
There are two connectors, one on each side of the radiator, that connect each fans positive and ground wires to the wire harness of the bike.
i have never noticed the fans running, ever. Might be an awareness problem on my part, or that I simply associate the fan noise with general engine noise or I've not heard it over the engine noise at idle.

See attached.
Thanks. I hope it doesn't come to testing the sensor. I really have no desire to pull the tupperware, radiator, tank, airbox and throttle bodies to do this. I'd explore the possibility of doing it from the front before I go in from the top.

Bike
07 ST1300
You should notice the fans running for sure, without a doubt. Good luck with your fault finding.

Bike
2003 ST1300
On my 2003 st1300, when the fans kick in at idle the RPMs drop noticeably due to the increased load on the alternator. Was the same on my 1999 st1100. The RPMs return to normal when the fans switch off. The sound of the fans can be masked by traffic noise, especially in stop and go traffic, and the fact that I have Two Brothers M2's so I watch the tach.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
1.) If you let it idle long enough the fans will come on.

If they don't someone disconnected them during a service and left them that way or you have other problems.

I would think that if the bike cools to 3 bars at riding or highway speed the cooling system is OK and that rules out the cooling system. The look to a sensor, fan, or ECU problem (see #1 above).

Sensors rarely (never) give problems on the ST1300 unless the connection terminals are corroded and then the symptom is that the bike shows higher temps than actual, that is 4/5/6 bars show and the temp is actually normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
1.) If you let it idle long enough the fans will come on.

If they don't someone disconnected them during a service and left them that way or you have other problems.

I would think that if the bike cools to 3 bars at riding or highway speed the cooling system is OK and that rules out the cooling system. The look to a sensor, fan, or ECU problem (see #1 above).

Sensors rarely (never) give problems on the ST1300 unless the connection terminals are corroded and then the symptom is that the bike shows higher temps than actual, that is 4/5/6 bars show and the temp is actually normal.
Rode the 110 miles to my rally and back with a little riding down there. No problems at all - but there was only one episode of stop and go on the way and I shut the bike down to avoid problems and started it up when I could move. So, another 200+ miles of high speed + some miles of around town moderate speed riding with nothing above 3 bars.

I'll pull the tupperware and idle the bike in my driveway to see if the fans come on. I repeat, I've never noticed them before and never had this problem.

As for the sensor, I've read here that final drives on ST's are bulletproof, yet mine was problematical at 26k miles and was replaced at 32k. My Ford steering box on my Econoline died (service manager, "These things NEVER go bad, let alone within a few years of being new...."). So, if the fans are working when I apply 12 v to them from a car battery, then I will HAVE to dig out the sensor and check it. I'd feel pretty stupid replacing an ecu only to find a dead sensor - or relay.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
You shouldn't need to remove the tupperware. If you let the engine idle from cold, the fans should come on after around ten minutes. You will definitely hear them chime in. Good luck.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
On a warm day (who's to say what's 'warm') after a decent ride at three bars when I park the bike with the engine on the fans will frequently fire up. On a warmer day it will happen within seconds of being stopped in traffic. Whether in the garage or on the street I can easily hear them. And I'm still at three bars.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You shouldn't need to remove the tupperware. If you let the engine idle from cold, the fans should come on after around ten minutes. You will definitely hear them chime in. Good luck.
+1 you'll also feel the heat come up thru the fork gap.

Top Bottom