plug thoughts ....

Hello everyone ! Now that mother nature has put old man winter back in the home ,here in central ontario , Its time to get the bike out , And I want to talk spark plugs .I replaced the Plugs in my 02 1100 with iridium plugs, and it seemed to run better on the others . Ihad 86 vt 1100 previous, and I swapped some champion equivalents in It and it seemed to run better ( the ngks werent irridium in that bike . anyone try champions ? Opinions please Thanks , Frankly .

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
anyone try champions ? '
Actually, yes, but not recently. Back when I had my '73 CB750, I put standard Champion plugs in it, despite warnings that they simply wouldn't work well in a Japanese bike. I also used Amoco premium whenever possible.

After about four years of year-round riding, I pulled them to look at them. They were so clean that I just checked the gaps and put them back in and ran them for another four years. I never had a single problem with them.

I may just have to try them again. Here's the 1100 plug:

They show the 1300 will take that one and another one:

Do both models of bikes normally use the same plugs? The plug listed for both models says "Non-Resistor Type; Recommended for Racing Purposes Only". Is ignition RF noise the only problem with non-resistor plugs?

In other words, I wonder why the resistor plug isn't listed as an option for the 1100. Are the standard plugs resistor pugs?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If the Iridium that you put in are NGK, there a lot of counterfeit NGK Iridium spark plugs floating around. May be you got some bad knock-offs depending on where you bought them from.

I don't see the need for Iridium. Honda calls for NGK CR8EH-9 or Nippondenso U24FER-9. I have always used the standard NGK with no issues. Honda already tested them in that application and they work well in that application. Why reinvent the wheel?

I would suggest that you go to a reliable retailer, i.e. not an online seller, who is very unlikely to be bothered with buying from some unknown on-line source. You want a retailer who is getting their spark plugs from a distributor who gets them directly from NGK or Nippondenso, so that they are coming through reliable controlled channels to avoid the possibility of counterfeits. Places such as the major auto parts chains, or your local Honda dealer who gets them directly from Honda Canada.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Imho The NGK's are the only game in town. Got them in my car and motorcycle and lawn mower. Those champions I had to replace them every year in my mower. With the NGK change every 5 years.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't see the need for Iridium. Honda calls for NGK CR8EH-9 or Nippondenso U24FER-9. I have always used the standard NGK with no issues. Honda already tested them in that application and they work well in that application. Why reinvent the wheel?
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
If the Iridium that you put in are NGK, there a lot of counterfeit NGK Iridium spark plugs floating around. May be you got some bad knock-offs depending on where you bought them from.

I would suggest that you go to a reliable retailer, i.e. not an online seller, who is very unlikely to be bothered with buying from some unknown on-line source. You want a retailer who is getting their spark plugs from a distributor who gets them directly from NGK or Nippondenso, so that they are coming through reliable controlled channels to avoid the possibility of counterfeits. Places such as the major auto parts chains, or your local Honda dealer who gets them directly from Honda Canada.
I don t remember if I online purchased , Typically go local supplier If I can ,but may have gotten knockoffs as you suggest , That may be the cause Will replace and find out . Thanks !

Top Bottom