Oxford Heated Grips

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm looking to buy some Oxford grips but in reading the description it says it fits 7/8 inch bars. I checked and the left bar is slightly larger than that and the gas side is of course larger due to the tube. Does anyone know if Oxford makes more than one product for different bar sizes? If so, which one do I need?

Bob

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I had Oxford Heated Grips on my 06 ST 1300 for years. Loved them. No issues with installation. I think I used the touring model

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If they're sized for 7/8" bars, the slight difference and the throttle tube are already taken into consideration.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have the touring model on my St1300.

model: OF691Z

The grips are slight different diameters (22mm clutch & 25.6mm throttle) to allow for the increased throttle tube size.

1606830751112.jpegIMG_8445.JPGIMG_8447.JPG
IMG_8443.JPGIMG_8448.JPG

The Cheese

My bike had the Sport version of Oxford's when I got it. After they died I tried replacing them with the Touring model. Little too short. So I went back to the Sport. 7/8's is what you need.

Add the Grip Puppies over them and you got yourself the perfect combo.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Add the Grip Puppies over them and you got yourself the perfect combo.
^^This. I did this a few weeks back.
I also have the cruiser model on my Bonneville and they are about the same thickness as Sport + GP (although I don't recall if the bars are 7/8 or 1".) Just get 7/8", make sure the length is what you need/want (some trimming is okay), and then guess at the thickness you'll want.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Grips have arrived and are installed AND appear to be working properly. Not as bad of a job as I was expecting. Riding tomorrow to see how they do on the road.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oxford heated grip update! I have learned that the oxford grips MUST be connected directly to the battery rather than through any fuse block or attached to any kind of switch. The grips evidently are "intelligent" and communicate with the battery. Sounds like some kind of Terminator deal to me, but what do I know? I always like to have an "off switch" for everything on the bike, but evidently I have to rely on machine intelligence now.

Reactions: Obo

The Cheese

Oxford heated grip update! I have learned that the oxford grips MUST be connected directly to the battery rather than through any fuse block or attached to any kind of switch. The grips evidently are "intelligent" and communicate with the battery. Sounds like some kind of Terminator deal to me, but what do I know? I always like to have an "off switch" for everything on the bike, but evidently I have to rely on machine intelligence now.
Not exactly true. Mine are connected to a aux fuse block. Only hot while the key is on. Works fine that way. The intelligent feature can be turned off. It's in your user manual. The unit senses voltage and vibration. If it doesn't see high enough voltage input and engine vibration, it shuts the grips down. Kinda neat.

I learned this the hard way. My bike had an older pair when I bought it. Controller buttons stopped working shorty after. Luckily I got some spare parts from another member. Changed the controller and nothing worked. After fooling around and poking this, and changing that, I gave up. It almost drove me to drinking! After giving up I happen to try it while riding. They worked! Then back at home in the shed they wouldn't! Urgh. Emailed Oxford who sent me a link to the user manual. Then I found the intelligent "feature". Promptly turned it off!

That said, there is nothing wrong with going directly to the battery. Probably better to.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not exactly true. Mine are connected to a aux fuse block. Only hot while the key is on. Works fine that way. The intelligent feature can be turned off. It's in your user manual. The unit senses voltage and vibration. If it doesn't see high enough voltage input and engine vibration, it shuts the grips down. Kinda neat.

I learned this the hard way. My bike had an older pair when I bought it. Controller buttons stopped working shorty after. Luckily I got some spare parts from another member. Changed the controller and nothing worked. After fooling around and poking this, and changing that, I gave up. It almost drove me to drinking! After giving up I happen to try it while riding. They worked! Then back at home in the shed they wouldn't! Urgh. Emailed Oxford who sent me a link to the user manual. Then I found the intelligent "feature". Promptly turned it off!

That said, there is nothing wrong with going directly to the battery. Probably better to.
Interesting. Can't find the manual on their website. Can you share the link?

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another update. The controller for my grips turned out to be bad. They quickly sent me a replacement at no charge, installed it, and went for a test ride. I quickly noticed (as others have posted on here) that the right grip is warmer than the left. Anyone know of a solution?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have used Oxford heated grips for years until I found out about Koso heated grips. I put these on my Africa Twin and could not be happier. Having the control as part of the grip is nice and the remainder of the controls are very small and easy to hide. They work great as well - very warm and can get very hot in the higher settings.

The Cheese

So you bought some. Happy that you did?

I haven't noticed one side warmer than the other. Never been an issue for me. Least as much as I can remember.

What was wrong with the controller?

How did you decide to hook them up?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Maybe Apollos work great on the Africa Twin, but on the ST it gave me problems with power delivery. They had never enough power at low rpms like at the stop lights or in slow moving. Just turned off.
Had to replace them with a Bike Master.
You must have had a defective set. I have no issues with power on mine even at idle. The battery is smaller on the Africa Twin as well. I also have Grip Buddies installed and the Koso grips heat fine even through those.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I just installed the Oxford "Sport" heated grips on my 1300. I wired them to a switched connection on the quartet harness at the front. Pretty easy install and toasty warm!

Bike
2004 ST1300
Another update. The controller for my grips turned out to be bad. They quickly sent me a replacement at no charge, installed it, and went for a test ride. I quickly noticed (as others have posted on here) that the right grip is warmer than the left. Anyone know of a solution?
The left is cooler because it is installed onto bare metal of the handlebar which works as a heat sink to dissipate the heat.
The right side grip is installed onto the plastic throttle tube, which insulates against heat loss and allows the grip to run hotter.
The only fix I have heard of was installing a throttle tube onto the left side and replacing the left heated grip with a right hand one which has a larger inside diameter.

Top Bottom