Police Switches ST 1100

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Martin Schneuer said:
What is "Whelen LIN3"?
The Whelen LIN3 is a 3-LED emergency service light module. It's one of many models and brands on the market aimed at professional emergency service vehicles. Federal is another major brand. As such that have a lot of different selectable patterns and colors and uses as provided by law.

Many of us have co-opted one of the brand/versions to use as an auxilary brakelight. As state laws very regarding their use on private vehicles those of us who use one pays our money and takes our chances (because of the flashing of the light). An individual can buy them from most any reseller. It's how they're used that may be questioned.

I think most of us have never been stopped but there's always a first time. Having one switched at a handlebar pod is prudent.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
If you want to remain legal you can set the LIN3 for continuous burn and use a brake light flasher like this one that flashes four times and then remains on. As far as I know it is 50 state legal in the US.

3rd brake flasher

Bike
2010 ST1300
What is "Whelen LIN3"?
You might check out Whelen's website. At least two of us have used their M7 for an aux. brake light. This thing is so bright that if you very lightly tap your brake to make the light come on at speed without activating the brake calipers, your speed will increase about 10 mph from the photon push.

Whelen sells them for use on emergency vehicles. While they are expensive new, you can find them for half price (used) on ebay. It might take a bit of thought to figure out their numbering system. Other companies make comparable lights.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
beemerphile said:
use a brake light flasher like this one that flashes four times and then remains on. As far as I know it is 50 state legal in the US.
That meets CA's requirement for a flashing brake light but I don't know about other states. Unlike a headlight modulator I don't know if there's a federal standard. Without one it's difficult to believe 50 states could agree on anything let alone with CA on anything. :rofl1:

I use this one for my car's CHMSL and will use one on my Rowe 3rd Brake Light. It's not CA legal but I haven't been stopped yet (knocking on wood).

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
That meets CA's requirement for a flashing brake light but I don't know about other states.
Their web site calls it 50 state legal. Lane-sharing being the exception, it is usually the case that if something is 49 state legal, California is the place where it is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom