Parking lot practice

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I cannot imagine being able to turn inside two spaces but that's the goal!
Try seeing how slowly you can make controlled turns, not how quickly. Remember that, like a car (but to a much greater degree because of the shorter wheelbase), the bike's front wheel rotates faster than the rear wheel.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keep practicing steady at it and you'll be able to turn inside of two spaces before you know it. It only takes a few minutes a day.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
U-turns and Figure 8's:
My experience, both as a rider and as a RiderCoach - head turn is the most crucial, once we assume you are actually turning the bars. Counterweighting (shifting your butt and body weight to the outside of your turn) is an option, but not a requirement.
The head turn MUST be exaggerated - you are, in fact, looking back over your shoulder, to where YOU WANT to go. Many riders simply do not turn their head enough. You *think* you are, but you're not.
The painted parking lot spaces is a good way to start, as there are no cones to run over, and it's no biggie if you stray over the lines. So long as the parking spaces are EMPTY, ok?
Through all the years, and all the bikes, consistent success with THIS maneuver is my confirmation to myself that I can really control the bike. Still, the sheer weight of the ST13 seems to have made this bike more of a challenge at super-slow speeds, than any of my others.
But outside of actual stunting, when I see others deftly pushing this bike to quick turns and high lean angles, I know I can do it as well.
Most motorcycles will perform at much, much higher levels than the average rider is comfortable. Especially this ST, as finely balanced and smooth as it is.
Head turn, handlebar turn. You can do this!!
EDIT: sorry, one last thing - RELAX your arms and shoulders and upper body. You have no idea how much harder it is, when you're tense and white-knuckling the grips. Keep trying; some get it quicker than others.
And you can do this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom