Pack Wheel bearings??

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I am going to replace some front wheel bearings. In the past I have taken the seals off and packed them with grease prior to installation. Given that I never see a bearing fully packed from the manufacturer, does that mean that doing it is unwarranted?
I always pack stem bearings but they are basically static. Would my packing wheel bearings actually be a poor practice???
Thanks guys.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Mark, generally there's no need to pack in more grease in a bearing that is sealed/packed at the manufacturer (unless you know it is shipped void of grease). A bearing is overpacked generally when more than half it's bearing raceway being filled with grease. When overpacked, it runs risk of "churning" the grease and overheating.

Nice summary here from a lube shop: http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/lubepdf/tg_200608.pdf
And here from a bearing manufacturer: http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/principles/troubleshooting/typical-symptoms-indicating-impending-bearing-failure/symptoms-and-typical-conditions/overheated-bearing/index.html

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks John, it is the churning that I was starting to see in my feeble minds eye and wondered how that played out.

I will leave them alone after looking to see they have not been missed by the grease squinter on the line. They just look like they need more when you look at them.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Hey Mark, If you can get the bearing number off the side, you can buy the high speed sealed wheel bearings for the fraction of the cost of, say Honda. I got high speed bearings for the ST - 30 bearings for $20.95. I also gout the drive gear flange bearings too... They are the exact same high speed bearings that are Honda issue. One bearing at Honda was over 40 bucks...

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Okay,,after reading BakerBoy's post and looking at the refereed stuff, I left them alone. I was wondering about the churning although I didn't know what to call it.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Hey Mark, If you can get the bearing number off the side, you can buy the high speed sealed wheel bearings for the fraction of the cost of, say Honda. I got high speed bearings for the ST - 30 bearings for $20.95. I also gout the drive gear flange bearings too... They are the exact same high speed bearings that are Honda issue. One bearing at Honda was over 40 bucks...
Ron, the bearings I was dealing with are #6004 They are for the Wing front but it could be the same as the 1300. The Wing has a pair of them on each side.

Bike
2006 ST1300
As was mentioned it's better not to overgrease ball bearings. They have a small surface area of contact and don't require much grease. Plus, being a bearing used for high speeds, more grease will cause the problems mentioned above.

"packing" bearings is mainly for tapered roller bearings. They have a much larger contact area and both require, and can handle, larger amounts of grease. Think about automotive wheel bearings from the old days. Pack lots of grease in, then clean & repack every few years. Now sealed ball bearings are used, and most last well in excess of 100k miles before needing attention. That isn't to say ball bearings are better...just that they need attention less often, and constant greasing isn't required. Properly cared for tapered roller bearings can actually far outlast ball bearings because they have adjustability, cleaning & regreasing is an option, and they can handle higher loads. But they have gone away because people want something they don't have to fool with...ignore them until they need replacing.

That should be remembered when installing tapered bearings in a steering head. Every couple years they should be disassembled, cleaned, repacked, and adjusted properly. They should last the life of the bike if that is done.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks Ron.
I said in my return PM that I would order some, and I did. Like you, I will have extras to help someone in a tight spot some day.

Top Bottom