Pilot Road 2 report

dparker182

Doug Parker
I now have 8200 miles on the PR2 & the back is just barely above the wear bars. Will replace them in next few hundred miles. The front has good tread remaining but is starting to cup - between those wide curve treads it rises & falls - not bad though. The cupping isn't as bad as the OEM. Mileage was approximately half & half back roads & major highways & I checked pressure often & kept at 40 (or pretty close). Riding 1 up all the time.
I'm rerplacing with Roadsmarts.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
So what is your opinion of the PR2s. Would you buy them again. Are they worth the money. How did they ride and handle. Have you used anything else.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for the report and +1 on your opinion..

I ordered my first set of PR2's this morning.

I have had 4 (or 5 can't remember) sets of PRs and I have been pretty please with them. I get north of 10K for mileage, do not check my air pressure as much as I should and ride fairly aggressively. I have quiet a few highway miles on each pair. I love how they are in the rain as well.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
I have the same mileage on mine and the back is about 1/2 way to the wear bar and the front is even better. I'm really impressed with these tires, and will continue to use them until something better comes along.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have the same mileage on mine and the back is about 1/2 way to the wear bar and the front is even better. I'm really impressed with these tires, and will continue to use them until something better comes along.
Are you talking about PR's or PR2's. How are they bejind trucks and in strong winds.

Krynn

Mana-mana, doo doo da-do-doo!
My bike's wearing a set of PR2's, and I get a little wobble when I'm coming up to a panel truck or an 18-wheeler and they're going 70mph or above. It's just a tiny little buffeting though, not even enough to really pay attention to. No where near as bad as I've had in the past.

pilot roads were the worst of all.pr2's handle well, not as good as avon storms. all us guys in the carolinas get 5000 to 6000 on a set nomatter which tire we run so all this crap about 10g or so is ludicrous to us.I suppose our roads are different or your really not having that much fun on you st.

STOC #
yesterday I replaced the first set of pr2's (12,000 miles) with a new set. the first set made a trip to westoc, camping along the way. put 9400 miles on, overloaded with camping gear and 5 days of 100 degrees or better and the tires handled great. I'm sold

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
pilot roads were the worst of all.pr2's handle well, not as good as avon storms. all us guys in the carolinas get 5000 to 6000 on a set nomatter which tire we run so all this crap about 10g or so is ludicrous to us.I suppose our roads are different or your really not having that much fun on you st.
I have 8,000 miles on my Storms now and have at least another 2 to 4,000 left on them. I love the way they handle off of the supeslab. Not so happy with them on the superslab. Unfortunately we don't have the roads you have there. It's at least a 300 mile trip to NW Arkansas to get to any good roads. 700 miles to colorado,900 miles to Deals gap. So we have to do alot of superslab to get to any good roads. So We have to do a lot of touring before we get to do any sport riding. And I enjoy any time I can get in the saddle. No matter were I'm at. Thats why I bought a Sport touring bike. So I'm looking for what is going to work best for me as well.

Bike
06 ST1300
so not to start another tread on best tire but I am looking now and was pretty close to buying th PR2 i like how it looks but is there a better tire? I have the PR on my rear right now and i like how it handles but not look wise, what do you guys think

Bike
2005 ST1300
Nice thing about tires is that if you don't like 'em, ride them for 5 to 10K until they're dead and change brands and try something different. Heck there is such a small selection it wont be long until you find the one you like.

Thats why I stayed with PRs...It will interesting to so how the PR2s measure up...If they don't then they are gone and I'll try Storms...easy

Krynn

Mana-mana, doo doo da-do-doo!
I dunno... I guess as long as my tire doesn't have whitewalls and the tread pattern doesn't look like a Hello Kitty cutout, I could care less what my tire looks like. I certainly can't see it from the saddle! :D

I guess all that really concerns me is how well the tire performs and how well it holds up. The PR2 does the first very well, and I'll let you know in another few months how it does the second.

-Scott

Bike
06 ST1300
i guess i agree I really care more about performance than looks but look do play a small part,

Top Bottom