Pilot Roads Tire Pressure for ST1300..

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
trueblu said:
What is the best tire pressure for Pilot Roads. Found an ST1300 tire pressure specification of 42/42 PSI. Is this good for these tires. Do you run different pressure when touring fully loaded with gear?
Honda do recommend 42lbs for front and back, no different in my manual for fully laden machines

STOC #
Just mounted mine Friday with 42/42. So far so good. I like them better than the Bridgestones. I'll have to see how well they hold up. I got 12000 out of the Stones so if these come near that I'll be pleased.

So what kind of mileage are we seeing out of the Pilots?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I run 42 and 42. The parts manager at the shop where I take my bike rides an ST and he swears by running them at 46 and 46. I don't share his feelings on it but I thought I would share them here for anyone that's wants a different opinion.

Curt

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
crazykz said:
I run 42 and 42. The parts manager at the shop where I take my bike rides an ST and he swears by running them at 46 and 46. I don't share his feelings on it but I thought I would share them here for anyone that's wants a different opinion.

Curt
FWIW, Sto from Motorace (who supplied PR's to Curt and me for testing) recommended 38/38. I tried that but went back to 42/42.

I have more than 5000 miles on mine and they have lots of useful tread left. They should easily outlast the Metzeler Z6s I ran last time, and should be at least on par for life with the Bridgestones it came with new. The 'stones were too twitchy for my taste...the PRs have much more consistent turn in.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
What is the best tire pressure for Pilot Roads. Found an ST1300 tire pressure specification of 42/42 PSI. Is this good for these tires. Do you run different pressure when touring fully loaded with gear?
Just mounted new PR4s. Feels good running 42/42 psi. May drop a few psi when weather gets warmer. Beats the heck out of my old Bridgestones. Will check in later after some more miles.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Sounds to me like the 42's have it.:rofl1:
My understanding of appropriate tire pressure is that it's based on the weight that they need to carry. Even for a car, they often have 2 different recommended pressures depending on whether or not the vehicle is is loaded or not.

If the weight of the vehicle is a determining factor (and I assume it is), the 42 PSI is a starting point for typical conditions. When I have a passenger and luggage, I add a little more air (about 45 PSI) because that makes sense to me. I'm sure I'd be fine with 42 PSI, but a few more pounds of pressure may give me longer tire life when loaded and I doubt if it could hurt.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
After having a rear PR3 fall apart on me one hot day enjoying US12, I run 44 on the rear and use a high quality gauge, our bike is always two up, no problem since

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
My understanding of appropriate tire pressure is that it's based on the weight that they need to carry. Even for a car, they often have 2 different recommended pressures depending on whether or not the vehicle is is loaded or not.

If the weight of the vehicle is a determining factor (and I assume it is), the 42 PSI is a starting point for typical conditions. When I have a passenger and luggage, I add a little more air (about 45 PSI) because that makes sense to me. I'm sure I'd be fine with 42 PSI, but a few more pounds of pressure may give me longer tire life when loaded and I doubt if it could hurt.
There is a LOT I don't know about tires. The tire pressure in a bike tire has a big role in the size of the contact patch. And I've not seen anything about changing the tire pressure for a heavily loaded bike. What you say makes sense, but I'd do some research before I added more than a pound or two.

Top Bottom