Overlaod Shock/Spring 07 ST1300

Bike
07 ST1300
I have been afraid to ask this question......so before any comments, I have prob thought of them all.:p:

I am 6-1 and 265, wife 6-0 190. We have ridden several bikes. Our last bike was my 1st cruiser. (06 VTX1300). We put about 18K on the bike, however I could never get used to the feet forward riding position, so I traded VTX on ST1300.

I could not be more pleased with the preformance, riding position, etc. The one major downfall I have to the ST1300 is the prelaod adjustment. With my VTX I adjusted the spaner to the 2nd from the last notch with Mustang his/her seat. It worked very well 2up and a tourmaster "sissy bar" luggage set.

The ST1300, not so well 2up for us. It seems to feel uncomfortable when we are both riding. Rear of bike drops several inches. Not much in the cases except odds & ends and a small ice chest with water. The feeling of leaning back 2up was exaggerated by the installation of the MCL Gen III riser.

To solve this and to stop wife from taking the ST on joyrides. :) We bought her an 2001 Kawaski Concours. Great ride, but she is terrified by herself at highway speeds...............don't think she will ever make it.

I have the prelaod turned to max for the size of our a**es......(LOL wife is gonna get me!) I need help. Riding is one of most favorite things to do. Does anyone know of heavy duty spring/shock for the ST1300?

I would appreciate any help. I really like the ST..................

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
First of all welcome. Glad to see someone else here in Okc. And yes your wife is going to get you!:D How many miles is there on your bike? Could the shock just be worn?

OP
OP
mmj201
Bike
07 ST1300
I only have about 2000. Just bought in May. You must work nights like me! "welcome to the darkside". I live in Spencer. We should start an OK STOC?

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I am in the same boat . Between me and my wife i need more spring ....Is there any thing out there other then a wing or harley.....

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Take a look at this.

Hyper Pro

Most people recommend upgrading the springs in the forks as well as doing the rear. There are several members that have done this with positive results. The ST line in general has been known to be a little light in the springs.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I know the manufacturers are a bit conservative in their load capacity and gvwr. The ST1300 has something like a 375 pound load capacity. All the after market springs and shocks in the world aren't going to change that. Here come the judge!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
First try a Hyper pro rear spring with a 3/8 inch spacer and and there matching front springs for a $300 investment before you go out and spend nearly a grand on a complete new spring/shock combo. The wife and I and travel gear I'm sure weight at least 550#'s and the hyper pro stuff is great.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I know the manufacturers are a bit conservative in their load capacity and gvwr. The ST1300 has something like a 375 pound load capacity. All the after market springs and shocks in the world aren't going to change that. Here come the judge!
Posted via Mobile Device
I haven't been able to understand that. 375 load capacity isn't much. It would be one thing if this was a crotch rocket. I am 225 lbs which means there is no way my wife and I could ride 2 up with any gear. No am not going to say what she weighs because I don't want to sleep outside tonight. But I will say by the time I filled the saddle bags and top box, add in ATGATT for 2 riders and she would only be able to weigh about 75 lbs.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I haven't been able to understand that. 375 load capacity isn't much. It would be one thing if this was a crotch rocket. I am 225 lbs which means there is no way my wife and I could ride 2 up with any gear. No am not going to say what she weighs because I don't want to sleep outside tonight. But I will say by the time I filled the saddle bags and top box, add in ATGATT for 2 riders and she would only be able to weigh about 75 lbs.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
Posted via Mobile Device

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS

Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Posted via Mobile Device
;) I'm not. I don't know if 375 is right but it is close if not right. I am just saying I don't understand what they are thinking. Have the Japanese Engineers never seen a corn fed American boy? We are not exactly small. ;) Though you would think they kind of understood this when you look at the seat height.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Hondas seem to be notoriously undersprung, including Goldwings. You'll wonder where you got the new bike when you upgrade to a more adjustable rear shock and front springs. Race Tech has a new G3 shock which they might now have available for the ST. Just put one on the FJR (OEM wasn't awful) and I am simply amazed at the new capacity and stability.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
+1

Call Race Tech and see what they suggest.
Yes, great idea. And while you have them on the phone, ask them if installing their products will somehow magically change the load capacity listed in the owners manual. No insult intended but Jenny Craig may be a better idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I am simply amazed at the new capacity and stability.
I'm sure your stability has improved a great deal. I'm looking at changing my springs too. Your capacity to ride better may have also improved. But your load capacity has not changed. It's still the same as what's listed in your manual.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yes, great idea. And while you have them on the phone, ask them if installing their products will somehow magically change the load capacity listed in the owners manual. No insult intended but Jenny Craig may be a better idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know how Jenny can shrink me. I am 6'4" and there isn't much weight I can loose. If I would seriously hit the gym I might be able to get back down to my 195 that I was when I was in the Infantry and used to running 5 miles a day.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Your best bet is to do a search on sonic , hyper pro and penske srings and shocks this is something that has more pages about than you could read in a month

OP
OP
mmj201
Bike
07 ST1300
I appreciate all the feedback. My question has been answered. It appears as though I have three choices for an improvement to the rear suspension. Sure hope the wife never reads this post.....................I will be out in the shed.........:D

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I appreciate all the feedback. My question has been answered. It appears as though I have three choices for an improvement to the rear suspension. Sure hope the wife never reads this post.....................I will be out in the shed.........:D
Hope you get it worked out. I think I need to put heat & air and cable in my shed. Since I seem to stay in it all the time.:confused:

Top Bottom