Parkinson's

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hello all fellow ST riders. This is the worst thing to happen to me as I have always been an avid motorcycle rider, be it dirt, street, touring, racing competitively. So now I have had to make the hardest decision in my life, since I can no longer ride my ST and that is of course to sell it. Look for a post after I have been approved for all the details. Thanks, Dave

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Parkinson’s, MS, have good days and bad days…..Music and dancing are said to help. I dance and sing with my motorbike, but not sure for how much longer.
Dave, you’re in for an interesting journey, embrace the good times as best you can, sing loudly, dance like no one is watching, embrace your fine memories of riding.
All the best as you navigate through the disease.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Sorry to hear- I assume you’ve researched some medication to keep the symptoms in check. I agree being up on 2 wheels may not be best (for safety reasons), but how about 3, as in trike or CanAm Spyder?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Sorry to hear this, it strikes close to home for me.
This recently happened to my riding buddy. A diagnosis at age 70, and 10 months after he had just bought a brand new BMW 800.
Find something, maybe bike related, to keep you centered.
You are not alone.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Recently I have had two relatives and a longtime friend with Parkinson’s and the one thing I have learned is that it seems different for everyone. Our friend was diagnosed almost 10 years ago and it hasn’t noticeably progressed, let’s hope that is how your body handles it.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Had an OTJ accident in 2011 that left me with constant vertigo. I had to give up riding a few months later after I went through a long set of sweepers that left me feeling like I was on the gyroscopic trainer at NASA. Nothing helped. I went ten years without a bike. Giving it up was as you said "the hardest decision in my life".
I'm 100% with all of those that say get a Can-Am; with the caveat that you talk to your neurologist first. I got extremely lucky. I took a blow to the head two years ago (It was a fall and blow to the head that gave me vertigo) and within a couple of weeks, the vertigo was gone.
There are always options, until there are none left...
We're here if you need us...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hello all fellow ST riders. This is the worst thing to happen to me as I have always been an avid motorcycle rider, be it dirt, street, touring, racing competitively. So now I have had to make the hardest decision in my life, since I can no longer ride my ST and that is of course to sell it. Look for a post after I have been approved for all the details. Thanks, Dave
Dave, so saddened to hear that. My father-in-law was afflicted with Parkinson's for about the last five years of his life.

If you have children, or grandchildren, ask them to spend time with you recording some memoirs - audio and/or video.

It's not my intention to scare you, but my FIL's verbal intercourse became very terse in his later years until he passed in April.

Anthony interviewed grandpa for a school project in middle school. I tracked down the recording and it has become a treasure for the whole family. We missed hearing this amazing man, and the recording provided a small solace.

Here's a link to a resource on Ancestry.com to start you off.

<BIG hugs>

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Sorry to hear this.
A fellow bicycle shop owner noted that practicingTai Chi slowed down the progression of his Parkinson’s symptoms. He was also getting active with all things that were put off, especially sailing.

OP
OP
ST Rebel Dave
Bike
2007 ST1300
Dave, so saddened to hear that. My father-in-law was afflicted with Parkinson's for about the last five years of his life.

If you have children, or grandchildren, ask them to spend time with you recording some memoirs - audio and/or video.

It's not my intention to scare you, but my FIL's verbal intercourse became very terse in his later years until he passed in April.

Anthony interviewed grandpa for a school project in middle school. I tracked down the recording and it has become a treasure for the whole family. We missed hearing this amazing man, and the recording provided a small solace.

<BIG hugs>
Thanks for your words of wisdom too, unfortunately I have developed dementia as well, so no more riding for me Period! It is hard to except.

OP
OP
ST Rebel Dave
Bike
2007 ST1300

<BIG hugs>
Yep it sure is. I have ridden bikes all my life, dirt, street, competition, it hurts. I have now added dementia to my illness so that's it sadly for me. If you know anyone interested please see my post for sale.

Top Bottom