Passenger back rest

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
When I bought my bike, it had a backrest attached to the back (passenger) seat. Only it was attached with two sheet metal screws into the plastic. First, is this the OEM backrest? And second, is this the correct way to attach it? It does not look or feel secure.

IMG_2671.JPG

Here it is upside down showing how it was attached.
IMG_2670.JPG

OP
OP
VetteJim

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yeah I just now looked up the seat diagram on partzilla.com and no backrest. Well, I have been eying up the Corbin ....

Reactions: Obo
Hey all. New to the forum. I’m looking for a pillion backrest as well. I just picked up a 2003 ST with 70,000km pretty cheap. My wife really liked our Golding (previous bike) but I was looking for something a bit less “car like”. I’d settle for a top case or back rest as long as it’s fairly comfy for longer rides.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Everything I’ve found so far is from overseas and may not even be available. I’m in Canada so that makes the search even more difficult!

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
When I bought my bike, it had a backrest attached to the back (passenger) seat. Only it was attached with two sheet metal screws into the plastic. First, is this the OEM backrest? And second, is this the correct way to attach it? It does not look or feel secure.

IMG_2671.JPG

Here it is upside down showing how it was attached.
IMG_2670.JPG
That is the "grasshopper" it goes on the front seat using stock bolts. Maybe, big maybe, if you slice a little of the bottom of the seat and slid in a piece of steel stock or aluminum you could secure it, I'm not condoning this, all the passenger backrests I've seen on stock bikes have been bolted to the rear rack.

IMG_2670.JPG

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Hey all. New to the forum. I’m looking for a pillion backrest as well. I just picked up a 2003 ST with 70,000km pretty cheap. My wife really liked our Golding (previous bike) but I was looking for something a bit less “car like”. I’d settle for a top case or back rest as long as it’s fairly comfy for longer rides.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Everything I’ve found so far is from overseas and may not even be available. I’m in Canada so that makes the search even more difficult!
GIVI or Shad make nice boxes with pads (amazon). If you can find an OEM that works too, though unless it's black you may need to paint it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I’m looking for something a bit bigger with a bit more support. I’ve seen a tour pack with small arm rests that I’d really like but can’t seem to find one anywhere.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I’ve seen a tour pack with small arm rests that I’d really like but can’t seem to find one anywhere.
It was probably the Honda OEM ST1300 top case- see the below photo. It was never made available in North America so there aren't many around, but they do come up for sale now and then.

Attachments

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
GIVI or Shad make nice boxes with pads (amazon). If you can find an OEM that works too, though unless it's black you may need to paint it.
The problem with Shad is that the adapter plate to mount thd top box bracket to the OEM rack is almost impossible to get new these days. I found one last year on ebay from Europe. It's not a big deal, however to fabricate on from a piece of sheet metal.
I think Givi still has.'em:

@RichKat got one off amazon for pretty cheap. You can see it here:

Having a top box is a great addition for the missus and is for her, I think, a better option than a simple back rest. Makes her feel more secure. I have a Shad SH50 and Sh58X and she hasn't complained about either. :D

Top Bottom