2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Swapped out my Angel GT's today so I thought I would post my results:

(Made in China front and rear)
Installed: 27,995
Removed: 41,813

Mileage: 13,818

Riding style: commuting, 120mi/day, solo
Weight: ~160lbs
Temps: 27F-113F (over the duration of the install)

Overall, I was quite happy with these. While you can see in the photos that they are cupped a bit, I check my tire pressures weekly so this was rather unavoidable. They were not quite down to the wear bars but this was the best time for my schedule to pull the wheels and have the local shop mount/balance them. I am now on the new Bridgestone T31's because of a great price. Hopefully, they will do as well.

20181117_094442.jpg
20181117_091824.jpg

Most recent set are Angel GTs (China), though the rear took on a screw (less than 2k miles), so switched it to T31GT. Will keep front A. GT, till it needs replacement.

Thanks for feedback!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hope I get at least 75% of what you got, but I'm somewhat heftier. Anything from 9,000 up will be good by me. They're at 5,900+ now and look to have a fair amount of life left.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
What have been your results with other tires? I find that just as important on a mileage report since I have seen guys get another 50% more than me. I'm curious if you have used a Battleax or PR4 so I can compare. I get 6,000 out of a PR4 and Battleax pretty much every time and need a 8-10k mile tire.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
interesting! Living in florida, I wear out the center of my tires way too fast. Was going to put on a CT before my trip next year (fl to ca), but if I can get 13,000 from a set of MC tires, I'll do that instead.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have been running the Angel GT on the front of my 1100 (now on my 3rd one), and get 9-11000km from them, but I do ride reasonably quickly almost exclusively on coarse-chip twisty roads. Interestingly all 3 of my GT's have been made in Germany, and a friend who works for the Metzeler importer here tell me that the Angel GT is actually made on the same line as the Metzeler Z8. I pair the Angel with a Bridgestone BT023 at the back and that lasts a similar distance.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Loved the Angel GT A-spec rear tire. Great mileage,,, it refused to die. The GT front tire was a different story,,, as it died a relatively quick death,, badly cupped and uneven wear in half the distance. So I have fond memories of the rear,, but don't miss the front GT tire. My current Metzler choices are out performing the GT's though,,, by a bit on the rear,,, and a lot on the front end. Metzler is a close cousin of the Pirelli tire anyway,,, just a bit more oriented to touring,, imho,,, cheers,, Cat'

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Almost 14k on a rear is much better than I did with a Bridgestone T30 (7k). I'll have to give them a try.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
For those who suffer from cupping.... how often or, when was the last time you serviced your forks with fresh fluid? That's a major cause of cupping.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I had about 12000 km on mine ,lots of tread left but a belt broke and very rapidly deflated .Some cupping on he front but really not liking the belt breaking no idea this happened . Tire pressures were always proper .

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Could you explain how this works,, please. I just don't want to guess,,, thx,, Cat'
If the fork is not compressing and especially rebounding as it should, the tire can "skid along" the road surface as it rebounds after compressing.

And this from the Dunlop website...

"
How can I keep my tires from cupping?

You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurrence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on most four-wheel vehicles, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle: Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front and suspension. Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear. Maintain your tire pressures. Under inflation and overloading of motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use.

Once a tire begins to show signs of uneven wear, even following these steps may not improve the condition.

Tire companies can, and are, helping to minimize cupping and uneven wear but you, the rider, must do your part. Following the aforementioned guidelines will help avoid uneven wear."

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a chat with the Michelin Rep at the Long Beach Motorcycle show yesterday.

I asked him when the PR 5GT was going to be available and he had no answer. So it looks like the PR 4GT for awhile.

But one thing I did asked him was about, was about balancing with the beads VS static balancing. He said that balancing with the beads could actually VOID any warranty if you "happen" to have a quality issue with your tire. Which I find interesting. After changing over to using the beads (since my tire installer/balancer [Byron] moved to Kentucky) that my front tire doesn't cupp anywhere near as bad, since the tire stays balanced during the life of the tire.

I didn't talk to him about plugging tires, since I know that would void any warranty..:rofl1:

OP
OP
wczimmerman
Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
What have been your results with other tires? I find that just as important on a mileage report since I have seen guys get another 50% more than me. I'm curious if you have used a Battleax or PR4 so I can compare. I get 6,000 out of a PR4 and Battleax pretty much every time and need a 8-10k mile tire.
Sadly, no with this bike. I bought it used in March and it already had a set of the Angel GT's with unknown miles on them. I swapped them for the second set of GT's after about 9100 miles as I was pleased with their performance. I will say that the GT's have performed very well in terms of grip, even handling a bit of water/mud running over the road in the middle of the night :eek:

As I mentioned, I decided to give the Bridgestones a try after the better pricing and, secondarily, that they are made in Japan. Bunny trail: so far, so good. They seem a bit more sensitive to steering inputs than the GT's but not in a negative way. At 600 miles per week, it won't take long to rack up the miles.

Top Bottom