Pearl Harbor Day - December 7, 1941

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I find it sad that not much was said in the media about today - the day Pearl Harbor was attacked.
It was dark day but thankfully for us this country rose above it.
The attack killed 2,403 U.S. personnel, including 68 civilians, and destroyed or damaged 19 U.S. Navy ships, including 8 battleships.
God rest those who gave all on that somber day.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for posting this UP!

I said something about in the morning coffee thread.

I've been at the Arizona Memorial twice, once back in 1968 and again in 2014. What is impressive now, is the Missouri sitting just a short ways from it!

DSC02218.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

DSC02220.JPG

:usflag1:

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The couple of local radio stations I listen to gave more than a brief mention, including several interviews of survivors. There are only 5 or 6 alive today, the oldest being 103 years old, who traveled as he does every year to the site on this day.
That day changed the world, as few others have.
But it's also how we know that no one has yet invented a functional time machine.... because that horrific day and the ensuing tragic years, are still in our past.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I did not see this yesterday as well. Similar to what TourNut stated, my dad was there some time after the attack and was a Marine Aviator. I was stationed there in 1973 when I was station on the USSN Patrick Henry. The Henry was based out of Guam and the off crews (I was Blue Crew) were placed in Hawaii. So, I got to reside, for a couple of months, in the Barracks on Ford Island. I traveled around the island a couple of times, just to see what was there. And each time we went to Oahu and Honolulu we would take a small boat which was docked right there near the Arizona Memorial.

In my tours around Ford Island I noted several wrecks that were results of the Japanese attacks on December 7, 1941.

The Arizona Memorial.
Slides_004.jpg

The Utah Memoral

Slides_011.jpg

And I think this the view of the flag on the Arizona Memorial from the barracks I stayed in on Ford Island. All pictures are from the Spring - Summer of 1973.

Slides_003.jpg

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
You are correct Phil, sad. Shameful if I may. My father in law passed 10yrs ago, he was at Pearl Harbor the day of the attack. Spent 30yrs in the Naval Reserves after the war. He was successful in life but carried that horrible event with him his entire life. And we should, I know I do, give thanks at least in our hearts daily to those who have sacrificed. I spent 9 1/2 yrs in the Army, and am often thanked for my service, but have some guilt for I know I did not sacrifice during my service as many have and do not deserve to stand in the ranks with those so much more deserving then I. Much can be done between now and Dec 7 2024 to change the direction and mood of the nation, pray we have the courage to recognize our obligation to those who have given all for the freedoms we enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I could not find the quote, but IIRC, one of the Founding Fathers made an observation that goes sort of like this -

"If we stop teaching history in the education process, the generations that follow us will not know of or appreciate the sacrifices that were made for the freedoms that they enjoy."

It appears today's students are taught 'current events' instead of history and we are unfortunately at the place that they described.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
The problem is Phil, many younger people don't know that they should learn from both the good AND the bad side of history... they would rather erase history, or simply ignore it.

Although I am not a US citizen, I would struggle to forget what 7th December means to so many.... it's my birthday, although a number of years after Pearl Harbour.....

Over the last few years myself and some friends have gone on battlefield tours in Europe, Operation Market Garden, the 1940 invasion of France and Belgium, D-Day preparations and so on....

I would encourage anyone who is able to visit some of those sites, such as Pearl Harbour, or in Europe the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries and the Menin Gate at Ypres to pay their respects and perhaps gain a greater understanding of the level of sacrifice made by those who gave their all for our freedoms.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
The problem is Phil, many younger people don't know that they should learn from both the good AND the bad side of history... they would rather erase history, or simply ignore it.

Although I am not a US citizen, I would struggle to forget what 7th December means to so many.... it's my birthday, although a number of years after Pearl Harbour.....

Over the last few years myself and some friends have gone on battlefield tours in Europe, Operation Market Garden, the 1940 invasion of France and Belgium, D-Day preparations and so on....

I would encourage anyone who is able to visit some of those sites, such as Pearl Harbour, or in Europe the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries and the Menin Gate at Ypres to pay their respects and perhaps gain a greater understanding of the level of sacrifice made by those who gave their all for our freedoms.
Personally, I will never forget those that gave. I owe my life to them.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The problem is Phil, many younger people don't know that they should learn from both the good AND the bad side of history... they would rather erase REWRITE history, or simply ignore it.
There, fixed it for you! :biggrin:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Simply they just don't care. Personally when I hear people bad mouthing this country I correct the hell out of them with an education about the freedoms they enjoy here in the USA . I have told many that if they don't like it here they also have the freedom to leave:)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Simply they just don't care. Personally when I hear people bad mouthing this country I correct the hell out of them with an education about the freedoms they enjoy here in the USA . I have told many that if they don't like it here they also have the freedom to leave:)
Like it or not, the right to criticize one's own country and one's government is one of those freedoms. The ability to criticize the actions of one's government without retribution from that government is one of the best tests of said freedom.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This right to criticize can and has led to positive changes that made and make this country even better.

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

There are countries where criticism isn't allowed and those who speak out violate their rule of law and pay a heavy price. That's not what I'd want for this country.

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

It bears repeating because it's forgotten too often. It wasn't specifically in the oath we swore or swear but its spirit is at the core of that oath.

History is being rewritten. The rewrites omit or spin historical events that we should be aware of. Revisionist history isn't new but it isn't history. It's insidious because:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

This isn't young people doing this - not en masse. Yeah some are younger than some of us. But it's not "these kids today" that's the problem. We also have to remember who is teaching those kids. Teach your children well doesn't have quite the gravitas of the previous quotes but there's no small truth to it.

Now get the hell off my lawn.

Top Bottom