Plasti Dip Saddle Bags

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
The saddle bags on my ST1300 were pretty scratched up when I got it. Since they're plastic it limits the options for refinishing them. I've had poor results when trying to paint things myself. Professional paint jobs seemed like a waste of money. I did see another post about using truck bed liner and even though $125 wasn't that bad, I couldn't justify it. I've never used Plasti Dip before but I had considered using it to paint my wheels on my car to cover the curb rash. I bought two spray cans at Lowe's for around $12 and had enough for both saddle bags, all four wheels on my car, and I have some left over. I just used a matte black and none of the extra products they sell in the wheel kit. I think they turned out pretty good and I can always peel it off and do it again if I change my mind! It sprays on glossy and dries matte, and you can always paint extra coats if you don't get full coverage.

image.jpg
Shiny, but scratched and scuffed

image[1].jpg
Close up of the damage

image[2].jpg
Taped around area I wanted to cover

image.jpg
Glossy after the first spray

image[4].jpg
First coat dry with a nice matte finish

image[5].jpg
Dry and tape removed

Last edited:
Bike
No bike
STOC #
Wow! I'm surprised how even it looks, I'm curious to see how durable it is.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Looks good. If you wanted to match the original glossy finish, can you get that from Plasti Dip?
I wouldn't mind trying the matte finish you used for the textured portions of the bags on my '03.

OP
OP
lawlknight
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
Looks good. If you wanted to match the original glossy finish, can you get that from Plasti Dip?
I wouldn't mind trying the matte finish you used for the textured portions of the bags on my '03.
They have different "enhancers" that can give a different finish; metallic, chameleon, pearl, and gloss. They have a lot of different colors and if you don't like it you can just peel it off.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I did not sand at all and it coats like rubber, so there's no imperfections showing through. Just looks nice and smooth.
Okay, that's great to know... I know I did some stuff on my truck and it showed the texture through but I probably didn't coat it very thick.

OP
OP
lawlknight
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
Okay, that's great to know... I know I did some stuff on my truck and it showed the texture through but I probably didn't coat it very thick.
Could be, but the scratches on my bags weren't very deep either. I did the wheels on my car too and it seemed to fill in the curb rash pretty well. Might just be how many coats of it you put on, but the only prep I did was to wash and dry everything.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Innnteresting. I was considering coating the frame with truck bed liner (the zipper pulls on my Roadcrafter have done a number on the paint), but if this stuff is peelable, I might have to try it.

How did it do at the edges where the tape was?

--Mark

OP
OP
lawlknight
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
Innnteresting. I was considering coating the frame with truck bed liner (the zipper pulls on my Roadcrafter have done a number on the paint), but if this stuff is peelable, I might have to try it.

How did it do at the edges where the tape was?

--Mark
I really wasn't all that careful with the whole thing since it was cheap and removable. I had a few spots where the tape didn't peel a straight line. I just ended up putting down a new strip of tape and touching it up and it was fine.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I can see scratches all over...oh wait...there on my phone screen..sorry.
That looks really good, got to try this product on my Givi bags. I like that matte finish [emoji106]

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Has anyone tried the full peel off? Any residual issues? Besides the ugly bag that we covered returning.

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Very interested in this discussion! Just bought a set of used wheels for my son's Camry that were coated black with this. They have been neglected a while since the seller ended up with aftermarket wheels. He told me it is easy to peel and recover, we just haven't tied into the project yet...

OP
OP
lawlknight
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
Has anyone tried the full peel off? Any residual issues? Besides the ugly bag that we covered returning.
If you do a nice thick coat it should all peal off in one piece with no residue.

[video=youtube;kicJ8A4JAAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicJ8A4JAAw[/video]

Top Bottom