Pannier liners, do you use them?

goddess-athena

STarbuck
Bike
2007 ST1300
Using the liners also means that you can pack your clothes and things tighter. I like to roll them, like my dad did his bag when he shipped out overseas. Stuff, stuff!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I typically use zip lock bags. I find all the custom pannier bags take up more space and rarely take advantage of all the shape of the bag itself. With zip lock bags I can put clothes in them then press the air out and form it into the shape of the bag.
I have pannier bags + I use roll up compression bags vs. ZIp Lock. Benefit of compression bags is no need for vacuum + it's amazing how little space clothes will take once they are rolled up vs. just packing them into a bag or using packing cubes.

URL, below, shows one type, they come in many sizes.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I use liners in both my STs. Third party copies of the OEM for the 1300 and genuine Hondaline ones for the 1100. Those for the 1100 were in fact originally designed for the PC800 Pacific Coast and they sold them as an ST1100 accessory as well. They're a kind of odd shape with a single top opening zipper with no provision for a shoulder strap like the 1300s have.

Like everyone else, even though the cases can be removed and brought into my place of lodging, when I have the liners with me I never do. They're a great convenience.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
They're a kind of odd shape with a single top opening zipper with no provision for a shoulder strap like the 1300s have.
The Bestems open fully and come with handles and removable shoulder straps, and front compartments.

1678643628660.png

Like everyone else, even though the cases can be removed and brought into my place of lodging, when I have the liners with me I never do. They're a great convenience.
To me, carrying in the panniers themselves is nuts; they're unwieldy and heavy enough when empty.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Right after I bought my 2005 ST I came into possession of a right hand FJR saddlebag liner. It still fit OK in the RH pannier of the ST and also in the RT. After a few trips and using the three pile method of weeding out the unnecessary items (see below) I could put about a week's worth of clothing and my shaving kit in it and still have nearly half of the saddlebag available for camp shoes, gloves, rain gear or liners, etc assorted clothing items in their own separate stuff sacks. Roll shirts and pants into cylinder shapes and clothes do not wrinkle though stuffed tightly together. I used criss-crossed small bungee cords to hold the FJR clothing bag in the inside half of the pannier. In the left side I carried tire repair compressor, tent, lap top and charger, heated jacket, misc.. In order to somewhat organize the left side I made a divider out of 1/8" foam board that came up halfway from the bottom of the pannier. Again criss-crossed bungees held the divider and stuff behind it from falling out and dumping stuff into the outside half. It was shaped exactly like the cross section of the LH pannier at the hinge line. When on the side stand and opening the pannier the divider kept stuff in the inside half of the pannier.

Three pile method of unpacking after a trip: Unpack and place each item in one of 3 piles. One pile is of stuff used on the trip and definitely making the cut for the next trip. Second pile is stuff I didn't use at all or used once but still think I need to take it next trip. Third pile is stuff not used and or could be purchased on the road if the unlikely need arose for it. Space stealers like denim jeans, sweat shirts, bulky cotton apparel, tool kits, hit this pile early.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I place things I won't need until I get there, clothes, etc., in the left bag, on the traffic side.

Things I might need on the road, rainsuit, tools, etc., go in the right bag, away from traffic.

Stuff I want quick access to en route goes in the trunk, drink or snack, alternate gloves, etc.

Once unpacked, I move a few things from right bag to left in an effort to maintain balance.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300

I used these for 8 years in my 11. Great kit. They now fit well in my Shad 35's.
I'm real happy you like your 35's. There are times when I give someone a recommendation and they run with it; only to tell me they regret following my advice. As for bag liners, I'd use them if I could afford them. I know, I know, they have them for $45.00 on Ebay made for my 1300; however with the massive medical debt from the wife's cancer hanging over our heads, I just can't justify the outlay.
I was lucky in one respect though. I found a Totes™ padded bag with internal pockets, brand new at a local thrift store. It fits the stock top box perfectly. I use the heck out of it... And there's enough room atop it for my laptop case.

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Won a pair of RKA’s , wife likes them cause she keeps her stuff clean and don’t have to take off he dirty panniers - great for roll and stuffing

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I bought this pair for my 1100. They are nice hard liner on the bottom, shoulder strap plenty of room and much easier to take with than pulling the pannier bags. They are so far water proof! I like the liners as they are nice to keep stuff in when just daily riding as I only put the top box on when touring.

Attachments

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Nope, we tour two up so every inch of space counts, we always do hotels and our panniers spend all their time in our hotel room from book in to book out, works great for us

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have Honda liners for the ST and like them a lot. It limits the spill when opening the panniers. I second not dragging in heavier wet dirty panniers into any accommodations. The Honda bags have the extra pocket that fits into the recess of the bike side of the bags. This increases the capacity of the bags a bit.

They can be installed in the opposite panniers to give quick access to small bits if max carrying capacity isn't needed. This is handy for me as I don't have a top box and if not carrying a day bag on the rack.

I don't use them on day trips/lunch rides though. I have nets installed on all four sides of the panniers to keep the bigger bits in place.

Bike
Honda St1100
Hi guys,

I thought about buying inner side bags for my ST1100.
Noticed that on eBay there is more choice for ST1300 than ST1100.

One auction listing is for side bags that supposed to fit ST1100 and ST1300.

When looking at pictures of both bikes it doesn't look like side panniers have exactly this same shape.
Wondering if it's a mistake or they really fit both bikes?
If that's the case I would shop for ST1300 version since it's more of them to choose from and they seem to be cheaper also.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Mariusz

Bike
R1200rt
When looking at pictures of both bikes it doesn't look like side panniers have exactly this same shape.
If that's the case I would shop for ST1300 version since it's more of them to choose from and they seem to be cheaper also.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Mariusz
read description
  • "Universal form fits side cases from various brands e.g. Givi, SW-Motech, Kappa, Hepco Becker, SHAD and OEM side cases"
  • I'm sure you can stuff them in there, if they don't fit take some stuff out.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Hi guys,

I thought about buying inner side bags for my ST1100.
Noticed that on eBay there is more choice for ST1300 than ST1100.

One auction listing is for side bags that supposed to fit ST1100 and ST1300.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Mariusz
For purchase in the UK. Bought these for my 1100s. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291243560223?hash=item43cf780d1f:g:qbwAAOSwPe1UFuPP

Nice quality, zip both sides (much easier for getting to things without disturbing the whole bag) fit nicely into the pannier. I use a Givi top box and bought the Givi bag for that. https://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/shop/givi-t502b-universal-inner-bag-for-large-top-boxes/

As others have said, it's much easier when going into hotels etc with these, rather than the whole pannier/top box, lighter too :rolleyes:

Bike
Honda St1100
For purchase in the UK. Bought these for my 1100s. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291243560223?hash=item43cf780d1f:g:qbwAAOSwPe1UFuPP

Nice quality, zip both sides (much easier for getting to things without disturbing the whole bag) fit nicely into the pannier. I use a Givi top box and bought the Givi bag for that. https://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/shop/givi-t502b-universal-inner-bag-for-large-top-boxes/

As others have said, it's much easier when going into hotels etc with these, rather than the whole pannier/top box, lighter too :rolleyes:
Thank you very much. I had an eye on them also but didn't know how good they are.
Just purchased after your recommendation.

Safe ride and all the best!

Top Bottom