picked up a triumph

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I was at a stop light someplace around Woodstock NY. I looked in the parking lot next to me and saw a young guy trying to pick his bike up. I pulled in and parked my bike next to it. It was laying on the right side. First thing I did was put his side stand down. Then walked over to the other side and backed up to the seat with the bars turned fully right and my other hand on the grab bar. It came up really easy. He was trying to lift it from the other side. He said "wow that was easy you must have done this before"? I said "yeah a few times". Only damage he had was scratches on the saddle bag and mirror. Also cracked the turn signal lens on the front. Nice looking bike, Triumph Trophy. It felt a lot lighter than my ST.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I get a kick out of the people who say the ST doesn't weigh much once it's moving.

Thinking back, every time I had to pick mine up it was stopped...

How many humans did it take to get that heavy pig out of the mud? :)

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
How many humans did it take to get that heavy pig out of the mud? :)
I don't know what percentage human they were, but it took four south Georgia lumberjacks. I told them we could attach a strap and pull it out of the ditch backwards and one if them said that would scratch it all up that they would pick it up and set it out. I said "that pig weighs over 700 pounds!". He smiled and said "so do we" and pick it up is what they did. Two on front and two on back - off the ground and out of the ditch it arose.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I don't know what percentage human they were, but it took four south Georgia lumberjacks. I told them we could attach a strap and pull it out of the ditch backwards and one if them said that would scratch it all up that they would pick it up and set it out. I said "that pig weighs over 700 pounds!". He smiled and said "so do we" and pick it up is what they did. Two on front and two on back - off the ground and out of the ditch it arose.
Wow.....I was wondering how big some guys would have to be to lug that heavy thing out! Imagine if they weren't around to help? There needs to be a reverse option installed on these mini transports! :)

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
700 lb. / 4 = 175 lb. per man. That's still quite the feat! o_O
These guys were about 250# each. There was more strain in my face watching them than in theirs for doing it. Looked like me moving a lawn chair. Their boss found me on the side of the road trying to tell AAA where to come retrieve me and he took me back to the scene to look it over. He said two of his men were at a deer camp on his property so we went by and retrieved them. Then he called another two of his employees (who were brothers) and they met us there. After the extraction I followed the boss back to his shop and hosed off the caked up mud in the fenderwells. I owe them all. I do not owe Garmin - who told me the road was paved. There were recent heavy rains and the road was total soup.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
...as the old hot-rod saying goes...There is no substitute for cubic inches.

My tipover / drop with my now-sold 2007 ST1300 came on a narrow two laner when I saw something interesting beside the road and tried to do a U-turn utilizing a small portion of what appeared to be a good firm road shoulder. In fact, it was very loose sand and as soon as my front wheel touched it, it slid sideways and the bike gently laid down like a tired puppy dog.

The harder I tried to lift it (and yes, I was using the bum against the seat technique), the further off the road it slid.

Finally, some big boys on the porch of a nearby farmhouse came over and helped me - but it sure felt like I'd be there now without their assistance.

Top Bottom