Pannier liners, do you use them?

Why use pannier liners since it's fairly easy to remove the panniers? My ST1300 doesn't have liners and I'm wandering if I should get some.

Thanks
Ron

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I bought the liners from someone here, in the For Sale area.
I travel with computer parts and tools, and I figure they will save the saddlebags' interior some wear and tear.
Some of the parts I haul around have rough edges.
Wish the zippers were more robust, though -- more like the YKK zippers on camping gear or duffle bags.

Does anyone make one for the1100's? Presently I put my tankbag from the Silverwing in the back trunk. Some day will see about a bag that works with the plastic cover.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
eBay is full of offers on pannier liners...
I still love my old style, light gray RKA ST1100 liners, whilst they start showing torn seams with the years...

Easy packing (once you'd figured out how to stuff them so they will fit the pannier ;)), carry to bike, throw them in, close, go ride...
Hotels, B&Bs, campgrounds... grab the (clean!) liners, throw them on the bed, unpack what you need, not scratching your (dirtied up) panniers on hallway walls or inside tight elevator cabins...

Same for top-cases BTW, the higher sidewalls of liner bags prevent stuff falling out while manipulating things with the bike on it's side-stand...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I typically use zip lock bags. I find all the custom pannier bags take up more space and rarely take advantage of all the shape of the bag itself. With zip lock bags I can put clothes in them then press the air out and form it into the shape of the bag.

I don't hotel so I might have a different answer if I did, but since I camp, most things stay in the saddlebags all the time except for what I want/need inside the tent.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I found the soft liners nicer when going into motels. They saved wear and tear and scratches on the hard cases. Bumping them in a small room is inevitable. I had installed aux brake/turn/running LED strips on the back of my panniers, and even though there was a quick(?) disconnect, it was easier to pop the cases open, pull out a bag full of clothes and gear, close the case and head for the campsite or motel than undo the connector and yank the cases.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Does anyone make one for the1100's?
Bestem does. They're sturdy and well made. They even have separate little zippered compartments on back that fits into the recesses in the back of the 1100's panniers.

I have two pairs of them. They make it easy to pack inside, carry to the bike, pop in and buckle the hold-down straps, and do the reverse when you get where you're going.

Faster, easier, and much lighter than taking the panniers off the bike. I don't have a top-box liner because I use it for stuff I want access to while on the road, like my drink.

See them here:

Last edited:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
liners.My soft bags on 1050 VStrom have white liners! Bright & easy to see stuff.I use old helmet bags to organize my stuff in side those.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Does anyone make one for the1100's? Presently I put my tankbag from the Silverwing in the back trunk. Some day will see about a bag that works with the plastic cover.
A small back pack (you can find them at Walmart, etc) will fit right in there. I cut the straps off as there's no need for them and they just take up space. Inexpensive and keeps stuff organized and from rattling around. They are easy to haul in and out of motels or camping.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Plenty to choose from...

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have the Ukrainian rack on my ST1100 which extends over top of the panniers. It’s a chore to remove the panniers, so using liners is a bonus. I can pack them up with the gear I need and quickly load the panniers without issues.

Top Bottom