Helmets Pinlock anti-fog inserts

I took mine out on my neotec. I wasn't impressed with it, and the added lens and gap just seemed to distort my vision.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I used one for years. Unlike many others I didn't remove it very often and as a result it got more or less stuck on my visor. Once I did remove it, it ruined the seal (left half of it on my visor), so it was basically unusable. I bought a new one, and spent a lot of time cleaning off the residual mess from the old pinlock insert, and the same thing happened again. I guess you may be OK if you remove it frequently, but I have now ditched this and simply ride with my Schubert visor as is...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
After a year with mine in the Neotec 2, it's a keeper.
This time, a nice young guy at Cycle Gear installed it for me when i bought the helmet. Now, if it were to come off and wreck the inside of my shield, I would buy a new shield and ask him to put on another Pinlock.
My attempts with a Fog City one never lasted this long, but I always installed it myself.
Some dislike them, and that's OK.
Other than some minor distortion at the very bottom corners, it's a great help to me. I have often had fogging issues in rainy or cold weather.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just saw it. Can't say if it works or not. Just one other solution to the problem?
Most riders have that much crap on themselves and their bikes I wouldn't have thought one more would make much difference.
Upt.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
With older helmets I have had fogging was a big problem. I have a Neotec now. It came with a pin lock. I have never used it. The most that I seem to need to do is crack the visor open to the first detent.

Years ago I had a Bell helmet where the visor was held on with four snaps. It was either on or off, no in between for ventilation. Fogged so badly that I almost killed myself a few times because I couldn't see well enough. Good that things progress and improve.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I have discovered that the pinlock shield itself is made from a relatively soft material. Be careful when you clean the inside of your shield if you have a pinlock installed. It seems to scratch easy. Other than that, it works very good.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I bought the Shoei GT-Air 2 helmet that came with the Pinlock insert just over a year ago. I rode about 3 times in cool weather without it, and I quickly realized the benefits of installing it. Rather than pull it out in warmer weather I left it in (mostly because I didn't want to destroy it in storage, and I was worried about deforming the seal). But, I think I inadvertently cooked it in the Texas heat. Has anyone experienced a distortion in which the bottom of the Pinlock lifts off/folds away from the visor and creates a ~1/16" gap? I suspect the root cause of this was riding up to 30mph with the visor up. This allowed air pressure to contact that lower seal.

Any tricks to fix this (maybe a heat gun, or??). It isn't too noticeable at the moment, but riding to work in the rain I had some water drops get between the Pinlock and the visor which was quite annoying.

As always, your advice is very much appreciated!

Ryan

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I bought the Shoei GT-Air 2 helmet that came with the Pinlock insert just over a year ago. I rode about 3 times in cool weather without it, and I quickly realized the benefits of installing it. Rather than pull it out in warmer weather I left it in (mostly because I didn't want to destroy it in storage, and I was worried about deforming the seal). But, I think I inadvertently cooked it in the Texas heat. Has anyone experienced a distortion in which the bottom of the Pinlock lifts off/folds away from the visor and creates a ~1/16" gap? I suspect the root cause of this was riding up to 30mph with the visor up. This allowed air pressure to contact that lower seal.

Any tricks to fix this (maybe a heat gun, or??). It isn't too noticeable at the moment, but riding to work in the rain I had some water drops get between the Pinlock and the visor which was quite annoying.

As always, your advice is very much appreciated!

Ryan
Yes Ryan, two years back I deformed mine by thousands of miles in the sun with the visor up. I did not try to reform it as retailer sent me two after I bought one. Seems taking it out for the longest days of the year is a good idea. I left it out this year May, June, July, August. Seeing how heat was probably the main culprit, heat gun may not help.

Back to the fogging problem without using the pinlock, I know this sounds weird unless you spend any time under water diving. But I have used spit on my visor and had good results restricting fogging.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Back to the fogging problem without using the pinlock, I know this sounds weird unless you spend any time under water diving. But I have used spit on my visor and had good results restricting fogging.
Under the water, I've been known to use that personal technique.
Haven't had to do so with a pinlock, thus far.

Me either. Although I haven't gotten a pinlock for my Arai. It is pinlock ready with the knobs on it. But since retirement happened it hasn't been necessary as much.
When I used the pinlock before it did work really well and if I was still commuting through the winter I would definitely get one.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dunno, heading north through Sweden two weeks ago we hit some pretty nasty downpours with cool air temps and was glad to have the pinlock in, especially during dawn...
It's also highly useful during cold morning temps up in the Alps...
The quality by Shoei is really top notch, the pinlock sits and seals like when the lid came fresh out the box...
GF has a Schubert C3 and had to remove her's, it leaked thus actually collected water between the screens, resulting in a Jim 'Wash Out' Pfaffenbach view-field (Jon Cryer in Hot Shots) which I remember well from the Nolan N100 back in the day (that also had crappy fit/quality...)

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
GF has a Schubert C3 and had to remove her's, it leaked thus actually collected water between the screens,
The little posts that hold the pinlock screen can be turned which affects how the it fits to the screen, did you try adjusting them?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I leave my pinlock on my Shoei RF-SR all year in Florida. It keeps the fog away in the winter and also during the summer when the afternoon rains hit.
I tried riding with my visor cracked open when I first got the helmet but I usually ended up with stuff collecting on my glasses from either coming in through the gap at the bottom or the gap at the top of the shield.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
The little posts that hold the pinlock screen can be turned which affects how the it fits to the screen, did you try adjusting them?
Oh interesting. I wonder if this is the same on the Shoei? I noticed I was fighting the pins a little on install, I wonder if they are clocked in the wrong position. More than likely, I just warped mine - but I will check and report.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Of course I'm aware that those are cranks...
Same concept on the N100 back in the 90ies... just doesn't help when it's actually the main visor that has stretched in length (due the tension of the pinlock), which causes it to leak at the top seal of the helmet shell (which is what I meant with lack of quality, had to replace the Nolan visor twice a year, even upgraded the top seal to the N101 version, still started to leak after some time... grounded the lid after two seasons...)

Top Bottom