Pilot Roads Tire Pressure for ST1300..

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hope you had a great day back in the Saddle again! I endorse 42 psi x2 also. Just about to go the latest Michelins (5s). Hoping to get the same or better mileage/traction as I got out of the 4s. (10k +)

When you ride on hot tarmack with a rider and gear 42cold translates to 45-6 @run.Volume expansion and load are all averaged in/might consider nitrogen fill for less variation then add or subtract 1-2 psi to taste. When I raced different compounds ran better at different psi based on surface temp / never had cargo in the math. That being said 2 psi is a huge difference...just sayin.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My ST on Bridgestone T31 GTs a cold 42 psi would routinely exceed 50 psi hot solo riding no cargo. Ambient temps 90F+ on sunny roads. I had to keep raising the high temp warning until finally 51.5 psi.

Bike
ST1300 & Rune
Im about to replace my 1ST set of Michelin Pilot Road 4GT's with a set of PR 5GT's on my ST1300..got 8K (1 UP) out if them the front went first the rear has some life but I'm sure will start the fade quickly to and I only changed my tires out in pairs ..overall love the tire I was running Dunlaps Road Runners 1..2..3's before I switched over to the Michelin.. I couldn't get more than about 5k maybe 5.5k miles out of the Roadrunners at best... I was told by the Dunlap rep that they're aware that these tires just don't last on the ST 1300's & said it's the heaviest sport tour bike out there..another word it is what it is hence my switch to the Michelin... the tires are incredible especially running in the wet.. I keep them aired up at 42 front and rear.

Reactions: ATA

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I run 42 and 42. The parts manager at the shop where I take my bike rides an ST and he swears by running them at 46 and 46. I don't share his feelings on it but I thought I would share them here for anyone that's wants a different opinion.

Curt
That's one shop that I don't think I would trust working on your bike :rolleyes:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's one shop that I don't think I would trust working on your bike :rolleyes:
I wouldn’t worry about that.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
These are "discussion forums". That's what everyone does here and if reviving an old thread floats someones boat, who cares?
I don't have an issue with it, I was just noting how many people had suddenly gotten involved in a 14-year old thread. I thought it was interesting.

Bike
ST-1300a
GoodDay All.
I just changed my rear Shinko Verge. To the same again. End of season sale and the front Verge was still ok.
The old rear that I thought I was being religious about keeping at 42lb had 45* angle "flats" on both sides. The flats occur just where you image the contact patch is in a turn. The centre 3.5 inches was rounded as you would expect. But, on both sides of that centre were the 1.5 inch flat areas. ( Can't call them spots because the go all the way around the tire. )
Can anyone tell me what went wrong there?
THE FREELOADER.

Guten tag, from Oregon, USA. No habla Deustch. Hi, I am new on this forum and I just got into the ST world with my '07 1300. No ABS on this one :( I love this bike. I had seen them as police bikes and loved their looks. I got out of a relationship and wanted to add to my singular bike stable. My '98 VFR800FI was lonely. I got my VFR a younger bigger brother. Bigger brother wears Michelin PR 4 GT's for his 'shoes'. The front tire is from the 23rd week of 2021. The rear tire is from the 44th week of 2021. The tires were put on the week I test rode it (two weeks ago) and I rode my ST recently back from Washington state (180 miles from home). I would say the seat is not so nice for my backside. I bought a foam cushion to add some backside support. I was able to ride all the way back home with a fill up near the beginning of my ride. I don't know much about tires, but I will say you get what you pay for. My vfr needs its front tire replaced, but that talk is for another forum. ;)

Bike
2007 ST1300
My ST on Bridgestone T31 GTs a cold 42 psi would routinely exceed 50 psi hot solo riding no cargo. Ambient temps 90F+ on sunny roads. I had to keep raising the high temp warning until finally 51.5 psi.
I put on T32's earlier this year and they have the highest pressure rise of any tire I've ever had. I'm glad to see that your experience is roughly the same as mine. Now I won't worry as much when they hit 50psi on hot days.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The folks at the OEMs spend a lot of time testing, measuring and sorting out the optimal tire pressures and so I always recommend that people simply go with the OE recommendations.

Pete

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The folks at the OEMs spend a lot of time testing, measuring and sorting out the optimal tire pressures and so I always recommend that people simply go with the OE recommendations.

Pete
The legal team set pressures on the ST1300. When the bike was released the first time the pressures were mid 30s F and high 30s maybe 40 R. After the 2002 recall they went to 42/42, the max cold PSI recommended by OEM tire suppliers Dunlop and Bridgestone.

I typically run right at 42 as the Honda engineers recommend, for riding alone....I know folks that swear by 44 vs 42....when I am 2-up I always run 44 PSI front & back.
I go about 280 lbs & MammaMoto is about a buck 60....so I know we are pushing the limits...but 2 up, I almost always ride more conservatively.
I just carved the back Michelin 5 down to the Aramid fibers on the sides touring the PNW....I cannot say enough about these tires in the Heavy rains up there....just excellent wet traction.
In replacing the stock sized REAR, I went all the way up to 190/55-17 in their new GT version, designed for heavier touring bikes.....it is a 75W weight rated tire!...
I am just wondering if I will get the same excellent handling at say 40 vs 42PSI due to the bigger size and stronger Carcass on this new tire?...
-All intelligent opinions are eagerly anticipated......
I am a fanatic about tire pressures, have installed 87 degree billet aluminum racing valve stems long ago, to make it as easy as possible to get each mornings COLD PSI check performed.
(I never want to be that guy lying on his back unconscious out in the number one lane, when his bride wakes up to some blood on the inside of her visor in the ditch and see's her old man
out there from ejection due to a shredded/blown out Rear tire, from lazy or stupid failure to insure proper tire inflation.)....I know of at least 4 such couples ...and most of them spent some
serious hospital time, after surviving such an avoidable scenario....lazy folks fighting rear bags, is no excuse for not checking tire pressures. 112+ degree riding temps kill underinflated tires...
RIDE SAFE, HAVE FUN, Wear those tires out....don't blow them out! -DP

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Let experience be your guide. The St1300's 42/42 psi recommendation is borne out of litigation, not whether or not 42 fits all riders in all riding configurations. The Michelin GT tires have the same load rating as non-GTs. Your load rating is higher because the tire is a larger size than the stock 170/60. It's going to handle differently than it did before. Do you have TPMS onboard? Heating the tires up and watching the resultant pressure increase will tell you a lot. Opinions vary but gaining 10 to 20% psi hot indicates the cold PSI is in the ball park.

You might keep all the questions to one post or respond to one thread. I see three different queries on the same questions?

Last edited:
Top Bottom