Picked Up The New Steed Today

Bike
2007 ST1300
This is especially interesting to me because just three weeks ago I traded a 2011 KLR I'd had for 9 years for the ST I have now. I definitely know the appeal, I bought mine because I wanted to do more off-road exploration and it filled that role well during the time I had it. I called it "the tractor", because I would get myself into all sorts of gnarly situations, and I could just drop it into 1st gear and it would simply plow through or over whatever was in my way. Loved that bike. My advice: Armor. For the bike and yourself, because you're going to drop it a lot and probably crash it a few times too. I'm not saying that as a "you don't have the skills" sort of take, I'm just saying it goes with the territory. Barkbusters, metal engine guard, front and rear crash bars for the bike. Motocross or "adventure" boots, thick gloves, and some knee and torso/shoulder protection for yourself. The worst injury I had was hitting some mud on otherwise solid ground through a curve in a trail, I went down at about 20MPH and messed up my knee badly. It really sucked picking that pig back up after that one. Some other incidents resulted in sprained ankles, wrists, cuts and bruises, and back injuries (I have a bad back though). Oh and speaking as someone who put basically every mod there is on my KLR, resist the urge to change the exhaust. You won't get more power, it just makes it louder. And the stock "stealth" exhaust comes in handy when you're exploring, doesn't draw attention.

Anyway, congrats on the bike! I'd like to try one of those current-gen fuel injected models sometime. I had to clean the carb on mine so many times I got absolutely sick of it! I have to ask though, why not just keep both? KLR for exploring, ST for long distance. If I had the option, that's what I would have done.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Thanks for the advice. I am already looking at all those things you mentioned. From the waist up I'm pretty well armored. I need to find something a bit better for below the waist. I have been wearing CE-rated knee and shin guards, but have nothing for the hips and thighs. I need new boots also. Won't be touching the exhaust. The gen3 KLRs have a closed loop fuel injected system with a catalyst, o2 sensor, MAF sensor, the requisite fuel maps, etc. Not going to do anything to upset the balance. It runs well enough for me stock.

I would like to keep the ST, but it just would not get ridden that often.

EDIT: I had planned on buying a KLR and lowering it since I have a short inseam. Then I discovered Kawasaki had an "S" version which is a lower version of the regular KLR, with the suspension shortened and tuned for the reduced travel. They also gave it a thinner seat but used different density foam to compensate for the reduced thickness. This resulted in a bike with a 2.2 inch lower seat height while taking only one inch off the ground clearance.

BTW, Kawasaki currently has a $1000 incentive on the KLR650 that expires at the end of this month. They also give an additional $250 discount to veterans.

This is especially interesting to me because just three weeks ago I traded a 2011 KLR I'd had for 9 years for the ST I have now. I definitely know the appeal, I bought mine because I wanted to do more off-road exploration and it filled that role well during the time I had it. I called it "the tractor", because I would get myself into all sorts of gnarly situations, and I could just drop it into 1st gear and it would simply plow through or over whatever was in my way. Loved that bike. My advice: Armor. For the bike and yourself, because you're going to drop it a lot and probably crash it a few times too. I'm not saying that as a "you don't have the skills" sort of take, I'm just saying it goes with the territory. Barkbusters, metal engine guard, front and rear crash bars for the bike. Motocross or "adventure" boots, thick gloves, and some knee and torso/shoulder protection for yourself. The worst injury I had was hitting some mud on otherwise solid ground through a curve in a trail, I went down at about 20MPH and messed up my knee badly. It really sucked picking that pig back up after that one. Some other incidents resulted in sprained ankles, wrists, cuts and bruises, and back injuries (I have a bad back though). Oh and speaking as someone who put basically every mod there is on my KLR, resist the urge to change the exhaust. You won't get more power, it just makes it louder. And the stock "stealth" exhaust comes in handy when you're exploring, doesn't draw attention.

Anyway, congrats on the bike! I'd like to try one of those current-gen fuel injected models sometime. I had to clean the carb on mine so many times I got absolutely sick of it! I have to ask though, why not just keep both? KLR for exploring, ST for long distance. If I had the option, that's what I would have done.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
Oh yeah, I forgot that all of the mods are going to be different now, with the new model and fuel injection. I bet they took care of many of the common gripes with that update, though I wonder if the "dohickey" has finally been addressed. That's pretty cool that they offer a lowered option from the factory now. I saw a lot of folks doing lowering mods on their previous gen bikes and wondered if it would adversely affect the suspension. Good that there's an "official" version of that now. I'm jealous of you folks in Colorado with your public land to offroad on, you're going to have a blast. Here in TX, there is only one designated area like that and it's way out in nowhere.

Here are the two best sites for upgrades/parts if you haven't seen them yet. I don't think anyone has crashbars for the new model yet, but they should be coming soon.

Might want to hang onto the ST for a while, just in case you change your mind ;)

Reactions: jrp
Top Bottom