Painting black Givi E460 top-box to match bike color

Bike
2002 ST1300A
Anyone had a successful attempt at painting the top part of Givi E460 (or similar) top-box, to match the bike color? I have one being shipped to me, and was considering if it is worth the hassle at all, or just leave it plastic-black.

I'd like it to match the ST1100 green color. The material is Polypropylene, which is not the friendliest one for paints. I'd expect the result to be durable enough to handle scratches etc. - what you can find on e.g. OEM side cases.

What could be the options for preparation and paint selection? If it is doable.

1616050440219.png

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
IMO, leave it black, since paint probably won't look good for more than a few years at best. Do keep the top treated though or it will dry up and turn gray.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I painted mine. I preped it with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was super clean and all waxes removed. I sprayed it with short strokes. I was pleased with the end result. Not a perfect match but better than all black.

Attachments

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I bought one that had been painted red ('95/'96/'97) years ago. I don't know what kind of paint was used but it has held up much better than the Honda paint. It has been stored inside the last few years. Pictured here on my latest red ST.

Attachments

OP
OP
Capital
Bike
2002 ST1300A
Thanks Ron. That is exactly the end result I would expect. Maybe worth taking it to a local paint shop, hoping they know what they are doing :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I got no horse in this race but I think a color matched trunk is a really nice touch. Just sayin'.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
IMO, leave it black, since paint probably won't look good for more than a few years at best. Do keep the top treated though or it will dry up and turn gray.
What would you suggest to keep it black?
I'll have to look for that thread of a couple weeks back; someone was asking how to keep black plastic trim / dashboard looking new on their ST. Remember that?
I remember some surprising answers, attested to by some, such as olive oil, and other crazy-sounding (but effective) methods. There was no consensus on the best plastic preservative, for non-colorized bits.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
What would you suggest to keep it black?
I'll have to look for that thread of a couple weeks back; someone was asking how to keep black plastic trim / dashboard looking new on their ST. Remember that?
I remember some surprising answers, attested to by some, such as olive oil, and other crazy-sounding (but effective) methods. There was no consensus on the best plastic preservative, for non-colorized bits.
There's little consensus on much these days. Any of the popular brands of plastic restorer work well for a short time, but Wipe New has lasted the longest for me. My alternate is the Meguiar's Ultimate Back.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I did not like the way my ‘03 looked with a black top box. Took a piece of the plastic to Home Depot and matched as best I could to a rattle can. Prepped the box and it came out very acceptable and held up well over 100,000 miles. All depends on your preference and it is your bike. Worst case scenario, I would have sprayed it black again.

Greg

Top Bottom