Pilot Road 2 Review (9K)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
First all I want to say that everyones take on a tire will be different and remember when you read my review, that it is JUST MY OPINION.

I got 9K out of my set of Pilot Road 2's. Ever since I first mounted them the bike did seem to move around just alittle on the raod. I don't know if the dual compound design had something to do with that or not. The tires did stick to the road in all weather and no problem with tare snakes either. I would say it was about half and half on miles between interstate and twisties. The center of tire still has life, and so does the outside edge. The area between is gone. It looks like a tire that was run for about a 1,000 miles with half the PSI. I ran them at 42 and keep a good eye on them, so that was not what happened. Another thing is that these tires due hum! Not when you are vertical to the road, but when you start to lean over some you can hear the hum. Also when they hum I could feel a vibration from the tires.

Overall I think I got decent mileage for my riding style, but I did like the original Pilot Roads better and think I will try the Avon Storms this time around.

Once again I know others will have a different take, but this is what I found. I may go back to them after the Storms if they are not better.

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Thanks for the write up. I went with the Storms about 1000 miles ago. I had PR's before. I too am not an expert so when I say so far there does not seem to be too much differance that is my opinion. I got right at 10,000 out of the PR's and will give the Stormas a good work out starting on Thursday when I leave for Colorado and 6 days of mountain twisties once there.

Kevin

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Thanks Landon!! I've been wondering about the PR2's. I've got a set of Storms on now after several sets of PR's and it's kind of nice to have tires that know the words and do not hum. LOL!!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I just put 5,200 miles on a new set of PR2's. I rode interstate from NC to UT solo and fully loaded. I picked up my wife in Denver and put about half of those miles 2 up and fully loaded. The tread still looks like it has more than 1/2 left and the handling is very good. I see no signs of "cupping" and they run very quietly. I keep them at 42 psi and check them daily. I hope I get at least 10K out of them.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Something we find at our shop some tires fit certain people, this is also true to the bike.

Honda Valkyries love Avon
Sportbikes love Michelin
Kawaski VN2000 loves Bridgestone
Harley riders love anything the Motor company tells them what they think is best.

Its like ice cream if you don't like chocolate then get vanilla.

I love the PR2's but his riding style may be different. Thats why you need to change up and try something different.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
I'm very happy with my PR2's. From they way they look now, they are probably good for 12K. They currently have over 8k on them and do not show that much wear. No cupping nothing other than normal wear. They are by far the best tires I've had yet. I was changing the Stones at about 8500 - 8800 miles. Until something better comes along, the PR2's are it for me.

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
First all I want to say that everyones take on a tire will be different and remember when you read my review, that it is JUST MY OPINION.

Once again I know others will have a different take, but this is what I found. I may go back to them after the Storms if they are not better.
Hey Landon,
Thanks for the writeup! I have just mounted a set of the PR2s on my bike, about 500 miles so far.

The nice things about an "opinion" is we can both be right :)

I am getting ready to head out on a 2000+ mile trip, and that should shake out most of the tire issues. I did notice the tire moving around a little on grooved pavement, but so far that has been it. I really like the way the tire tracks in the corners and holds a line, with Storms...I always felt I was "holding the bike up" in a corner....the Storms seemed like they always wanted to turn a little harder.

One thing I will say, in the wet...these are AMAZING!!!! I was on the way to meet JD McCutchen yesterday, and I got caught in a NASTY gullywashing downpour!!! I figured it was OK since if my gear did not hold up, I would have a couple days to regear.

The water was Pouring thru the dash, cars were pulling over, the rain was hitting the helmet so hard the VOX was full on.....my boots had water hammering off them.....I got a little scared for a few minutes......pulled over and realised....I was fine so I continued on. I was VERY impressed with the way the bike was stuck to the road in water 1" to 2" deep.

Just my take at this moment.....I am going to be looking for the hum and vibration as I wear the tires in. And in the end, I hope this tire will wear long enough to make the price premium worth it.

Rich

STOC #
Hey Landon,
One thing I will say, in the wet...these are AMAZING!!!! I was on the way to meet JD McCutchen yesterday, and I got caught in a NASTY gullywashing downpour!!! I figured it was OK since if my gear did not hold up, I would have a couple days to regear.

The water was Pouring thru the dash, cars were pulling over, the rain was hitting the helmet so hard the VOX was full on.....my boots had water hammering off them.....I got a little scared for a few minutes......pulled over and realised....I was fine so I continued on. I was VERY impressed with the way the bike was stuck to the road in water 1" to 2" deep.

Rich
I have to admit you gave new meaning to the term "drowned rat". ROTFLMAO

I still laugh at you reaching your hand up and water just flings off the end of your hand. Too damn funny, it reminds me of a ride last fall with Guy.

With that in mind, I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you because I know what it feels like.

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
I have to admit you gave new meaning to the term "drowned rat". ROTFLMAO

I still laugh at you reaching your hand up and water just flings off the end of your hand. Too damn funny, it reminds me of a ride last fall with Guy.

With that in mind, I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you because I know what it feels like.

Ah Hell Jeremy...........You can just flat out laugh at me :) :06biker:

I drove the car to work this morning, and had the same visions of that ride.....all I can say is, it is nice to have good gear :)

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the stock style Bridgestones and , although I have Storms on the way, I have not tested/used the Storms or PR's at all. But here is something to think about. I was given a price of $262 for the Storms out of the door installed. PR's were $335 (I think) out the door installed. The parts guy wanted to sell me the PR's due to higher milage .... worth it in the long run?

Storms......8600 miles divided by 262 is 32.8 miles per dollar.

PR's..........11000 miles divided by 334 is 32.9 miles per dollar.

Given, the milages are average from what people are reporting and the PR's price may be off a bit, but not much. Your personal liking to the ride of the tires should decide not the cost or savings based on milage of the tires.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
$262 for the Storms out of the door installed sounds like a hell of a good price to me...
dduelin pointed me to the Honda of Jacksonville dealer in....yep, Jacksonville. Price of the tires, mounting is free. But I am sure that they hope you will have some issues or other things you would like done while there, like shop.

Top Bottom